Best Intake for a 408

-

I was half tempted to buy a couple of Victor340 intakes and porting them to sale. They would have been in the 750.00-800.00 range and I figured that would be crazy. Then I see a Port O Sonic that’s stock for over 800.00. Stop the bus I’m getting off.

I was half tempted to buy a couple of Victor340 intakes and porting them to sale. They would have been in the 750.00-800.00 range and I figured that would be crazy. Then I see a Port O Sonic that’s stock for over 800.00. Stop the bus I’m getting off.
Can there be anybody buying those Offy’s at that price?? I know nostalgia is a powerful force but that’s just nuts.

Can there be anybody buying those Offy’s at that price?? I know nostalgia is a powerful force but that’s just nuts.

Yes, they sell them. I almost bought a tunnel ram. I still might. Their tunnel ram with the two single four tops (I forget what Offy calls them) is probably the best street tunnel ram for SBM’s there is.

Yes, they sell them. I almost bought a tunnel ram. I still might. Their tunnel ram with the two single four tops (I forget what Offy calls them) is probably the best street tunnel ram for SBM’s there is.
I can see the TR’s selling absolutely. If Edelbrock brought back the STR-12 I wonder how that would do sales wise. From research it seems other designs perform better but I could see going a little nuts, having more money than brains in that case.

207B6C6F-0DD9-4D84-81D6-480307D51132.png

Like Dwayne from PRH mentioned about use.

Street car - RPM AG

Race car primarily - Victor 340

I ran a 360 years ago on the dyno. The AG was much better below 4500. Victor was much better at very top.

Pick the one that works best for your driving environment.

Pretty hard to get too much plenum volume with any single 4 IMO.
Too much of plenum? Not enough engine! LMAO!!!!
“Turbo Thrust?”

A very good intake for its day. Let me repeat the key words from that sentence…… “For it’s Day.”

You can still make good use of that intake but I would t buy it new never mind there crazy price.

A very good intake for its day. Let me repeat the key words from that sentence…… “For it’s Day.”

You can still make good use of that intake but I would t buy it new never mind there crazy price.
Agree. Buy one used, work it over if not already and run it. If I had it I’d run it and call it good.

I think this may be similar from a short block with RHS heads with nextr step up XE-hl cam 295. The AG was better everywhere over a super victor on this build. IIRC, the SV killed the AG of air flow which meant squat when the crank started turning.

More cam and heads, the single plane with be better up top.

I think this may be similar from a short block with RHS heads with nextr step up XE-hl cam 295. The AG was better everywhere over a super victor on this build. IIRC, the SV killed the AG of air flow which meant squat when the crank started turning.

[/URL]

More cam and heads, the single plane with be better up top.

That would not have been a cam I picked. That’s one reason why it’s practically dead in the middle.

Turbo Thrust IR adapters is what I had. They aren’t really IR though. It just makes it two single 4’s in essence.
They’re four hole spacers. No? Extending the runner length.

They’re four hole spacers. No? Extending the runner length.

Nope, they are basically single adapters that bolt on. There are 4 holes in the bottom seal the top to the base but they are actually open hole.

I wish I had one. Offy doesn’t suggest you run them on the street. I say they work very well on the street.

So what’s the effective difference between the Victor340 and the Super Victor?

If I believe everything in this thread, my avatar must have a 10.9x in it if I dump the Super Victor and put my Eddie Air Gap on it (ported, of course!). Drop from its best 11.14 down to something in the 10's. That would be cool!!

But we all know that without pics, it didn't happen so without a timeslip to show, it's still just a low 11 sec street car. Sigh...

Now if I ever do get motivated to try the AG, I'll of course post up the results here. But for lots of reasons going on, it will be some time in the future if I ever do try it. But it is tempting!

I can see the TR’s selling absolutely. If Edelbrock brought back the STR-12 I wonder how that would do sales wise. From research it seems other designs perform better but I could see going a little nuts, having more money than brains in that case.

View attachment 1716044303
I'd buy one if they were reasonably priced. I'm afraid I'm going to have to cobble one together because unless I win the Lotto, I'm not dumping $2500+ on an intake.

I'd buy one if they were reasonably priced. I'm afraid I'm going to have to cobble one together because unless I win the Lotto, I'm not dumping $2500+ on an intake.

I'd imagine they would be priced at least like the repro max wedge intakes.... $1700.

Then you need the linkage kits

There's gotta be more demand for those than Small Blocks. You can build a clone Max Wedge car with a RB cross ram. A small block cross ram is really cool, but doesn't clone anything. You'd think a small audience.

How many are going to buy them at $1700?

I have a 410 stroker in my car and I had an air gap intake and it made 390rwhp on the dyno. I changed cam to afew degrees bigger(from 238 @ 50 with 110 l/sep to a 241 @50 with a 112 l/sep) and changed to a Victor 340 manifold . It now made 425 rwhp but lost a bit of torque on the dyno but in real world driving (5 speed manual) I cannot notice any difference. I feel it is noticably quicker especially as when you just put your foot into it in second gear it just goes mad with wheelspin immediately to 6500rpm. Lets face it with a stroker 410 how much torque do you need in a 3000lb

I run a 11-1 plus 360 now on 93 octane.

What cam do you have now and what are you thinking about going to?

When you say maximize the 408, it leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Pretty soon you’ll have @RustyRatRod coming here and stating his famous line on cam size….

.750 roller

A little more clarity on a goal please.
The cars purpose is?
Is a 1/4 mile slip part of this chase?
How do you get away with 11-1 on 93. I ask because I want to as well. Engine specs, cooling system, vehicle weight, gearing, dynamic compression, etc.

@gzig5

I’d love a cross ram setup, I am a lover of Max Wedges so regardless of whether it was the best, or the worst for power I’d make it work and build and tweak to get the most out of it. And then figure out how to make a clear engine cover (for my van heap) so I could sit and look at it as well as flog it.

And then figure out how to make a clear engine cover (for my van heap) so I could sit and look at it as well as flog it.
Yes yes yes yes yes yes and YES!!!!!

-
Back