Best plugs/plug wires/cap/rotor brands for a 318 4bbl tune-up?

-

318MoparGuy

MoparHokie
Reaction score
Hi All,
Will be giving my 318 a tune-up and wanted to hear peoples thoughts on best plugs/plug wires/cap/rotor brands for durability?
Thanks,
Greg

Used to be NAPA Echlin and Standard Motor Products "Blue Streak." With the influx of Chineseo Crap into NAPA lately (so Waltrip can make more money) I'm not betting on anything.

I bought a bunch of the Blue Streak caps years ago .
Looks like my investment paid off....

In my opinion Echlin, standard, and borg warner and wells are all equally good, I think wells makes better caps and rotors. Wells gold brand caps have copper inserts, I think standard and Echlin make the best modules, coils, relays. Borg warner makes the worst Chrysler voltage regulator in my opinion, I fried 3 then bought a wells voltage regulator, been running that same wells voltage regulator for over a year and a half.

If Wells is now "as good as" Standard / Echlin, then they have sunk one hell of a long way into the murky depths of Chineseoville.

Never a problem with Blue Streak, Standard or MP products.

Nothing but problems with Taylor wires. Replaced a set of them on a customers engine and made 10 or so more HP with Moroso wires. This guy was sponsored by Taylor. LOL

Nothing but problems with Taylor wires. Replaced a set of them on a customers engine and made 10 or so more HP with Moroso wires. This guy was sponsored by Taylor. LOL

Have had several sets of Taylor wires with no issues....fact of the matter is you are bound to run into a problem sooner or later no matter what you use....

NGK plugs
Accel 8mm wires (if you are going to buy wires anyway.
Napa part no.MO300 rotor (they will look at you funny when you ask for this)
It's .030 longer on the contact tip. (Comes closer to the cap tower studs)
The cap you can get pretty much anywhere. (Napa, Autozone) Echlin is good.

Don't laugh at my manifolds (I have headers now) :D

Attachments

• wires.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 197
I ran the ngk plugs, they worked well but the tops snapped off really easily. I put a piece of hose over the top to try and get it started in the one hole that is hard with headers. top snapped right off and I was being very carefull. Later another one snapped off just from driving. I switched to autolight plugs and have had no issues with snapping tops off.

Blue streak is great but any cap with copper contacts should be decent. I think I had a set of standard plug wires go bad within 4 years. I'm trying some accel wires out now, we will see how long those hold up.

Have had several sets of Taylor wires with no issues....fact of the matter is you are bound to run into a problem sooner or later no matter what you use....
They (Taylor) sent us 2 sets to try after the customer talked to them about the results. None would work as well as the Moroso wires. They then wanted us to do some R&D on the dyno to build a better wire. It would have been interesting to try , but the customer needed his motor back and the reality is that other companies already have wires that perform correctly. This is the kind of thing that lead me to make the recommendation I did.
As long as the OP sticks with quality spiral core wire, a brass terminal cap, and doesn't use $.099 plugs. He'll do good.

I still have a stash of Standard from the old days , v regulator caps and rotors . As for coils , no idea these days . Standard 340 plug wires , so far car starts first time every time . Plugs are Champion , though I buy Autolite on occasion

-
Back