Best Air Shocks for Raising Back end?

-

Mike Correll

Reaction score
I have a 66 Barracuda with an 8 3/4” read end. The air shocks in the back aren’t very old, but they suck at holding the back end of the car up high. They leak any air almost overnight, and the lines blow out if I try to put more than 80 lbs of air in them. The car’s not sagging, but it’s too low in the rear for my liking. I want it to be slightly raked, sitting a little higher in the back than the front.
Does anyone know of a specific brand or type of air shocks that hold up well?

Can't help with your air shock question. But wonder if it my be easier to add slightly longer shackles? Just a thought...

Be well,
Pat

i run gabriels skyjackers in the back
make sure you install one line and valve per side, or the body will roll in turns

if you really want to do it right, install some shock extensions as well, because skyjackers limit travel

Be better and safer to just rebuild your leaf springs with the ride height you want. Everything else is just a band aid.

I ruined more than a few upper shock mounts lifting cars with air shocks. I would not recommend using them to adjust ride height. Get some over height springs from ESPO or just add a leaf to your existing springs.

Be better and safer to just rebuild your leaf springs with the ride height you want. Everything else is just a band aid.

Exactly.

Look how your upper shock mount is attached thru the trunk pan.
When you add air shocks or "coilover" shocks the "load" to raise the rear up is transfered from the axle/leaf springs to that stud.
Though there is some reenforcement it isnt there to handle that loading.

Find a extra set of leaf springs and make your own spring pack. You can even use leafs from other models if you keep your main spring.

You may have heard this before (or not) New springs, For better handling & control.
Longer shackles if you want height. Then you can remove them later if you want.
Springs carry the weight of the car spread out over 4 mounting points approx 4’ wide X 5’ long.
Lifting the car with shocks carries the weight of the car on 2 points about 18” apart on a Sheetmetal brace not meant for those loads. A shocks job is to control the movement of the spring only.
Coil-overs are usually mounted to places designed for that stress.

The only good air shock on one of these cars is NO air shock. Add enough air to raise the back end of the car and you’re bypassing the springs and putting the weight of the car on the shock mounts, which won’t handle that kind of load long term.

As for longer rear shackles, they screw up the leaf spring geometry and they’ll wear out the springs faster. And handle like crap, even worse than just raising the rear roll center.

Get springs that have a higher arch, or plan on replacing stuff you’re going to break in the meantime by doing it the wrong way.

I too agree with the spring needing to be the adressed area and to get rid of the air shocks.

I'm a total cheap skate, and on my Challenger the rear tires lack just enough back space, so the tires would just rub the fender lip.
The thought of those air shocks bleeding out and cutting a tire at speed really gave me pause.

So i shopped "add-a-leafs" from Summit and by adding a rigid spring to my existing spring pack, my tires are safe and for somewhere in the ball park of 60 bucks at the time.

i have monroes on my duster and demon, the demon never needs air added, the duster every day.ive tried to find a valve to screw directly to shock to eliminate air lines, no luck yet.its your car, if u want air shocks just do it!

Screw the half assed air shocks. Call espo and get a set of +2” leaf springs for that *****. They are reasonably priced and will do what you want without the headache and have a better ride.

I have a 66 Barracuda with an 8 3/4” read end. The air shocks in the back aren’t very old, but they suck at holding the back end of the car up high. They leak any air almost overnight, and the lines blow out if I try to put more than 80 lbs of air in them. The car’s not sagging, but it’s too low in the rear for my liking. I want it to be slightly raked, sitting a little higher in the back than the front.
Does anyone know of a specific brand or type of air shocks that hold up well?

I’ll go ahead and answer the actual question instead of telling you what parts I think you should put on YOUR car. Gabriel makes a decent set but they cost more than Monroe shocks.

These are Espo standard 5 leaf springs I installed 10+ years ago. I ran Gabriel Hijackers years ago on other Mopars but no way. This picture was taken a few years ago.

001b.JPG

I put sir shocks in the ‘59 regent. Disappointed to say the least. Will
Be modifying springs this summer. Or its getting a set of air bags to supplement.

I certainly agree with a person doing what they want with their own car. But if I came on here and said I was putting a stroked hemi in my 68 dart, but I was going to put /6 drums and 13” wheels because they weigh less, and was going to drive this on the street, I think I would listen if the majority told me I didn’t want to do that. It’s not like he’s asking if he should use a mailbox for a hood scoop, or what color wheels he should put on.

I certainly agree with a person doing what they want with their own car. But if I came on here and said I was putting a stroked hemi in my 68 dart, but I was going to put /6 drums and 13” wheels because they weigh less, and was going to drive this on the street, I think I would listen if the majority told me I didn’t want to do that. It’s not like he’s asking if he should use a mailbox for a hood scoop, or what color wheels he should put on.
Mailbox,no.mcdonald’s garbage can lid....

Air shocks and lift shackles, what could possibly go wrong! :p

i038635.jpg
6050p.8062.jpg

We used with the flapper. Cops told us we had to put it back. Ah,it was the 80’s

Do the springs and save yourself the trouble some of us have been through. It's easier and less costly then pounding out the shock mount with air shocks. Maxed out air shocks ride like a 5T dump truck and it doesn't take long to start cracking the crossmember. The shock mount crossmember is not a frame rail.

-
Back