Best Mopar engine of all time

-

jabdusty57

Reaction score
What would you say was the best MOPAR engine of all time? The 426 Hemi claims the popularity title. The 340 was only around for five years. I would argue the 225 Slant Six benefitted far more people. Chysler even had some pretty respectable performance versions, some producing more HP than CU.

The 383 Magnum . Just as durable as a 440 , less mass , more easily available , and mostly overlooked as performance compared to the "big guns" . It gets my vote , anyway .

Best Mopar engine of all time, hands down the 68-70 340 :glasses7:

Best reliable, dependable, run forever engine, the 225 slant six :prayer:

/ 6 has to be the most durable the teener was used for almost everything but you just can't beat the Hemi for it's design at the time.

you need to make it a poll...

but im going with the slant six... i think it was the most sustained of any engine possibly ever built, parts easily interchange to almost any year, the design was basically unchanged from birth till death.

other than that is a 65-68 Race Hemi

360 It was used in all the platforms well into the 90s as old form then they changed the heads to make it a magnum motor and was used for a long time after that

Lighter than a slant, more powerful per cubic inch than any other mill, my vote goes to the 1971 Hemi 245 Sixpack.

okay so are asking what motor you other than the 426 Hemi and the Slant six. me my first would be the 383, big block boy, the next would be the Gen 3 Hemi's

I'm not sure I can get excited about ANY of the "non hemi" engines, and the hemi's were a limited production deal, so that certainly can't be considered a "readily available option."

If I was to get excited about any of em, and I can't afford 'em, LOL, is the modern hemis.

For me it's much much more than "engines." There is nothing particularly remarkable about the B/ RB engines except they were good solid engines, but Ponch, Olds, Buick, all of them made "equivalent" "good solid engines."

I don't see anything particularly remarkable about slants, either, except they were tossed into millions of cars. One could say the same about the Chev and Ford inline sixes

For me, it's much more than that. It's the package deal. It's the stuff around "the engine."

"Back when" Chivvie was still foisting the 2-speed powerslide off on everybody, along with fairly weak rear axles, the Mopar B bodies could be had with a relatively strong 8 3/4 axle and torqueflite.

Now I realize that Powerslides can be built into awesome race transmissions, but that doesn't help ya much when ya have a lame 283 2bbl in a 4000 lb car, and ya REALLY could have used that "other gear."

And the Mopar 4 speeds for a very long time were stronger than GM. Even the Muncies with their aluminum cases were not THAT strong. And Chev screwed us the pubic for years and years with a weak sister non-syncro 3 speed, which a 283 could break with alarming regularity. When I joined the Navy in the spring of '68 I had an even dozen broken 1st--reverse sliders in the trunk of my parts car.

When I was a kid of 20 years old,the 340 was beating everything on the street in this city..my vote..naturally..the 340..

Define best. 340 and hemi have huge rep, but short run. Teeners around forever, but little performance love. /6 will last forever and run like a sewing machine but make a teeter look like a powerhouse. Personally I am a fan of the B/RB engines. Produced with little change other than bore and stroke for a very longtime and performed well in everything from motor home duty to drag racers.

Really best does not mean most powerful,

The slant 6 and 318 LA WERE 2 of the best engines to come from MaMopar

Yes the 340 was and still is a special engine, the HEMI is KING but the slant and 318 were bread & butter for Chrysler

Define best. 340 and hemi have huge rep, but short run. Teeners around forever, but little performance love. /6 will last forever and run like a sewing machine but make a teeter look like a powerhouse. Personally I am a fan of the B/RB engines. Produced with little change other than bore and stroke for a very longtime and performed well in everything from motor home duty to drag racers.

there are a ton of cars NA running from 10.5 to 15's... stock they are over 20 but can get into the 17's with little to no bolt ons

BEST means different things to different people, and thats fine. i liked my 1957-58 chrysler 392 hemi. history note, the 1955 chrysler 300 of 331 ci, was the first american engine to make 300 horse power. and started the well known 300 chryslers 1955 throu 1965. any other car that says 300 is NOT a REAL 300. please remember when i say chrysler i mean CHRYSLER not dodge, Plymouth, desoto.

Too Easy....................
You walk into a room, you can have only one engine.....................
They all there, brand new, just built...............................
225 Hyper Pak...........................
383 2 4 barrel.........................
413 Cross Ram............................
426 Max Wedge................................
383 Road Runner...............................
340 Six Barrel..........................................
440 Six Barrel.............................................
Late model Hemi, 360, 400, 318, 273, 318/360 Mangum...........

And a 426 RACE HEMI.........................................
YOU TELL ME WHICH ENGINE YOUR WALKING OUT WITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me it's no contest...................HEMI

How about we just say ALL Mopar engines are better than anything comparable from the competition? Of course, we can probably argue that point six ways to Sunday as well! Lol

The Best overall Mopar engine to me (stock) is the LA series 318.
The reasons are:
-Always just enough power in all body styles and light trucks to actually do the job.
-With proper maintainance, they will almost run forever.
-Decent gas mileage, and run on any low grade gas.
-Easy to get parts for. (And usually pretty cheap)
-Simple to work on.
-Mellow enough to cruise in but enough power to pass on the highway.
-Fits in all engine compartments easily.
-Responds well to minor performance mods without sacrificing reliability or driveability. (Dual exhaust for instance)

The only bad points are:
-Lousy factory timing chain and gears.
-The heat crossover under the intake manifold plugs up quickly.

Honorable mention goes to the slant 6, but it doesn't have enough power for the larger vehicles, especially on the hills or passing.

Hands Down .. four twenty six Hemi in anything including on an engine stand !

The Best overall Mopar engine to me (stock) is the LA series 318.
The reasons are:
-Always just enough power in all body styles and light trucks to actually do the job.
-With proper maintainance, they will almost run forever.
-Decent gas mileage, and run on any low grade gas.
-Easy to get parts for. (And usually pretty cheap)
-Simple to work on.
-Mellow enough to cruise in but enough power to pass on the highway.
-Fits in all engine compartments easily.
-Responds well to minor performance mods without sacrificing reliability or driveability. (Dual exhaust for instance)

The only bad points are:
-Lousy factory timing chain and gears.
-The heat crossover under the intake manifold plugs up quickly.

Honorable mention goes to the slant 6, but it doesn't have enough power for the larger vehicles, especially on the hills or passing.

Yep, the 318...kind of ironic.

for me nothing beats a 440 4 barrel for best overall.

ppl like to go exotic right away and say 6 bbls or hemis but hemis were expensive to make and have been limited and over rated from the begining.

six barrels are nice ...love the extra CFM and you dont run out of carb and manifold very easy but its tough to tune a six pack ...i have have done but face it ....the average person wont.

a 440 4 bbl has great street manners and is never lacking for power when needed. There is a reason it was standard equipment in the R/T and GTX when they were real muscle cars and were some the badest cars ever made by Detroit.

440 4 bbl. "go ahead and smile when you pass them on the freeway with four hundred and forty cubic inches of V8 power !!! "

Plus RB engines are the prettiest to look at =P~

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

The 426 Hemi was one of those "rock the world" engines. It ate up NHRA and NASCAR for many years. Both racing bodies eventually outlawed or sanctioned the engine because it was so powerful.

I remember some of the local street racers back in the day actually removed the "426" emblems to get Chebby and Furd guys to race. The "Brand-Xers" that ended up racing had to go back and pick up their doors.

My vote goes to the 426 Hemi.

-
Back