Be careful putting these engines together

-
This guy's shop....I can't even explain this pattern!

1696882757725.png

Isn’t flipping the pistons an Uncle Tony trick ?
Flipping all 8.

We did that flat top 340 pistons with floating pins and 4 valve reliefs. It cut down on piston slap noise.

I made this mistake before. I didn't know about it until I installed a bigger cam and my new heads. People make mistakes. Even us white dudes.

I have a 408 that someone else built that I took in on trade with a rod knock. Used standard width bearings on journals with filets.

My guess? Broken rod or piston pin, piston slides up to the head and rotates every time the intake valve hits it, ..... until the engine quits.
I have seen that before. Typically as mentioned. Usually it breaks the piston before it makes a full circle though. I am curious as to what was found there.

Guy brought this to me, new engine build, said high rpms there was a tapping sound, it ran great, no misses, ran it up to 4500 rpms and the tapping started. Checked all the top end, and was solid. Pulled the heads and behold, a piston was installed in the wrong direction, lucky he ran 450 lift cam,. Actually he ran Harlan sharp 1:6 rockers, which in turn made them 470 lift

View attachment 1716151704

View attachment 1716151705
When I see something like this, I think it was done intentionally.

Sorry to say I disagree with you. Some guys are very capable of this.
We had a Member selling "fresh rebuilds" here that posted a 440 I believe with them upside down, and the intake/exhaust notches on the wrong sides, :wtf:

Several years ago, a younger guy I know built a nice Edelbrock headed 408. He had the heads ported, a good solid flat tappet cam, good crank and rods. He installed every piston upside down. The engine fired right up and immediately bent a bunch of pushrods and valves. I had offered to help or even build it for him, and he declined any help. Some lessons are hard learned and not soon forgotten.

I can’t tell you how many times guys have spotted issues from pictures posted on Facebook. Saving those guys 1000’s of dollars. Facebook sucks lol

Guy brought this to me, new engine build, said high rpms there was a tapping sound, it ran great, no misses, ran it up to 4500 rpms and the tapping started. Checked all the top end, and was solid. Pulled the heads and behold, a piston was installed in the wrong direction, lucky he ran 450 lift cam,. Actually he ran Harlan sharp 1:6 rockers, which in turn made them 470 lift

View attachment 1716151704

View attachment 1716151705
Should purchase a lottery ticket.

woof. that's down right malarky.

i had a builder put the #2 & 4 pistons in with the valve reliefs switched and hung a valve, so yeah, i can see that but this? how in the ever loving ****. i'd absolutely love to hear the excuse on this one.
But he was just doing what UTG [uncle tony] says to do LOL

-
Back