Big *** fan

-
Just make certain you don't accidently stick a 3450 RPM motor in there. You may find you are going to want a larger fan pulley and a smaller motor pulley!!

When I first started in HVAC, we built a couple of 60? 80? HP screw compressor lumber dehumidifiers out in the Spokane Valley. If I remember correctly, there were 16 of those big (Dayton) belt drive fans up in the overhead to circulate air. I forget if you could get one.......or two RR flatcars full of lumber in them.

Just make certain you don't accidently stick a 3450 RPM motor in there. You may find you are going to want a larger fan pulley and a smaller motor pulley!!
Bad bearings, i plan on rebuilding the original baldor motor thats in there, gonna scrub all the dirt and grime out of the damn thing while i have the motor out. I have worked for this company for 23 years, its been there at least that long running continuously every summer in the paint shop, which used to be the propeller shop years ago. Got a local industrial electric motor rebuild shop that i can go to get brushes and bearings for it. Gonna pull the motor off this weekend and get an update.

Last edited:
Begs the question can one ever have enough fan or big *** for that matter??????? Somewhere there will be CFM specs on that bad boy!
All ya need to know about ***

IMG_85321.jpg

Ok I live in the natural state of Arkansas, I know everyone here in the south enjoys a Breeze , We shoot the breeze and feel the breeze :steering:

Ok, lets get to my post I found two old attic fans and gave one to my son for our shop, Breeze (her name) keeps me and anyone cool on the deck and the bugs off us (Skeeter's) as we enjoy setting outside.
On the return side over the heavy screen (protector) put a window screen on it to grab all the skeeter's you can, at night lay a drop light by it and then go out with a spray bottle of plain old alcohol and be ready shut the fan off and as it slows spay the alcohol on the screen, don't even try and count how many skeeter's you killed just shack the screen and freak yourself out by how many there is :lol:

Meet Breeze :thumbsup:, and Buddy if you never have

20245667_1744933885521950_6983337285226984107_n.jpg

My buddy dropped it off tonight. Holy crap this thing is big. I need to figure out a good storage spot in the shop for this thing when its not in use.
I built one out of an old attic fan, had a dryer motor on it, was always going to gear it up to blow the mosquitoes out, but never got around to it. It was always in the way, so after about 30? yrs, when the capacitor failed, I finally junked it. If ur garage or shop is big enough doooo it !

I built one out of an old attic fan, had a dryer motor on it, was always going to gear it up to blow the mosquitoes out, but never got around to it. It was always in the way, so after about 30? yrs, when the capacitor failed, I finally junked it. If ur garage or shop is big enough doooo it !
I paid scrap price for the two I picked up or cheeper, $3.00 for two like the one in my picture at an auction . I pulled an old comp motor off a bad comp and it don't need to go any faster :steering: dang thing would have to be tied down :rofl: I am digging mine, but I do have a bunch of places to keep it.

If you get a replacement motor, don't get one with a capacitor start. They start and get to full rpm almost instantly. No wind up to speed and coast to a stop. The fan will shudder across the shop every time you turn it on or off.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Installed fan with electric shutters high in my shop. I wanted it more air tight in winter so built a box enclosure with hinged lid and foam seal , added magnets to hold it shut when closed. With rope /pulley system to open. Wind has never yet moved cover and is very sealed when closed. It exhausts hot air from peak keeping shop cooler.
Yote

Well i got the motor apart. Its actually a Dayton. I had to scrub and scrub to read the data tag. Damn thing was so loaded with dust. I had to cut the pulley off. It wouldent let go, however its groove was worn so deep it was shot. Replacement pulley will run $10. Bearings are NSK 6203Z. I can get these off evilbay for about $2 each w free shipping. So for $14 i will have this thing up and running again.

Last edited:
If you get a replacement motor, don't get one with a capacitor start. They start and get to full rpm almost instantly. No wind up to speed and coast to a stop. The fan will shudder across the shop every time you turn it on or off.
--------------mine didn`t.

horse indoor arenas in Tx have HUGE overhead fans made by co. called BIGASS fans!!!

a small window AC runs very economically now days, at least back at old place in Missouri. course this is Tx and everything here costs more!! ha

I was given one that was an attic style whole house fan that was belt driven that had been placed in a home made wooden enclosure. Wiring messed up, unsafe with no protective screens etc etc. You all have seen these shop hazards in the past. I reboxed the unit in a new enclosure, rewired it, skinned the box with galvanized metal to protect from elements, made a support grid for both side and covered with 1/2 hardware cloth. Cost about 60.00 for all material but this puppy will evacuate my shop of weld fumes on low speed. I am very pleased with the one I have now...a then and now pic....

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1313.JPG

There are 3 of those PowerfoilX3.0's in a Sears scratch an dent depot by my house. the blades must be 15 feet long! They look like helicopter rotors but are completely silent. I just lubed up a 24" industrial floor fan I found in our tool shed. It was bound up and all it took was was some axle grease in the bushings, no bearings. They are in blind cups so you cant lube them without taking the motor case apart. I'd put a zerk fitting on the back one but I think itll last another 10 years with that moly grease in there. It was missing the front cage so Ill have to put it up high so no one gets chopped up as on the high setting it sounds like a prop plane trying to take off. I may use it as a ventilation fan in the top of the garage, pulling air out through a vent.

I'm thinking 3 things right now.

1. Should i scrub out and repaint the fan box, the blades, and big pulley. Go overboard as i usually do and damn near restore this thing while waiting for my new bearings, and pulley to show up.?

2. Should i just blast it with simple green and a scrub brush, and get the heavy dust and dirt off.

3. Put the motor back on it after i rebuild i and run it as is.

not sure if rebuild is the answer but anything you do to clean it, make it safe, check the wiring and such to make it more reliable usually equals long time trouble free service down the road.....put a bit of PRIDE in it...

I'm thinking for now to clean out the dust and dirt, check the wiring, and put the motor i rebuilt back in. Just run it as is for now to get me thru the summer. I got too many projects going on. Maybe if i feel froggy i will doll it up over the winter months with a fresh coat of paint on everything.

I got bright red and safety yellow in rattle cans. I cant decide on a fan blade color. A buddy at work said go red w yellow tips or yellow with red tips i will prob pick just 1 color if i repaint the fan.

Clean it yeah, but I'm not sure about painting the blades. Would/could that unbalance the blades?

Clean it yeah, but I'm not sure about painting the blades. Would/could that unbalance the blades?
I dont think that spray painting the blades would hurt the balance. They spray painted them at the factory. I dont see any balancing weights. Nope not an aircraft propeller, good to go. This thing doesnt spin extremely fast either, but with the large blades it does move a lot of air. I did notice its got a 2 speed switch too. Still havent found a placard on it giving a CFM rating. I hosed it out yesterday, prob gonna leave it as is. Greased the bearings for the fan shaft, gonna put the motor back together this wednesday night when the parts arrive and then call it good. Worked out in the shop yesterday in 103° heat. I coulda used this thing.

Parts came in today, so i just had to put it back together. Viola meet my biggest fan. LOL!! I set it to suck air out of the shop to draw the heat out. It worked very well. Found a better deal on the bearings and pulley. Spent a grand total of $14.53

20170724_201717.jpg

20170724_204846.jpg

20170724_210045.jpg

Well I know I'm jealous, LOL, but I don't have anything could benefit from one that large

-
Back