Best weapon for Concealed Carry advise

-
I recently picked up a FN509 and have yet to shoot it. Im looking forward to it. It seems a bit of a bear to get the slide back, I was hoping for something a bit more manageable for the woman although she can do it with a bit of effort. It will not be a concealed carry, more of a backup to the house 12 ga. If I were to conceal, it would be a bit cumbersome.

I recently picked up a FN509 and have yet to shoot it. Im looking forward to it. It seems a bit of a bear to get the slide back, I was hoping for something a bit more manageable for the woman although she can do it with a bit of effort. It will not be a concealed carry, more of a backup to the house 12 ga. If I were to conceal, it would be a bit cumbersome.
Just keep one in the pipe.

:lol:
Maybe with a bit more experience under my belt. I have a bit of PTSD from working in a level 1 trauma center. Although you could argue that I see mostly knuckleheads that shoot their buddy in the car, blow their boys off or have it drop out of their pants and go off while in the shitter and I wouldnt be carrying as I mentioned, I lack the training right now even for home application. Staying true to the OP, Im just adding that I find the slide on this model to be fairly stiff. I wonder if the FN509 can be modded to have a lighter slide?:elmer:

Just remember all you folks with the “heavy slide” rigs. It is technique not strength. Tricep is much stronger than bicep, hold slide with weak hand stationary with overhand grip, thumb alongside index finger, and drive strong hand out away from body. No need to try and pull slide back towards body. It is very similar to drawing a bow, all about the technique.

If you're are proficient with the weapon, no need to chamber a round and if your not proficient with your weapon, you may as well leave it home, so someone doesn't stick it up your *** while you're fumbling with it.
Everyone thinks they're John Wayne until the **** hits the fan.

If you're are proficient with the weapon, no need to chamber a round and if your not proficient with your weapon, you may as well leave it home, so someone doesn't stick it up your *** while you're fumbling with it.
ok tough guy.

ok tough guy.
Sorry you took it wrong, but that's ok.
It's a scary thought of you running around with one in the tube. lol
never said I was tough on the net. lol
but coming from Curly I'll take it as a compliment. lol

you can see in the picture he is reacting to the thread, reaching for his own gun and at that very moment, he becomes a target
(now i know, you never draw on a drawn gun, but i dont think he had much of a choice)

fact of the matter is, he tried to reach his EDC and ended up dying because of it

so there is a concern there...one that can only be met with rigorous training

What kind of training can get you out of a situation like that? Kind of like 'what training can prevent you from being shot in the back?'

So from the cheap seats with regard to above training question, one of the keys in a critical dynamic situation is lateral movement. Being static against a drawn firearm is not a good plan. Moving laterally forces the aggressors focus to shift and adds a multitude of variables. Think of it as a trap shooting equation, rarely do guys miss the straight away birds but get a hard right or left presentation and that target is often times missed. That is why we train so hard focusing on lateral movements. There is a lot of science and physiology behind this theory. It has proven itself over and over. Anytime you add multiple variables to a shooting equation the complexity goes up in a very non linear fashion. So short answer is yes you can train to improve your odds of surviving such a scenario.

Carry the one you shoot the best with. They all print that doesn’t concern me as much as being able to hit what your aiming at. My 2 cents

What kind of training can get you out of a situation like that? Kind of like 'what training can prevent you from being shot in the back?'

for one situational awareness
alway sit with you back to the wall and you wont get shot in the back

when you enter a restaurant, do you scan where the exits are ?

but to be able to draw on a drawn gun, that is almost never going to end well

so you need to train yourself to draw, draw fast, draw safe and be able to acquire your target quickly

do you happen to be familiar with the shooting i mentioned?
the bad guy was shot by another Church member, from a large distance with a hand gun, while the pressure was on
between the moment the bad guy first his first shot and the good guy fired his only shot, 2 seconds passed
quite a feet

BUT the man who ended this shooting was a former deputy and a firearms instructor

you may never be fully prepared, but you can be be as prepared as possible

for one situational awareness
alway sit with you back to the wall and you wont get shot in the back

when you enter a restaurant, do you scan where the exits are ?

but to be able to draw on a drawn gun, that is almost never going to end well

so you need to train yourself to draw, draw fast, draw safe and be able to acquire your target quickly

do you happen to be familiar with the shooting i mentioned?
the bad guy was shot by another Church member, from a large distance with a hand gun, while the pressure was on
between the moment the bad guy first his first shot and the good guy fired his only shot, 2 seconds passed
quite a feet

BUT the man who ended this shooting was a former deputy and a firearms instructor

you may never be fully prepared, but you can be be as prepared as possible
DIY yes I am very familiar with the event mentioned, we use it as a classic illustration during our training events to reinforce what we are teaching. We teach church and school safety classes regularly. In fact it is one of our most requested trainings. Funny you mention situational awareness, that is one of the key concepts to defensive shooting. I just did not want to become “that guy” and derail the thread by going into instructor mode! Hah! Full disclosure I am a certified defensive firearms instructor, in conjunction with a multitude of other NRA instructor tabs plus time overseas as a Marine in some unfriendly locations. Not counting competing at a relatively competent level in several disciplines. I may not be the worlds best expert but I am still alive.

Carry the largest gun for your size. A 5" barrel works for me. Also if you are not familiar with firearms carry a revolver. A small pocket gun works for times when the other is not possible and for 24/7 carry.

I like the single stack MP series compacts from S&W but there isn't much that will outdo a good old snub nose revolver in a sticky, tight quartered situation.

DIY yes I am very familiar with the event mentioned, we use it as a classic illustration during our training events to reinforce what we are teaching. We teach church and school safety classes regularly. In fact it is one of our most requested trainings. Funny you mention situational awareness, that is one of the key concepts to defensive shooting. I just did not want to become “that guy” and derail the thread by going into instructor mode! Hah! Full disclosure I am a certified defensive firearms instructor, in conjunction with a multitude of other NRA instructor tabs plus time overseas as a Marine in some unfriendly locations. Not counting competing at a relatively competent level in several disciplines. I may not be the worlds best expert but I am still alive.
first off, thank you for your service

secondly, i cant speak to for the OP, but i for one will take all advise i can, especially from someone who may have first hand knowledge

i understand that the main question here was "best weapon" but it seems to me each weapon is only as good as its operator

a .50 call hand cannon may have better stopping power then a 9 MM but if you cant fire the hand cannon without knocking yourself out, perhaps the 9mm is the better choice

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.barnorama.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F03%2FGun-Fails-2.gif

agree, thank you sublime one

so I simply need to become a Martin Riggs/Matt Dillon hybrid then?

Situation awareness and control of SELF are two key things to master. Until you can control YOU, you're probably better off without a gun.

agree, thank you sublime one

so I simply need to become a Martin Riggs/Matt Dillon hybrid then?
Hah! No more complex than that! As the current residing State Champion with single action (gunfighter class) pistols I would lean towards Matt Dillion! The biggest thing is to recognize is that shooting is a perishable skillset. You don’t train regularly your proficiency drops accordingly. One of my favorite exercises to put students thru at end of a class is to set up a steel target flanked closely by paper targets on each side. I then have the students shoot from and maintain cover while shooting at the target, run to next barricade and rinse and repeat all the while closing the distance on steel target in oblique. I begin the exercise with only one shot at the farthest point then as distance reduces, shooter has to ring steel to advance to next barricade. They engage from both sides. It replicates many bad guy scenarios. The aforementioned church shooting as well. Once we terminate exercise the student approaches the steel target and witnesses the hits on the paper “bystander” targets. As the shooter, you are personally, financially, and morally accountable for every single round you discharge. This exercise proves out the theory sometimes your best option is not shooting. Folks often times have a very different perception of their skill set than the targets reveal. I was doing a church training one time for a church security detail and the Pastor attended. He asked each student to name a parishioner then had me write that name on bystander targets. I protested it kind of weirded me out, as I knew how it was going to turn out but he insisted? It was very quiet and somber when exercise was done. But drove home emphatically the fact folks need to practice if they are going to carry. Ok it is official I took the thread in the ditch! My apologies, carry on.

Situation awareness and control of SELF are two key things to master. Until you can control YOU, you're probably better off without a gun.
A buddy of mine likes to fight MMA matches

I've heard him say more then once "the moment you lose controll, you lose the fight"

ya don't want to shoot anyone unless you just cannot avoid it and have to...my weapon of choice 1911 officer model and Ruger l c p

Last edited:

Thank You.. Precisely the reason I plan on more practice and instruction before I make the final decision.

Thank You.. Precisely the reason I plan on more practice and instruction before I make the final decision.
Sure wish I had more students like you BIT, Rambo keeps showing up in class. You know the guy, twenty years old and he has been in Iraq, Iran, Russia, Afghanistan, China etc. Swears he is a Navy Seal, Delta, Force Recon Marine, HALO certified and has dozens of 1000 yard shots to his credit. Then we get to the firing line…… Beautiful part of being a gun bunny, it is like welding. Takes about five minutes for your hands to prove your mouth wrong!

Sure wish I had more students like you BIT, Rambo keeps showing up in class. You know the guy, twenty years old and he has been in Iraq, Iran, Russia, Afghanistan, China etc. Swears he is a Navy Seal, Delta, Force Recon Marine, HALO certified and has dozens of 1000 yard shots to his credit. Then we get to the firing line…… Beautiful part of being a gun bunny, it is like welding. Takes about five minutes for your hands to prove your mouth wrong!

i remember those guys, when i took my CPL class they would walk in open carrying
first thing the instructor did was send them back to the locker room to "unstrap"

So here is an open invitation to all you FABO guys, we are presently building a firearms training center in North West Arkansas, by Fayetteville specifically. Once it is up and running I will throw in a free class to any one of you guys, just bring me a cold beer. Of course when I am not an instructor and just hanging with my family we call beer “aiming fluid” Hah! Seriously I love to teach and promote all things 2A. I am certified as a Chief Range Safety Officer so I can teach you guys how to be range officers, heck I even have the very rare and elusive metallic cartridge reloading cert to teach reloading. Or defensive shooting, marksmanship, home defense, whatever. I just love to teach and I would be happy to give any one of you a free class. It doesn’t meet your expectations I will reimburse you! Hah!

-
Back