Best TV streamin device?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a good flat screen TV but not a smart one. I have a Roku plug in device, it worked good for a while, then it kept saying "low current", I really don't have an alternative circuit and the breaker box if full, no way to add a circuit.
Should I try another brand of add on streaming device?? I don't want to waste $ for nothing. Buying a smart TV is my last option. I have this good one now and another one like it as a spare.

I have a Roku plug in device, it worked good for a while, then it kept saying "low current"

First I would try a different USB cable if you have one. If that doesn't help it could be the power supply itself. IIRC, Roku had some issues like that on certain devices.

We have ROKU in the living room and a Firestick in the bedroom, both work great here.

First I would try a different USB cable if you have one. If that doesn't help it could be the power supply itself. IIRC, Roku had some issues like that on certain devices.

We have ROKU in the living room and a Firestick in the bedroom, both work great here.
What is the USB cable??

What is the USB cable??
Screenshot_20220719-114503_Chrome.jpg

I've never tried other than Roku so can't help you as I've nothing to compare. I used to have an older roku 2 box, but it seems the video "load" (more crap just like websites) overpowered the processor and it finally became so slow as to be nearly unuseable. Then I got the newer one, and it's been good. I have no "pay for" I just sort through the "free" stuff.

Old box was a "Roku 2", new one is an "Ultra"

Overall I'm fairly happy. Big issue for me is some of the "channels" have incredibly stupidly designed menus, and some of them are incredibly "ad heavy." Generally that is not so bad on the Roku channel itself. Not sure I think I used to watch quite a bit of "Tubi" but it has become a zoo. There are 2 /3 of the free channels that basically have nothing but horror films, which I'm not into.

One channel that has a fair amount of good old movies is "Movieland TV" which has a red bordered triangle for a logo---but they don't seem to change them much

Not at all impressed with "Fawesome" which stands for "Free Awesome"

I admit I am ignorant.
We have had DISH for ever. Ripoff. Back when the Roku worked, I was NOT impressed with the selections, BUT I want to stream stuff like NEW episodes of RoadKill, etc. onto the TV.
We are in the sticks but last year they put cable down our road and we use that for computer.
All I know is the stepson bought us the Roku and tight as he is (tighter than even me) bought us the Roku device (maybe the cheapest one?) and plugged it in the back of TV. Worded for awhile, had issues ever so often that said "low Power". Then it just stopped working completely.

I have a good flat screen TV but not a smart one. I have a Roku plug in device, it worked good for a while, then it kept saying "low current", I really don't have an alternative circuit and the breaker box if full, no way to add a circuit.
Should I try another brand of add on streaming device?? I don't want to waste $ for nothing. Buying a smart TV is my last option. I have this good one now and another one like it as a spare.

It's not your outlet power, "low power (current)" usually means the USB port that the Roku stick is plugged into in the back of the TV is not capable of supplying enough 5V power to the Roku stick. Not that uncommon. Many TV USB ports were not designed to power devices but only to pass audio/video signals.

Did your Roku device come with an external power adapter? If not that's what you need or a different Roku/streaming device.

Last edited:
It's not your outlet power, "low power (current)" usually means the USB port that the Roku stick is plugged into in the back of the TV is not capable of supplying enough 5V power to the Roku stick. Not that uncommon. Many TV USB ports were not designed to power devices but only to pass audio/video signals.

Did your Roku device come with an external power adapter? If not that's what you need or a different Roku/streaming device.

Thats what I needed to know.
I have been in friggin WalMart and asked the "electronic person" whats up with my Roku stick. They were dumber than a box of rocks OR wanted me to buy a new TV maybe?
I will look for thatexternal power adaptor first, then look for a new stick!

Thats what I needed to know.

I have been in friggin WalMart and asked the "electronic person" whats up with my Roku stick. They were dumber than a box of rocks OR wanted me to buy a new TV maybe?

I will look for thatexternal power adaptor first, then look for a new stick!

Check the one that came with your phone charger (the out put voltage should be stamped on there)

Roku demands 1A or more, a larger 2A cannot hurt as it will only draw what it needs. I have a Fire TV and could not be more happy with it. This is basically a generic TV with the Fire stick built in. One remote, all your content and you can easily add apps. A fire stick adds same content on a dumb TV @barbee6043 PM me your address and Ill send you a genuine Roku 1A USB power supply I no longer need.
165825151453742238871049328765.jpg
16582515415026722346833057849166.jpg

Last edited:
I have been in friggin WalMart and asked the "electronic person" whats up with my Roku stick.

So it's a stick, you didn't mention that in the OP. First thing I would try is power down the stick by unplugging it. Try the stick in a different inlet on the TV and power it back up and see what happens. It looks like an HDMI plug and not USB, you should have an alternate HDMI socket in the TV.

So it's a stick, you didn't mention that in the OP. First thing I would try is power down the stick by unplugging it. Try the stick in a different inlet on the TV and power it back up and see what happens. It looks like an HDMI plug and not USB, you should have an alternate HDMI socket in the TV.
The USB outs of a TV are usually "date of manufacture USB standard" 500ma. Not enough for a 1A Roku. The Blackberry is USB powered but take a 2.5A power supply! The USB power standard has come along way from the days of dumb TVs.

I have plugged in different holes back there. Made no difference. It has stopped working any at all. Is there a different device I can use other than these "sticks"??

Roku demands 1A or more, a larger 2A cannot hurt as it will only draw what it needs. I have a Fire TV and could not be more happy with it. This is basically a generic TV with the Fire stick built in. One remote, all your content and you can easily add apps. A fire stick adds same content on a dumb TV @barbee6043 PM me your address and Ill send you a genuine Roku 1A USB power supply I no longer need.
View attachment 1715958017 View attachment 1715958018

Thats awesome. Thanks!! I will PM you my address.

I have plugged in different holes back there. Made no difference. It has stopped working any at all. Is there a different device I can use other than these "sticks"??

My ROKU is a small box that sits under the TV and is connected via cable, Firestick is another option. If it has quit, it may very well be the source that plugs into the wall.

My ROKU is a small box that sits under the TV and is connected via cable, Firestick is another option. If it has quit, it may very well be the source that plugs into the wall.
It has current. Pishta is sending me a power deal thingy. HE IS THE MAN!!!!!
If that does not cure it I bet I will look for that BOX! Darn reruns. I have seen rerun RoadKill so much, I am beginning to think FreiedBurger is my lost illegitimate son!!

I can understand the frustration of dealing with streaming device issues, especially when you're attached to your current flat-screen TV. The ""low current"" message from your Roku can be quite perplexing, and adding a new circuit might not be a feasible option.
Before you consider purchasing a new smart TV, it's worth exploring alternative solutions. One option you could look into is the Genplay app IPTV. This might provide the smart functionality you're looking for without the need for a new TV or additional circuits.
Exploring different avenues like this can save you money and effort. It's always a good idea to weigh your options thoroughly. Give it a try, and you might just find a convenient solution that keeps your TV setup intact.
We did buy a new smart TV and by todays standards not too big or costly. I still have not bought an app!!!!:BangHead:

My best advice is be a Rob and don't do it.

-
Back