best media to use on the body?

-

Resto

Reaction score
Hey guys. I know this is a frequently asked question, but I'm curious in hearing different opinions about stripping the body to bare metal. I'm not going to sandblast it. I've heard to many bad things about the sand warping the metal. I thought about going the angle grinder and polycarbide abrasive wheels route, but I'm looking for a faster more efficient way. I do not want to use any chemicals. Is the dustless blasting as amazing as it's marketed to be? My compressor is 150 psi. Is that enough for one if those blasting guns? What's the best media to use. I have heard about the plastic, walnut shells, and recycled glass. The glass was in the dustless blaster. I'm extremely interested in the dustless blasting technique. Has anyone rented one of those dustless units before? The video I watched the guy was completely finishing 2sq ft in under 13 seconds. It looked too good to be true. The paint was coming off so easy and fast. Do you mix water with the media? Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks-Jeremy

Baking soda to remove paint, but you can't use an ordinary sandblaster w/ it.

One of those water/ soda blasters is about the best if you can find someone in the area who has 1.

Have you seen those tanks they use for the dustless blasting? I saw a video on you tube and I am wanting to figure out how to do that. It was amazing.

Wow. I'd love to have one. I hear that you can rent them. I'm going to get one some day. Save a lot of money in the long run but damn....waaay out of my budget on this build.

Baking soda to remove paint, but you can't use an ordinary sandblaster w/ it.

One of those water/ soda blasters is about the best if you can find someone in the area who has 1.
So what would that machine be called. It's special for soda and baking soda?

So what would that machine be called. It's special for soda and baking soda?
It's just called a "soda blaster". Basically it's just a reworked sandblaster. You can buy a sandblaster @ Harbor Freight & they sell a conversion kit for around $20 to make it into a soda blaster & it can easily be converted back to sandblasting if you need it to. You need it to be a pressurized blaster. A suction feed blaster won't work. The 40lb or 110lb blasters work well & if you watch for a sale you can get them pretty cheap.

With media blasting I heard that paint companies won't warranty there paint to stick to it. It came from the dipping rep.

Wow, I hadn't heard that. That's crazy. How would you get a guarantee?

Old thread here, just want to ask opinions. I have one of these:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZkBRsdp2AQ"]20 Lb. Capacity Pressurized Abrasive Blaster #40925 - YouTube[/ame]

I have used "ARMEX" Maintenance Formula XL in it:

http://www.armex.com/Products/products0101.aspx

and I can hardly get it to take the paint down to metal on my car. I use between 90 to 120psi in it.
Anybody have any advice on how to make it work better for stripping an engine compartment??

Thanks!!!

Not my experience, but I have read that you cannot make soda media work in a sand blast setup. You need sand in a sand blaster! A soda machine is built a little different, and will work great with soda.

better be careful with flapdisc. heat can worp the metal. i got duster that was repainted years ago and obviously striped to bare metal. he worped a fender, pops in and out!! sandblaster generally has too much pressure to be safe. sand goes everywhere, impossible t get ride of it really. never had soda blasted car. aorcraft striiper: messing! problem getting rif og it in crevices and neutralized. if your car has original paint ( not layers of numerous paint jobs!) big aircompressor and D A sander. the more agressive the grit, the faster, but will also leave scrathches that can be a problem. years ago i took hood to cemical dip company ( has EPA outlawed them??) in kansas city. come out wonderful, but then i had to try to get primer sealer into the inards!! LOL

I prefer glass media. Once it's blasted you just blow it off and epoxy it. (It gives you the perfect base for your epoxy) With soda you have to neutralize it before any topcoats, which is a big process and can flash rust on you. I'd just research it a lot and pick what works best for you.

I would go soda and if need be spot blast rust with media or sand. There will still be warpage with media but not with soda.

Maybe I got lucky, but I had a '69 Dart SANDBLASTED at Andersons, for $150, and it was CLEAN, and straight when they finished.

-
Back