Big Block w/ spool mounts

-

rklein383

Reaction score
My son and I have been working on his 67 notchback. Someone did a hack job attempt at putting a 440 in it. Anyhow, the k frame has spool mounts. I think this is a 73-76 k frame for a slant 6, but am not sure. Any ideas on if this is correct? Are motor mounts available for this combo?
rod

Motor mounts are available, but post some pics of what you have to be sure. Schumacher has mounts for any of the k-members, but you can save yourself money if it's a small block k-member.

Original Direct Connection:

Attachments

• P1010886.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 420
  • P1010887.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 407
  • P1010888.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 407
  • P1010889.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 386
I'd guess that shows the engine moved back? The oilpan will probably hit the steering centerlink? The transmission mount won't fit any longer, etc. I'd buy another used one and upgrade to the Disc brakes from a 73 + while you're at the junkyard?

Moving the mount saddles only puts the engine in the proper location, which is set by the trans mount.

Original Direct Connection:

Wow your original DC K frame has about as much chicken poop welding as mine does. Must have been a starndard thing. I think the DC install IMO would be cleaner, cheaper and only a little bit of work really. Them conversion mounts are 100+ and that money can be spent on more go fast parts.

That's not my DC k-member. Every one I have owned I built (or helped build). I did borrow one in the late 80s and it looked just like those pictures (stolen/borrowed from somebody else). I'm not a great welder, but all of mine have looked better.

Mr. Lusk,
thanks for the pictures of the K frames. We got a small block K frame from a local junkyard. My son is going with a 340 instead of the 440 so we don't have to move the spools over. It's a simpler and cheaper installation and will make a better overall car.
Rod

Wow your original DC K frame has about as much chicken poop welding as mine does. Must have been a starndard thing. I think the DC install IMO would be cleaner, cheaper and only a little bit of work really. Them conversion mounts are 100+ and that money can be spent on more go fast parts.

i have 2 and they look just as bad. krysler kwality...

Mine looked pretty bad on my DC k-member too! I cleaned them up and run another pass over the original welds. I also cut the 3/4" lip from the oil pan area and welded it solid as well as all the other lips where there were very few spot-welds. You will need to find a set of "C" body engine mounts so the bigblock will drop in correctly.

Pay no mind to the poly inserts on the engine mounts, my nephew put them in wrong but they have been corrected.

Attachments

• progress 003.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 294
  • progress 005.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 295
-
Back