Big block 383 build!

-
Thanks!Still got to take and have heads and valve job checked and do some porting!Paint the heads and get 727 rebuilt!But still got to get center case to have rearend ready,just trying to figure out what gear!

your gonna love that engine. i just got mine running and its a stock stroke 383 with 8.75:1 compression. running ported eddy heads and a way over sized cam. still runs like a scalded dog.

[ame]http://youtu.be/ovfE81ZxH2k?t=2m50s[/ame]

Which cam you running?Sounds a bit bigger than my cam but I cant wait!Its going in my 83 d150!Thinking about 4.10 gear and caltracs setup!Great video and nice motor!

the engine is way over cammed. i built it when i was 19 and was just buying speed parts. had way more money than i knew what to do with then. the cam is 525 lift and 254 @ .050. If i had 12:1 compression it would be a monster. i got 4.10 gears and caltrac rear suspension. the heads are eddy heads worked by aero head. the car loves to rev. it hits 7k instantly. gonna run what i got for this season and then build my stroker motor this winter. the 383s can be hard runners.

I've been reading this thread and find it very interesting as I have a 383 non-hp motor that I am going to put in my 1967 charger.

This subject is more in-depth than any thread I've read so far.

Thank you all!

If i could had the money I would have zero decked and went flattop pistons but have another 383 block that will make up for it later!But I have learned alot from everybody on here and here in my hometown!Big car guys here for all i have is a truck but Im gonna make something of it!Thanks to everybody and ur welcome!P.S. I know my motor is mild but hope it runs great!

Hey younggun,are you gonna build a 383 stroker?

no im gonna build a 400 based 470 cid. the 383 i have now will go in my 65 valiant. my dads demon went 11.80 with a dead stock 383 bottom end and ported 906 heads. these little engines can run hard.

Hey guys don't post here much but I built my 383 with Indy heads, hp was 452@5500, what are you guys useing to keep these engines cool, my rad is not keeping up and was thinking about a Alum rad from Wizard cooling.

Attachments

• P1010051.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 410
Texascuda, have you already verified that the rad isn't blocked at all? Looks right at home in there. :)

Yea, took it to a shop flow was good so here in texas with 100 temp on the way just don't think this 2 core 22" will work. anyone used Wizard Cooling?

Regards

Ah OK, 2 core 22"...yeah, it probably will get a little warm here in Texas during the summer. Sorry though, I can't speak for Wizard Cooling...

100* temps and a big block a-body is quite the demand on a cooling system. I think an aluminum 3-4 core with a 7-blade clutch fan and a well executed fan shroud are a must. you might even need an additional elec. pusher fan on the front of the rad.

Texascuda,If you want to keep the stock look you can have another row added to your 2 core to make it a 3 core. I have done this in the past with good results.An alternative would be to find a 24" B body radiator or a 26" C body one and do some cutting on the radiator opening.Your engine and compartment look awsome.

Well she is almost ready but trying to decide to buy weiand action plus intake or keep stock look!

Attachments

• 0402132153.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 282
Well she is almost ready but trying to decide to buy weiand action plus intake or keep stock look!

dump the cast iron intake and pick up a performer rpm. best duel plane on the market. drop 50lbs and dissipate heat better. best money you will have spent on your engine yet! sand off the eddy logo and paint it engine color and she will blend right in. it will bring an easy 20+ hp over the stock manifold.

Almost finished!Decided to keep stock intake.Took Ken Hensleys advice as he said he built a 383 once and it was faster with stock 4barrel intake.So we will find out!

Attachments

• 0416131823a.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 241
Texascuda,If you want to keep the stock look you can have another row added to your 2 core to make it a 3 core. I have done this in the past with good results.An alternative would be to find a 24" B body radiator or a 26" C body one and do some cutting on the radiator opening.Your engine and compartment look awsome.
A 26" C-body 3 row is an excellent cooler for these cars.

-
Back