Best Place to Mount The ECU?

-

Valkman

Reaction score
I'm putting a 65 cuda back together and converting to E.I so I need some advise on where to mount an ECU. The old engine hanness was toast so I bought a new harness set up E.I. from Herbs, and the length of wire connector to the ECU is limited to locating it to the firewall. Please see attached picture and tell me what you think the best location is? I'm putting a 340 with a stock distributor and I want to make sure everything clear before I put it in.

Thanks

Attachments

• ECU Local..jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 349
I mounted mine on the firewall on the inside of my 65 dart. Cooler and keeps your underhood looking cleaner and period correct if that matters to you. Check out 66340sedan engine compartment for the super sanitary look.

Fire wall or drivers inner fender close to the corner at the fire wall. There's a few good shots of where the factory put it.

Mounting on the interior of the firewall might be good for protection from heat, not good for radio noise, LOL.

Attempt to keep away from engine heat, especially direct exposure to manifolds and headers, radiated heat.

Also, the heat sink does not like rain or snow. I found that out, one weekend, in my (back then) 340 powered FJ-40

Thanks for all your replies but the only places the hardness will reach is marked 1, 2, & 3 in the photo (sorry I should have pointed that out:D ). I asking because I want make sure it's not in the way of anything (like the distributor) when engine is installed

I would use Spot 2, above the distributor. However, the high voltage surges could cause feedback to the ECU, like putting a microphone near a speaker. Spot 1 is below the heater hoses, so maybe not smart. Your tranny kick-down plate and linkage may interfere with spot 3, so look at photos. I would just wait until the engine is installed.

Location 2 will likely interfere with distributor cap. I mounted my unit as rumblefish360 suggests, flat spot near firewall, drivers side inner fender top. My unit has on board temperature sensor that is logged. It reads about 25 degrees centigrade above ambient.

I think I found a spot that will work! It's bit of a stretch for the wires but it should be ok.

Thanks all, for your help

Attachments

• ECU Mount.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 245
I think I found a spot that will work! It's bit of a stretch for the wires but it should be ok.

Thanks all, for your help

Man, that is real close to where your exhaust manifold/headers will be located.

I looked through the pictures on FABO but, I see it in several places. Do you have a link or example for 1972 up.

Craig

Fire wall or drivers inner fender close to the corner at the fire wall. There's a few good shots of where the factory put it.

-
Back