bearings

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
my 440 is about done with the machine work. So I'm searching for recommendations for what bearing brand j should go with. The shop I'm using primarily uses clevlite and some brand called kings. But he said he'll put what ever brand I want in so any thoughts? I'm looking for high quality over cheapness.

I used Clevite like your shop recommends. The only thing I would warn you of is running full grooved mains. I did this on my last engine and had to run 20w50 oil to get just enough oil pressure. This one I ran 3/4 grooves and didn't have a problem.

King IMO is a better bearing. If it was a race car, I'd run Kings. But for most things the right Clevite/FM bearing will be fine.

King IMO is a better bearing. If it was a race car, I'd run Kings. But for most things the right Clevite/FM bearing will be fine.

So would king bearings survive in a street car?

Also, the kings are 1/2 groove bearings, would that be a concern?

I hope so. I've gott hem in my truck's 360...lol. There was a trend to go with full groove bearings. Personally I've never "bit" on that one for a street/strip or strip engine. I have run 3/4 groove in some applications but IMO you don't need full groove unless you're really revving it or sustaining high rpms - like in road racing. It is much more critical to have the bearing bores machined well, and the wear surface machined well. King has tighter quality control and the result is a better product IMO. That doesn't mean FM is crap, it's not. But it isn't the top of the line. IMO - King is. However, if the machining isn't high quality too, then the top of the line bearing isn't going to be at it's best either.

I hope so. I've gott hem in my truck's 360...lol. There was a trend to go with full groove bearings. Personally I've never "bit" on that one for a street/strip or strip engine. I have run 3/4 groove in some applications but IMO you don't need full groove unless you're really revving it or sustaining high rpms - like in road racing. It is much more critical to have the bearing bores machined well, and the wear surface machined well. King has tighter quality control and the result is a better product IMO. That doesn't mean FM is crap, it's not. But it isn't the top of the line. IMO - King is. However, if the machining isn't high quality too, then the top of the line bearing isn't going to be at it's best either.
Well good cause I went with King's lol for extra 20 bucks, why not go to the top

I plan on using M series clevite's.. I am doing a 438 stroker 383 with boost.. ordering most of it through 440source..

I like 3/4 groove mains = more oil to the rod bearings than 1/2 groove, and more support for the crank than full groove. I have disassembled a lot of engines with 1/2 groove mains, and seen a lot of worn rod bearings

I like 3/4 groove mains = more oil to the rod bearings than 1/2 groove, and more support for the crank than full groove. I have disassembled a lot of engines with 1/2 groove mains, and seen a lot of worn rod bearings

after running both I'd agree. It's a nice happy medium.

-
Back