Better Performance Output

-
Are you suggesting cutting my hood to add a taller Air filter element and inducing cold air through an aftermarket hood scoop?

I ment just to rig up a (underhood) cold air intake system. Add some large diameter tubing front the radiator support to the carb.
Cutting the hood is an option ofcourse if you like to go that route.
Cold/cool air always makes more power. Just look at what modern cars have for intake systems.

If it was mine, I would make sure the combo that's THERE is in optimal tune FIRST, before changing anything. Often times, when one does not run to the potential the owner thinks it should, it's simply a case of not having the best tune. "I" would try that first. It may pick up the gains you're looking for.
Agree. This would be the best use of your money. However I did note...
Wish I knew how to tune them or where to go to get it tuned....The last tune before I changed over to the Air gap intake cost me just over $600.00 They did an optimum tune with jet/metering rods and changed out the weights for timing advance. They did an awesome job with its performance, but the tune cost me as much as a new 750 double pumper....thinking of getting both carbs tuned to the engine and just using the 750 on the track
Swapping carbs to go to the track is a PIA. Would you really want to do that to gain what, a couple of mph? If so, OK? But either way if you're going to do any retuning with the current carb, then do it first and check the manifold vac to see if there's really any decent potential in a larger carb.

Also. Since the only changes you made were intake and exhaust, the timing should not need anything else. So if you want to start learning. This is a great time. I posted some starting points for tuning on and off dyno a couple threads down - you can skim through that.

Quick Fuel Carb. So these are actual Holly Carbs as well?.. So much information and so much to choose from...Are the Quick Fuel Carbs just as good as the Holly Carbs?
They have advantages and disadvantages but in principle, the work exact same way.
I just checked that ad out. Unfortunately that's not a good build. If you want to pickup one, get an early one, and preferably one thats not been modified.

The Quick Fuel 650 I currently have required extensive tuning and clogged up easily as the car went through its cosmetic restoration of over a year. I had to rebuild it at $250.00 just to get it going again. It performs awesome when optimally tuned on the dyno.
Here's a great place to start. Learn to clean to clean 'em and put new gaskets in. There's really no reason why it should have clogged due to a restoration other than portions of fuel turns to varnish over time. The rebuild will cost you time, some gloves (get the black ones), carb cleaner and some gaskets.

Re: Electric choke. Is the current carb setup with one? I ask for two reasons. Automatic chokes can be a pain to set up with hot cams. This is made worse if the carb doesn't have choke 'pull off". This the vacuum actuated partial opening of the choke once the engine is running. Also our cars didn't come with electric assisted chokes - so that portion will need to be wired in if it hasn't been.

Last edited:
Wish I knew how to tune them or where to go to get it tuned....The last tune before I changed over to the Air gap intake cost me just over $600.00 They did an optimum tune with jet/metering rods and changed out the weights for timing advance. They did an awesome job with its performance, but the tune cost me as much as a new 750 double pumper....thinking of getting both carbs tuned to the engine and just using the 750 on the track

SO "what happened" to that tune?

Apparently the change in intake and headers and/or the carb overhaul made it run rough (at warm up? on the road? on the track? somewhere anyway - it wasn't the original question, so I didn't create an off-track. but maybe now is the time to ask).

The change from the summit racing intake manifold to the EdleBrock RPM Air Gap changed the performance of the carburetor. The engine has a slight rough running acceleration and is prone to backfiring up the carburetor. It isn't too bad when it's warmed up but it's still subtle in roughness acceleration.. It reminds me of when it running before I had it optimally tuned. It was fine before the changeover. The Airgap is a bit talker and where I had a 1" spacer between the carb and the intake manifold, I could no longer use the spacer due to hood clearance. Since I've had it optimally tuned at one time, I thought I'd go for the 750 rather than spend another $600.00 on a tune.Of course, I realize I probably have to spend that anyways on the 750, if I get a good 10 HP out of it, it may be worth it to me. I'd like to see Mid 12's in my quarter mile run if possible but even if I break 13's I'll be happy. Best time so far, is 13.58

Agree. This would be the best use of your money. However I did note...

Swapping carbs to go to the track is a PIA. Would you really want to do that to gain what, a couple of mph? If so, OK? But either way if you're going to do any retuning with the current carb, then do it first and check the manifold vac to see if there's really any decent potential in a larger carb.

Also. Since the only changes you made were intake and exhaust, the timing should not need anything else. So if you want to start learning. This is a great time. I posted some starting points for tuning on and off dyno a couple threads down - you can skim through that.

They have advantages and disadvantages but in principle, the work exact same way.
I just checked that ad out. Unfortunately that's not a good build. If you want to pickup one, get an early one, and preferably one thats not been modified.

Here's a great place to start. Learn to clean to clean 'em and put new gaskets in. There's really no reason why it should have clogged due to a restoration other than portions of fuel turns to varnish over time. The rebuild will cost you time, some gloves (get the black ones), carb cleaner and some gaskets.

Re: Electric choke. Is the current carb setup with one? I ask for two reasons. Automatic chokes can be a pain to set up with hot cams. This is made worse if the carb doesn't have choke 'pull off". This the vacuum actuated partial opening of the choke once the engine is running. Also our cars didn't come with electric assisted chokes - so that portion will need to be wired in if it hasn't been.
I've had good luck with the electric choke and yes, the current quick fuel double pumper 650 has an electric choke setup. Works good starts up nice and warns up good. I would be more prone to experiment with this carb if I had the 750.i understand the cleaning process, but how are the floats adjusted for optimum performance and how does one determine what jets and metering rods to use? Back in my high school years when it had the AVS 525 Carter I messed around with the carb only to burn up my valves experimenting with the jets/metering rods. I developed severe backfire out the exhaust and it wasn't too long after I had reassembled the engine from a rebuild. I would hate to burn up my current build, so I'm good with leaving carb tunes to the professionals.

Backfiring through the carb is timing. That (not getting it exactly where it was before) is just par for the course when swapping intakes. A little less initial and it will smooth out and the whole curve will be back to where it was - or at least be closer.

There's no rods in the Holley design. If your interested in learning, the Urich books and Chrysler pamphlets I recommend at the end of the "Nothing to Compare" thread cover the basics.

Details for your QF will come from QF. It probably has the large see-through window rather than the small plug on the side of the bowl. If it does, starting point for fuel is generally in the middle. Very fine trimming can be done to fuel delivery by adjusting them slightly, but basically the factory setting is good.

Last edited:
Backfiring through the carb is timing. That (not getting it exactly where it was before) is just par for the course when swapping intakes. A little less initial and it will smooth out and the whole curve will be back to where it was - or at least be closer.

There's no rods in the Holley design. If your interested in learning, the Urich books and Chrysler pamphlets I recommend at the end of the "Nothing to Compare" thread cover the basics.

Details for your QF will come from QF. It probably has the large see-through window rather than the small plug on the side of the bowl. If it does, starting point for fuel is generally in the middle. Very fine trimming can be done to fuel delivery by adjusting them slightly, but basically the factory setting is good.
Yeah, after the intake was installed, I noticed it was pinging in 5th gear, where it never had before the switchover. I was going to see where the timing marks were lined up but when I put the timing light on it, it was not reading anywhere on the timing mark scale. I knew I had to retard it to get rid of the pinging, so I backed it down very little. Pinging was gone, but it runs slightly rough and has that backfire up the carb especially when cold. Should I try advancing it again. I don't think I must've moved it more than a couple of degrees. It really shouldn't backfire for that , should it?

Sounds VERY similar to the 340 in my 69 Barracuda. A 750 Edelbrock worked fine for me. Lots of power. I did re-jet the primaries down two steps though. It was running rich while cruising around the streets, but that took care of it, and I noticed no difference when I stomped on it.

Sounds VERY similar to the 340 in my 69 Barracuda. A 750 Edelbrock worked fine for me. Lots of power. I did re-jet the primaries down two steps though. It was running rich while cruising around the streets, but that took care of it, and I noticed no difference when I stomped on it.
Ordered my Holly 750 ultra double pumper...we'll see how efficient it is while I experiment in tinkering with my 650....learning how to clean it out and shelving it for a later time to use. Maybe I'll get it tuned at a later date with the car again. Thanks for all your input and suggestions. Might anyone know where I might find a cold air intake for this car rather than sucking the hot engine compartment air? The hood clearance between the carburetor and the inside of the hood is minimal....

Ordered my Holly 750 ultra double pumper...we'll see how efficient it is while I experiment in tinkering with my 650....learning how to clean it out and shelving it for a later time to use. Maybe I'll get it tuned at a later date with the car again. Thanks for all your input and suggestions. Might anyone know where I might find a cold air intake for this car rather than sucking the hot engine compartment air? The hood clearance between the carburetor and the inside of the hood is minimal....
My theory of option...
The hood scoop works , if you do the homework. As such the Spectre dual intake.

download (3).jpeg

spectre-performance-cold-air-intake.jpg

You changed a pretty big thing. The Airgap blocks off the exhaust cross over that heats the carburetor. This is why you've run into different drivability and also whi it runs better warmed up. Sounds like the carburetor needs to be richened up to compensate. It was probably on the verge of being too lean before the swap, the intake swap just pushed it over the edge. This should be easily overcome tuning on the carburetor......and for WAY less than 600 bucks. If you were close by, I would say bring the beer and I would hook you up.

The change from the summit racing intake manifold to the EdleBrock RPM Air Gap changed the performance of the carburetor. The engine has a slight rough running acceleration and is prone to backfiring up the carburetor. It isn't too bad when it's warmed up but it's still subtle in roughness acceleration.. It reminds me of when it running before I had it optimally tuned. It was fine before the changeover. The Airgap is a bit talker and where I had a 1" spacer between the carb and the intake manifold, I could no longer use the spacer due to hood clearance. Since I've had it optimally tuned at one time, I thought I'd go for the 750 rather than spend another $600.00 on a tune.Of course, I realize I probably have to spend that anyways on the 750, if I get a good 10 HP out of it, it may be worth it to me. I'd like to see Mid 12's in my quarter mile run if possible but even if I break 13's I'll be happy. Best time so far, is 13.58

You changed a pretty big thing. The Airgap blocks off the exhaust cross over that heats the carburetor. This is why you've run into different drivability and also whi it runs better warmed up. Sounds like the carburetor needs to be richened up to compensate. It was probably on the verge of being too lean before the swap, the intake swap just pushed it over the edge. This should be easily overcome tuning on the carburetor......and for WAY less than 600 bucks. If you were close by, I would say bring the beer and I would hook you up.

I know a good tune on my current carb would be necessary, but I've opted to try more CFM. We'll see how it performs. Thanks for your offer of tuning and helping out. Although you are a pretty far drive to help me. I'll keep you guys in touch once I take her out to the track this Spring

I know a good tune on my current carb would be necessary, but I've opted to try more CFM. We'll see how it performs. Thanks for your offer of tuning and helping out. Although you are a pretty far drive to help me. I'll keep you guys in touch once I take her out to the track this Spring

Well a bigger carburetor IMO is heading the right way.

Should I try advancing it again. I don't think I must've moved it more than a couple of degrees. It really shouldn't backfire for that , should it?
Sure, why not?
If the mixture in any cylinder lights off before the intake valve is completely closed, what's going to happen? (check out those links in last paragraph here, especially this one.)

I knew I had to retard it to get rid of the pinging, so I backed it down very little. Pinging was gone, but it runs slightly rough and has that backfire up the carb especially when cold.
So why go back to what you know is no good? Keep going 'til its better (or gets worse in some way). Signs of too little advance will be that it acts sluggish and runs hot.

I noticed it was pinging in 5th gear, where it never had before the switchover. I was going to see where the timing marks were lined up but when I put the timing light on it, it was not reading anywhere on the timing mark scale.
Too many unknowns. Was this done with vacuum advance? Plug the vac advance for base timing measurement. When done, if the base timing was anywhere from 12 to 20 BTDC, make sure the the vac advance hose is attached to the timing port on the side front metering block.
If the timing marks only go to 10 degrees, you'll need to add marks using a timing tape.

Last edited:
Raul, learn how to tune this yourself. Save huge amounts money!!!
Write down the jet sizes before you change them and what you change them to. A written record helps a lot.

Not one question about what the car ran for MPH.... You guys are slacking

ET is Chassis
MPH is HP

What did it run for MPH on that 13.58 pass. It should be in the 98-100 range. If it's higher, then look at getting the car to leave the line better.

That engine should not likely require a vacuum pump at that HP rating. Something seems off to me.

Last edited:
-
Back