Before I make a mistake please help new mopar fan!!

-
The Max Wedge 413's had the cross rams. I believe there were 413 4 barrels also in those early years..

Max wedges were not the only ones. Some of the "big boats" used the so called "long ram"

This is NOT a "max wedge":

456863985faTdyi_ph.jpg

I was looking for something I can Just drop in stock and have the torque. I can't find a magnum 360 around and really didn't want to crack open the bottem end untill I could do it right. So I was looking for something at least 9.5 compression that I could cam intake and add a set of headers. I heard a 383 makes close to 440 torque stock and I won't be taken corners to fast haha plus cool factor or a big block is a plus I will keep my eye open for the best deal either a 360 magnum or a early high comp 383

you know this is going to snowball right? keep in mind the condition of a 40 year old long block, the rings and bores are more than likely not going to be in the best condition to make power reguardless of the original compression ratio. add in the higher compression engines usually didnt have hardened valve seats for unleaded gas, good chance of needing a valve job. you could have the heads decked and run a steel shim gasket to raise the compression. your going to have to do valve springs with your cam swap too.

plenty of 360 magnum motors in the U-pull it yards cheap 9:1 compression roller cam find them in dakotas, durangos, vans, pickups

I found a 383 that was rebuilt to stock specs the guy wants like 1500 seems alil steep considering it's been rebuilt 6 years ago and sitting I'm a garage. Where is the you pull it with the magnum 360. I ony have friendship junkyard by me and he only had one 318. I can rering a motor just don't want to have to bore untill I can do it right. I just picked up two 727 trannys today. One small block one big block from a friend who just had them sitting so I'm good either way haha

The old MYTH about not being to make a big block A-body handle is just that, a MYTH. We've done it and have the autocross videos to prove it..............

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajBllTF3574"]YouTube - Alan autocross 8_25_2002 run 3.mpg[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uql1FmAq5yA"]YouTube - Alan autocross 8_11_2002 run 2.mpg[/ame]

And, BEFORE you mention something about the tire size, we first ran on 14" mags with 205-60-14s (the largest "H" rated 14" tire you could buy at the time).

I recently completed a warmed-up 440, 4speed with a .68 OD &
3.91 x 8.75" rear axle, into a properly prepared 69 Barracuda. More power than I can get to the ground with Firehawk 275x15 radial street tires. Slicks and trac-bars would help but then I'll start breaking axles if I jump on it. A BB. A-body is an awsome machine and a ball to drive, but in reality..it's too much power (or is that much power almost just right)? for the chassis & light weight of an A-body for anything but racing. Don't get me wrong, I love my 440'Cuda clone but if there is any water on the pavement.. forget about it.

I'm not going to try and sway you either way. It's your car build it the way YOU want it. The big block has it fans, and certainly carries the Wow factor. But if you're a young guy who is new to Mopars, a small block swap would get you where you want to be with a lot less headaches.

You live in New Jersey and can't find a Magnum 360?!? Go on Craigslist for your area and just search. Use different keywords, Magnum 360 Dakota Ram, not all at once. They're not that hard to find. I found this one outside of Pilly in less than 2 minutes!!

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/2045939690.html

BTW, there is a thread somewhere here where a member put a junkyard Magnum in an A body and has it running in the 11's I believe. Good luck with your build whatever you decide to do, and keep us posted!

Hmm I'm going to have to look into the 360 also. That's weird you found that. They had 5.9 instead of 360. I forgot about that. I do really want a big block well because i use to be in foxbody mustangs ( don't flame. I know it was mistake) and all they have is a measley 302... So I will look into the magnum and 383 and depending on the better deal I'll go that way.

The old MYTH about not being to make a big block A-body handle is just that, a MYTH. We've done it and have the autocross videos to prove it..............

I didn't mean that one couldn't make a big block A-body handle well. Lots of cars with unfavorable weight distribution have been made to "work" at the dragstrip also.
It's just that it is more difficult and takes more time and money, which just adds to the other issues needed to be addressed with the swap.

I wasn't ruling out a small block 340 but the 340 are alot more money than a 383 or 440... If I could find a newer magnum 360 I would think about that. But cool factor of a big block is cool an you can't beat the torque
My small block 410(stroked 360)walks around many big blocks of all brands and has oodles of torque.Parts are easier to find for a SB and are a little easier to pick one up from a runner at the wreckers.

383 is listed at only 60 lbs heavier than a 360. spark plugs are actually pretty easy to change, takes me 1/2 hr on my 431 with tti headers. bellhousing bolts are easier to acces than a small block. you can fit manual or power steering depending on the headers. headers dont trap the steering like most sb headers. ground clearance is not an issue. no doubt you can make a lot of power with either setup, but you can make insane power with even a 5.0 fox body mustang, which is a lighter and much weaker unibody, and they still work just fine.

What's the best head casting numbers? Or what is most likely on a 67 non hp engine? Prolly junky heads? Still enough to make 350hp 425torque without porting?

67 383 would probably have 516 heads, they are a closed chamber with a 1.60 exhasut valve and 2.8 intake. to make good power you should at least cut the exhaust for the 1.74 valve. they dont have hardened seats. you are going to spend some decent cash on those heads to make them work. the short block came with a flat top piston way down in the hole so if you put a better set of open chamber heads on the stock shortblock, you will have extremely low compresion. like 7.0:1. if it was already rebuilt, you never know whats in it.

Not sure what's in the 360 that is in my car, but it's an animal. Whoever built it built it right. I love smallblocks.

So guys I got a line on a 383 from a member on here and then my cousin comes over sees my duster and has a guy that is gonna sell me a 340? There only 200 difference in price and both run. Conviemce me which way I should go? And which will be better for street car that can run a mid 12 pass but still drivable

Well as far as fitment the 340 wins. But the 383 will fit with the right headers or manifolds and the correct oil pan. It's a lot more work to fit the 383,but out of the big blocks it fits the best like a 400. Best thing to do would be stroke it with a 440 steel crank for more cubes. How much for the 340 and how much for the 383?

Can get the 383 for 300 runs has aluminum performer intake thinks it was rebuilt about 5000 mile ago. The 340 is 500 plus a performer rpm ford intake Came out of a cuda not sure how long ago it was rebuilt but says. Runs strong and will let me here it run.

$500 for a running 340 is a steal! and 340's are GREAT engines! wish I could find one for that price,

Though I've never owned one, I agree with caferacerx, the 340s were great engines. 500 does seem pretty cheap for it too. If you really want to go with a big block, you could almost buy the 340 and sell it for a bit of profit to help fund the BB.

Though I've never owned one, I agree with caferacerx, the 340s were great engines. 500 does seem pretty cheap for it too. If you really want to go with a big block, you could almost buy the 340 and sell it for a bit of profit to help fund the BB.

YES! Sinister beat me to it. Buy both motors if you can afford it. $300 for a rebuilt 383 is a steal too,especially if it runs or can be made to run easy. Heck the pistons in the 383 are worth $300.

-
Back