Best 3/8 fuel pump solution?

-

Valvebounce

Reaction score
a couple of weeks ago, myself and a couple or mates went to a party.
One of the mates is from the other end of the country. The party was also a beer pong championship/tournament. One of the mates I went with actually lives at the other end of the country, and I don't see much of him.
We rock up to the party,
There's a bar in the garage, a small swimming pool with a fire drum sitting on a pallet in it to heat it up. And a stripper pole, with carpet, and LED lights around the carpet.
There was a Beer pong table set up for the competition.
I'd been entered, in a team with my local mate. But he piked out, and my other mate stepped up. (If you don't know about beer pong, google it)

The rules stated that if a team flashed their tits, (Girls only) the other team had to drink. And one of the attendees was reportedly a stripper by trade too. (She certainly knew how to work the pole even with her clothes on)
So we're getting into out heat of the beer pong tournament.
And my phone rings. It was my dad.

I knew he was heading away for his annual summer holiday trip on that day. (Southern hemispere for the win!) Towing is caravan, with his Aussie Valiant hardtop. (Pretty much a '68 Dart, with a different front clip) Runs a 340/418 stroker. eagle crank and rods, Icon forged pistons, RHS heads, Air gap etc etc.

My heart sank. I'd even made a bet with my non car guy brother who lives in sweden. He bet that that Dad's car would break down on his trip.
So I answered the phone. Dad was about 70 miles from home, and his 3/8 mecanical fuel pump with barely 1000 miles on it has coughed it's lot.
My mate (from out of town) wasn't boozed yet, so I got my mrs to come pick us up. We rocked to my house, and pulled the standard fuel pump off my my 318. Also got some bits and bobs. And my mate drove us over to dads old workshop at my mums. I fired up the lathe, and turned up a 5/16 to 3/8 hose tail for the suction side.
We gassed up my car, and went on a rescue mission.
Buy the time we reached him it was almost dark. (remember, it's peak summer daylight hours here, and we're pretty far south too) Because I wasn't driving, I kept on drinking. So dad and my mate did most of the roadside assembley. I did a bit of grinding with my cordless grinder to cut my hardline down to the right length.
We ot it aall fitted up and running by full dark.

Then hoofed it back to the party. By then, it was almost dead. Some guys I knew were leaving as we arrived, and were drunkenly telling us about some antics with the stripper etc. I was pretty gutted to have missed most of the fun. Dad did come and rescue me a lot of times when I'd crashed/rolled my car, blown a diff, etc etc. So it was only fair to return the favour.

Sorry for the essay,
But whats the best option for a 3/8 fuel pump that wont fail? The pump that was on there, the eye in the plunger rod which hooks over the crank arm had worn badly. And elongated the eye so bad it wouldn't stay hooked over the arm.
Dad's a little concerned about running an electric pump, as it will keep on pumping aafter a crash. (creating a a fire danger) I suggested running a mercury switch, as if the car is upright, the needle and seat should keep the fuel at bay. And a crash bad enough to move the motor off it's mounts, and rip the fuel lines would likely ice the occupants anyway. (20G's for 5 milliseconds is the limit that the human body can survive anyway)

What do you guys recoommend?

Thanks.

I don't have an answer but that was a GREAT story!!!!

On fuel pumps, I normally end up with a stock Fed-Mougal. Not exactly a high performance/volume/pressure pump. They have not given me a problem in 360's running low 12's.

Thanks Rob!
Do you have a link to one for sale? The old boy went to great lengths to run a new 3/8 hardline, because he's sh1t scared of leaning out.
The pump that he was running came from some speed shop in Aussie. I took my mrs and kids up to stay with them for a few night earlier this week. He showed me the pump, and the part that failed. I thought it looked like a good pump. but the part that gave up must have been made from rubbish metal.

Rob's right..A simple Federal Mogul /Carter pump is simple &reliable.M5902P is the non regulator needed part number..

If the eye was egged out, it sorta points to a failed return spring. Did you notice if that spring was still in there?
FWIW,
I have pulled factory pumps off engines decades old, and with several hundred thousands of kilometers, that still worked fine.

Deleted! Correction on the next post by my Virgina friend!

The pump you linked above RF is a bit high on pressure for some carbs at 8.7psi max pressure. And the cheapest pumps on the market are made that way; I can't say this is one of them, but I am a bit leery of them for any performance use. A lot of the listings for these pumps say 120 GPH, but if you look on the Carter product data, they are listed as 25 GPH capable.

Mancini Racing sells a Carter M6902 pump for about $80-90 less than the M5902, and the specs look to be the same. The one difference that I know of is the M6902 is not shiney polished like the M5902. The M6902 shows out of stock at Mancini and Summit right now, but we bought one from Mancini about 1 month ago.

Roger.... one of these days I'll learn what those slightly higher pressure pumps are for....

I've recently come across a couple of new Carter fuel pumps that were defective.

If you go to my website, there is a page on mechanical fuel pumps with both factory data and some independent testing I had done (by Ryan Brown). The 6 valve pumps are the best but have fit issues with the US '70 up style water pumps. There's some photos of the fit issues on the same page. Not sure how that will translate to your RH drive and Valiant builds.

suposedly the Carter pump recommended is NLA?
He's ordered an Edelbrock pump for it.
Hopefully it shows up before the end of the drag racing season. I'd really like to slam it down the 1/4, and see what it can do. Plus I wanna put my 318 back together too.....

Heh. Sorry. If you click on any member's screen name, there will be an option to go to their 'home page' if they've provided a url.
OK, that takes too much brains for me LOL.... what were we talking about? Oh yeah...pumps.

-
Back