Bench Seat Angle

-

mrichard

Reaction score
I just purchased a 4 door 72 Dart, basic model. Is there any way to adjust the angle of the bench seat. It's just a little too raked back for me, but I'm not seeing any obvious way to adjust it. I'm wondering if there is a way to move it forward by using the bracket that attaches it to the bottom seat? Thanks for the help.

dart10.jpg

In the absence of something specific, you could try a spacer under the rear bracket. Maybe start with 1/4" with a stack of washers and adjust from there. That little bit won't be noticable in the seat, but would make quite a difference at the top of the back.
C

Also check the Seat Springs.... commenly broken and will set you down in the back/butt area.

Later,
Bruce B.

yup The mounting studs through the floor are over an inch long. If you loosen them you can use slotted spacers like gm front end shims between the track and floor. The tricky part is loosening the rusted studs and nuts. They break often.

thanks for the help here. It's the front seat. I'm going to pull it out this weekend, take a look at seats, put in spacers. I was going to have it recovered but way too expensive, so I just bought a two-piece black bench cover and will cover the bottom part of the seat with it. Gonna try the spacers - but do you know where to get springs for the seats? Are those still sourced?

The spring stock is pretty much generic. Your local upholstery shop should have it onhand.

My Dart had spcers under the front to give it more angle when I got it from my friend. He was 6'9 and needed the extra head room. But I am only 5'5 and with it like that I had a hard time reching the peddles even with the seat all the way forwered so I took them out. It did work pretty well though.

Anyone have any instructions, pics for removal of a front bench seat on a 72. I'm having a heck of a time finding those bolts and how to get at them?

No pics handy but.....
There are 2 on each side of your car.
They might be up in a kinda Bracket but you should be able to see them by looking under the car.
You will see a Threaded Stud with a Bolt/Washer snugged up to the Floor.

Hope this helped!
Later,
Bruce B.

Ahh, so they are accessible under the car, not under the seat?

yup The mounting studs through the floor are over an inch long. If you loosen them you can use slotted spacers like gm front end shims between the track and floor. The tricky part is loosening the rusted studs and nuts. They break often.

Spray them with penetrant and cross your fingers. That stud has a rounded button of a head and they are swedged into a square hole. If it should turn loose you'll find yourself trying to get visegrips on it under the seat.
One more thing... If you plan to take the seat out of the car, move the seat all the way forward before you start.

Ok, so if I get this right, they bolted the seats THROUGH the bottom of the car. When I take them out, I may just replace the hardware anyway. But when I re-insert, should I put some type of caulking there, silicone or something?

Ok, so if I get this right, they bolted the seats THROUGH the bottom of the car. When I take them out, I may just replace the hardware anyway. But when I re-insert, should I put some type of caulking there, silicone or something?
The factory didn't put any sealant there . The nut has a toothed waher that covers to hole.
If you are taking the seat out and will be handling it, cover those studs with rubber tubing or duct tape or something. The seat is awkward to handle and the studs will bite you. How do you spell Tetnis shot ?
I wouldn't replace the studs with hex heads unless I didn't have a choise. A wrench is no easier to use under the seat than visegrips are.

Great, thanks. Found em and now they are soaking in WD-40 overnite.

-
Back