best headers??

-

67fishfastback

Reaction score
I'm trying to order all the parts for my 360 we are building to put in my 67 cuda,just wondering what headers everyone had the best fit with. Was thinking about tti ceramic coated.

tti in my opinion.. i hear dougs have the same design for a cheaper price but i don't know that for sure.

I'll second the tti's best header for fit and finish i EVER used....

IF you want somethin done right.. you gotta do it urself. or have someone make you a set. it will be just as expensive (or
possibly cheaper) then a set of TTi's, but will be built to your specs. not some mass produced "1-size fits all" garbage.
cheers.

I'll use my experiece as an example:

When I first put my car together and made it a driveable piece of crap I bought a set of Hooker super comps because those TTI's are too exspensive. On the VERY FIRST ROAD TEST I bottomed out and flatted 3 tubes because they hang so friggen low.... Fast forward 8 yrs, the car is done and I'm about to install a complete 2 1/2" X pipe system from TTI with those beautiful polished ceramic coated headers.

Hookers: $375
TTI's $720
Total: $1,095

Plus X pipes, mufflers, and tailpipes..... $775

Moral? If it's a keeper, invest and buy GOOD stuff ONCE. I spent over $1,000 on headers between good and bad choices. Save yourself $300+ and buy the TTI's.
070307_12241-vi.jpg

Thems be pretty things too!

IF you want somethin done right.. you gotta do it urself. or have someone make you a set. it will be just as expensive (or
possibly cheaper) then a set of TTi's, but will be built to your specs. not some mass produced "1-size fits all" garbage.
cheers.

So according to YOU tti's are garbage..this coming from a guy running a MOPAR in a chevy...:angry7:

So according to YOU tti's are garbage..this coming from a guy running a MOPAR in a chevy...:angry7:
ooh..... ohhhhhhhhh! then i shouldn't tell yah my bud is almost finished putting a ford 351 into his 74 scamp....what? lol!
when i say garbage, i mean WAY WAY overpriced. which you must admit it is. they only offer one style header, zero options for cheaper ones.
plain old taking advantage of the consumer. IMO there is as good alternatives out their, including Dougs Headers. And another Alternative is to
have a set made, to ones OWN specs (stainless, stepped, both, whatev) either by ones self, or somebody else. $775 for x-pipes,mufflers, and
tailpipes? shoot, our local muffler guy can do the same, 3", mandrel bent for 1/2 that (different mufflers tho). the material isnt THAT xpensive.
I understand brand loyalty, and the need to spend serious coin, but TTi is just rediculus.
cheers.

If you have an auto I might think about them but I wouldnt even bother trying to put ttis on an a-body with a four speed-its a friggin joke.

I put a set of tti on a 72 demon with 4-speed and they fit horribly around the z bar for clutch

Think of the positive.. at least he put a Mopar into a Chevy and made some good of that Chevy, instead of ruining his Mopar by putting a 350 Chev into it like I see so often :angry7:.

And I agree with 360Z28. TTI's are much too expensive.

try paying for them with an 80cent dollar like I had to it makes the whole deal about $2200 cdn with shipping and taxes but nothing fits like the tti's and they sound soo good , at least I was able to get a good set of used ones from my guy's test stand {headers only- never in a car only half a dozen cam wear in sessions on em } saved me a couple of hundred US$ at 1500cdn for the whole deal installed , just remember to turn all your clamps sideways eh oops haha -left em vertical and long but not for long ,oh well his mistake his repair ,still beats buying the cheap ones and replacing them every couple of years and did I mention they sound sooo good

:burnout:

While I agree that TTI's are expensive, I already went through the local muffler shop hack job. And that's what it was: PURE hack work. And this was a recommended shop!

Yes... it can be done cheaper, but remember this: I just spent 3 yrs. restoring and modifing my car. I wanted to use "name brand" stuff in some areas just to protect my investment too. And as for the TTI's being a horrible fit in 4 spd. cars there are some known issues, spelled out in the instructions, and not insurmountable. My Z bar was modified for the scattershield. I also know I have to shave down the l/s of the shield for clearance. I also know that if your engine mounts are toast nothing fit's either. I have new mounts. Nothing has been a "bolt-on" when it comes to Hot Rodding. Unless your building a popular make, such as a Chevy/Chevy combo. Now if your cross-breeding cars, custom pipes are the only way to go. I'm sure 360Z28 is well aware of this!

I'm not insulted that I seem to be using too exspensive a system in my car. And I'm certainly not made of money either. Just building my car the way I want to. And if I offered advice that's easliy debated, that's what personal opinions are: personal. I also mentioned it was what I experienced. Just trying to be helpful... 8)

360z28 is actually the future. With chevy and Dodge merging I would bet that the new Camaro will be fitted with the 392 hemi.

360z you need to get some badges that mimmick the datsun 280z. I'm also a little confused. Do you like the mopar engines that much or do you like the Camaro body style that much?

63dartman,
i like the badges idea. :cheers:
well as far as i'm concerned, second generation camaros are the embodyment of what true musclecar should be.
and SmallBlock MoPars are IMO the best V8 engine ever produced. so I just married the two, and now have one
truely awesome car.
cheers

PS.. sorry to the OP went WAY WAY off topic

I've always liked the 2nd gen camaro also. I had one back in the early 80's. It was black with red pin striping. Across the rear trunk flair was air brushed " the terminator" It actually ran pretty good with the 350 and a young kid that new squat about cars. It was the only true muscle car I owned until
i got my 63 dart.

Is your car streetable yet?

67fish, sorry for hijacking your thread, There is no question that for an auto trans a body the TTI headers are the best you can buy right now hands down.

Nice to see other happy customers of tti with 4 speed a bodies... they fit like crap around the clutch linkage.

Dougs are another good option for ground clearance as long as you are running an auto. Same issues as tti with the clutch linkage.

tti's and dougs have their place. IMO, that's on street cars where ground clearance is at a premium. On a race car, find something else...

nice to see you back 340rules...

-
Back