Big block 383 build!

-

petreed150

Reaction score
Ok I have got rid of all my smallblock stuff and have started collecting parts for my 383 build going into my 83 D150 2wd.All i have to get is a crank,pistons and rings,harmonic balancer,headers,carb and fuel pump,water pump and heads which i have been talking to Mike at MRL Performance.So i am going to get with him for the remaining parts.Block is from a 68 charger rt se.It is already done machined and is bored 30 over.Intake is Mopar M1 dual plane and rods has been conditioned but gonna let Mike check them over.Cam is brand new and came with package deal which is comp magnum 280/480 with 230 duration@50 with lifters and 2500-5800 rpm range!Also have Moroso valve covers!Figured I would start sharing the pics and see what u guys think of it and how do think it run?And only gave $750.00 for the whole package

Attachments

• 081912213900.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,464
  • 081912223549.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,369
Yeah i have ran out of money for my smallblock stroker that i was gonna do and one of my bigblock buddies decided to help me get my truck back going so i have sold all my small block stuff and I am gonna have this going by winter!Going with KB pistons and 516 heads!So I am finally happy with myself as I have been unhappy for longtime with all my smallblock stuff as i spent too much money and now I am out of work because of my back but hopefully go back in Sept.So I am getting this one done and its going in!

...........good deal.........u need to get that paint out of the valley, as it will come off and plug the oil pump..........kim...........

Yeah we arent done with it yet have to put freeze plugs in it to done has cam bearings in it!But still going to touch up paint!

Wished I would have took pics of the four built motors on the other side!2 318s and a 426 max wedge on the other side of garage behind 69 roadrunner!

I wish you luck but...........
Already bored .030? with no pistons to match the bore?
My machine shop will not even touch a bore job unless he has the piston in his hand to mic it for tolerances.
Before you buy any parts take it to your machinist and have them look it over.
And what kim said have the block dipped to get rid of the paint, that is a no-go on a rebuild.

So i need to have it checked before i buy the pistons?I will talk to MRL and will have it fixed it was already painted and packaged and sitting in his garage because he was gonna build it awhile back and decided to go with 440 with blower!But i definately want it to be right!

Thanks and yeah i cant wait!I will post pics when get more parts and build done!Working on 8 3/4 with 3.91 gear and still have to build my 727!

Is there a particular kind of balancer you're looking for? I have a stock '68 balancer from the 383 I just tore down...it's stock and looks OK...would you be interested?

Just alittle update!I went and bought a complete 70" 383 for 150 bucks and now i have a forged crank and 906 heads as i already tore it down and got more stuff i needed plus brackets and also bought carter 6903 fuel pump and mopar performance hi-volume oil pump!Just have to got water pump,harmonic balncer,kb400 pistons since i have 906 heads,piston rings and have the rotating assembly balanced and headwork done!Will post more!Thanks

So the guy that sold me everything has more intakes and so i switched the mopar m1 to weiand action plus!He says it will be little better than m1.Buying the KB400 pistons and rings next week!So the build is as follows,383 with 30 over,not zero decked so that is why we are using KB400 pistons,Comp 280H cam with 230@50 and 480 lift,weiand action plus intake with holley 750 dp,906 heads that is gonna be ported with valve job and stock 2.08/1.74 valves and comp 911 springs,stock rockers,gmb water pump,carter 6903 fuel pump and mp hivolume oil pump,stock 383 rods redone and forged crank!All this is gonna be hooked to 727 with Turbo Action 11in 3000 stall and 8.75 with 489 case with 3.91 sure grip and cal-trac bars!will be done hopefully by Jan 2013!Cant wait to see how this truck is gonna run!P.S. Will measure how far the pistons will sit down and make sure I get the compression up!

Use the steel shim head gaskets the will bump the compression up a bit. I just recently built a 440 and put it in my 87 ram too. I love these old trucks. Keep the pics coming too man.

Ok I will and yeah done got the steel shim gaskets with .020 thickness!Hopefully will not have to mill the heads but wanting between 9.5 to 10.1 comp!Whick water pump would you run,GMB standard or a hi volume?I have the rest of the pumps!Just got to get water pump,pistons and rings,balancer and Have the heads redone!Also if you dont mind the questions will the stock rear sump pan work with hi-volume oil pump?Do you have pics Mopar367

Yes The rear sump truck pan will work with the high volume oil pump. Just make sure you have the proper pickup for the truck pan. Also personally, I like to try to keep cooling systems close to stock. When you start mis-matching things like rads, electric fans and shrouds. Combined with a higher than stock volume water pump It can cause cooling issues that are tough to solve.

Ok i will just get the gmb 120-1200 water pump as it is a standard volume just aluminum!I am gonna use stock rad,water pump housing and I got to get the pickup for pan tomorrow my buddy misplaced it but he called me tonite and found it!Thanks and will post some more pics when the build proceeds!Painting all the brackets,water pump housing and oil pump tomorrow!Got to buy pistons and take rotating assembly and heads to machine shop!

Cool, I just picked up a 383 so your build might give me some ideas for my own. Gotta have pics though lol

I like the trucks!Mine is 83 but wished it was late 70's!My favorite is the one double stacked headlights!But after truck is done I am gonna get a 71-74 charger hopefully!

If I had the money I would have put a 440 crank,440 rods and diamond pistons but just want to get it back on the road!But do have extra block and it eventually will be 383/431 stroker!But I will post you some more pics soon!

Sounds good, maybe we can exchange pics. There doesn't seem to be a lot of people on the truck forum. And the layout isn't as good as abbodies or bbodies. Ill put up a few of mine for you to see too.

OK thanks!yeah layout is alot better on here and alot of nice people on here!I finally done away with smallblocks and went big block!I got alot of hotrodding buddies here but they are all chevys but two and they are bigblock mopar!Just pm me if ever need anything!

-
Back