Big block 383 build!

-
Ok I have mopar hi-volume oil pump but some people telling me i need to use standard so and i have stock truck oil pan so which oil pump do i need?If Hi-volume do i need deeper pan?

Certainly someone else will chime in on this one; from what all I've read, unless you're putting a huge tax on the engine, the stock oil pump is more than adequate.

Yes the oil pump doesn't effect the pan or pickup on a big block dodge. The pump is on the outside of the engine near the front. Also a stock pump will be good for your engine but if you already have a high volume one, use it. Maybe get a hardened oil pump drive gear because the high volume pumps are harder to drive.

Ok painting all the brackets and pumps but got to buy the balancer this week and pistons the next week and will post more thanks!

Here is my truck , though it might give you some inspiration to get your truck done. I built the 446 this spring and just got it in a few weeks ago. So if you run into problems I'm sure I have been there and done it. Just PM me.

Attachments

• 100_0675.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 494
  • 100_0676.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 482
  • 100_0673.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 490
  • 100_0674.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 479
  • 100_0592.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 482
Heck yeah!And yeah Im getting the fire back under me to get it done!I messed around and built my last motor and changed it around so much I almost lost interest because I didnt know what I wanted but I do now!

I've painted the water pump housing and intake!Update,Was gonna use aluminum intake but guy decided he wanted to use it on his 451 stroker so i decided to use factory 4 barrel but with mods!He gasket matched it with slight polishing in runners and cut in divided dual plane!This is until I buy me either performer rpm or torker!

Attachments

• 091112124149.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 457
  • 091112124211.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 475
  • 091112124222.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 449
Long time reader but don't post very much, anyhow just got my 383 done with stock lower end, but cam and Indy heads, made 452hp @ 5500.

Going in my Cuda with 727 & 3.91 posi, if you need any info let me know,

Regards

Attachments

• 383-a.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 467
Long time reader but don't post very much, anyhow just got my 383 done with stock lower end, but cam and Indy heads, made 452hp @ 5500.

Regards

is that stock pistons as well???:D

No I had diamond pistons make some custom ones, also useing the PRW roller rocker arms, and MSD.

Regards

On painting the block, not trying to stir anyone up but for a long time that was common pratice. We used Glyptal paint.
Glyptal is a paint that GE use to paint electrical motors inside. It does adhere strongly to castiron.
Volvo have used it inside their marine motors for ages.
The idea was to seal the new block so no impurites from that casting could come loose and mix with the oil as well as aiding in oil drain back.
It was a big deal in the 70's to paint the inside, I had a ton of motors that I painted, if it made a difference or not, who knows. If you are looking for Glyptal check out electrical motor rebuilding outfits.

Thanks TexasCuda and that is one nice motor!Hoping mine is at least 380+ hp and 420+tq!I will also check out Glyptal!

One other thing had the carb done by http://www.chucknuytten.com/, flows 780 and set everyting up so it ran 1st time no problems, plugs look great.

Cost $430.00 to work the carb + carb so I have about a grand in the carb....

Regards

Regards

What cam ,what INDY heads, and what is your compression ratio ?

RPM RANGE 2300-6500

ADV. DURATION 284/296

DURATION @ .050 240/246

VALVE LIFT .507/.510

LOBE CENTER 110

Indy EZ heads

Comp Ratio is 11.5

What was done to the heads , that's not a big cam but some think 550HP is easy to get from a stock stroke 383 , your combo shows it's not that easy .

Unless that 452 is rear wheel HP

Nothing done to the heads and nothing but balance to the lower end. I wanted to keep it for a street car and pump gas, 452hp was on a engine dyno.

Kim Barr built the lower end, he only ran it to 5500 rpm, I think 550hp from a stock lower end would be hard, if the heads where ported maybe a few more hp. I would think a stroker would bring the 550hp.

My problem now is a torque converter, max torque is at 451 at 4500, thinking about the 9.5 but what stall is correct?

Regards

Got the motor in this weekend

Attachments

• P1010010.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 370
Ok,Just alittle update that on the 25th this month will order the pistons and taking the rotating assembly and heads to machine shop!Then all i got to do is get headers and tranny ready!Finally after 2 1/2 months got to go back to work.

I may have missed it in the thread...but what pistons are you going with?

The kb400 pistons with the dome to get my compression up because they should sit .024 in the hole!I could go with kb flattops but i will have mill my heads and intake up to get up to 9.5 comp!

Well went to hensleys yesterday and they hadnt started on the 318 block so the guy that bought it from me took over the machine work and Hensley took the 1100 dollars i already paid and put it towards my rotating assembly for the 383 so should be ready in couple of weeks!

-
Back