Big horsepower 318 builds

-
YR you're acting like a member that used to be out here named madscientist...
I think he got kicked off cuz he couldn't control himself....
although you probably wouldn't know him he got kicked off the same month you came on...

For the engine builders out there. For the sake of discussion lets say I wanted to take on building a 500HP 318. Using my ported Edelbrock heads, 55cc chambers, they flowed 293 @ .600" with a 2.02" intake but now have 2.055" intakes. Nothing special but they will easily support 500 hp.

Building it like I would any other engine, a good rod, probably custom pistons with low tension metric rings, necessary oiling mods and good bearings and roller rockers. Either my Victor or the Weiand X-Cellerator with a 950HP.

Flat solid or solid roller? Duration and lift? How much compression? Where would the peak torque and HP be (rpm's)? Lets say this is a street/strip deal that will run on pump 93 at least and at most a mix of 110 UL and 93.

Dwayne please weigh in. Also guys that have engine programs, build it and post what you found. I know their accuracy is questionable but this is just for fun discussion.

At 293 CFM, and the Victor correctly ported you can be easily 11.5:1 compression and to keep in at 7k or under, depending on displacement you’ll need to be between 250-260 at .050 with a MM lobe or close to it and an LSA of 106-108 depending on displacement.

That can easily go over 500. Easy.

although you probably wouldn't know him he got kicked off the same month you came on...

Yep. You got nothing. Typical.

I call them like I see them. When YOU build something at my level, let me know. You are here stirring the pot, yet you don’t have a CLUE as to what you’re talking about.

JustinP ran his mouth and I didn't let him run me over. He has crawfished all day long about what he said, what he didn’t say, how he said it and I say PISS on him. Who is he? Another keyboard mouth.

When you can add something of value, let me know.
Yellow rose you can't handle the truth! The truth is I've never seen anything you've built and I never seen you at the track racing anything you built. You fully admit you haven't been to the track in probably 10 years or more. You don't ever want to go to the track you make it a point to say you never will. You build these motors that no one has seemingly ever seen. Well except for the now legendary Exxon Valdez video from bigga.. I have the car with pictures I have pictures at the racetrack I have Time Slips... I've changed my heads I've put in my Cam's I've tuned my carburetors and I've rebuilt my transmissions and all that kind of fun stuff so acting like I don't know how to turn around to build something is utterly ridiculous.. and even another things I've broken ground where you haven't... Now if you want to turn this into a big ***** swinging match go ahead you know I'm not going to back down either...

I got everything and it's all been documented here on the pages of for a bodies only...

Yep I was doing this **** LONG before you came along. And I wasn’t running 11’s with 408 inches. That would be depressing.

BTW, what “ground” have you broken? There is nothing new under the sun. You didn’t do anything ground breaking.

At 293 CFM, and the Victor correctly ported you can be easily 11.5:1 compression and to keep in at 7k or under, depending on displacement you’ll need to be between 250-260 at .050 with a MM lobe or close to it and an LSA of 106-108 depending on displacement.

That can easily go over 500. Easy.
Now we're getting somewhere. :thankyou: :thumbsup:
and stay away from Lead, he's poison, if you know what I mean. lol

Yep I was doing this **** LONG before you came along. And I wasn’t running 11’s with 408 inches. That would be depressing.

BTW, what “ground” have you broken? There is nothing new under the sun. You didn’t do anything ground breaking.
I can tell you my groundbreaking certainly wasn't in engine building.. and yes I have the slowest stroker on the internet I mean someone has to write? I have my claim to fame! LOL..
It's funny we went from let's see your 318 500 horsepower builds to let's entertain the troops...
I have absolutely nothing to prove, there isn't one nut or bolt that hasn't been literally pictured on this forum. That goes from spin balancing the internals of my engine to rebuilding my transmission two changing heads several times to changing cams couple times to changing carburetors and tuning them clutch tamer headliner air condition suspension rebuild rear end two or three times you name it...

I can tell you my groundbreaking certainly wasn't in engine building.. and yes I have the slowest stroker on the internet I mean someone has to write? I have my claim to fame! LOL..
It's funny we went from let's see your 318 500 horsepower builds to let's entertain the troops...
I have absolutely nothing to prove, there isn't one nut or bolt that hasn't been literally pictured on this forum. That goes from spin balancing the internals of my engine to rebuilding my transmission two changing heads several times to changing cams couple times to changing carburetors and tuning them clutch tamer headliner air condition suspension rebuild rear end two or three times you name it...

Go back and slowly read what I said. Fishmen asked what a 500 HP 318 would look like and I said about like my 340. Then I said we will see when it comes off the dyno and ALL the fence leaning window lickers went wild.

I may be wrong. My engine may not make 500. But I won’t know until it goes across the dyno. It’s that simple.

I already know whatever I post will cause the usual suspects will snivel about whatever the numbers are. That’s what they do.

I call them like I see them. When YOU build something at my level, let me know. You are here stirring the pot, yet you don’t have a CLUE as to what you’re talking about.

JustinP ran his mouth and I didn't let him run me over. He has crawfished all day long about what he said, what he didn’t say, how he said it and I say PISS on him. Who is he? Another keyboard mouth.

When you can add something of value, let me know.

Building at your level, now that’s funny. What do you use, Legos?

I haven’t crawfished on anything. Your still a blow hard, always will be and nothing more.

The only person you impress is your pitiful self.

Go back and slowly read what I said. Fishmen asked what a 500 HP 318 would look like and I said about like my 340. Then I said we will see when it comes off the dyno and ALL the fence leaning window lickers went wild.

I may be wrong. My engine may not make 500. But I won’t know until it goes across the dyno. It’s that simple.

I already know whatever I post will cause the usual suspects will snivel about whatever the numbers are. That’s what they do.
You win I'll wait for the dino sheets...

Hindenburg Coming in:

Screenshot_20200816-220230_Gallery.jpg

Captain: We can build a 500 hp 318

1st Mate: Hold my Beer
2nd Mate: Pass the Jack

Screenshot_20200816-220431_Gallery.jpg

7,000 RPM Redline

Screenshot_20200816-220354_Gallery.jpg

Oops . . .

Screenshot_20200816-215602_YouTube.jpg

Really all the internet name-calling dude seriously?...
If someone did W2 heads wouldn't they have to have a w2 intake and w2 exhaust and all the accompanying gaskets?..
Would seem to get a little expensive to put on a 318 to make a point.?..

I’d do it just for fun. No other reason.

Yup! Same guy.....

Jesus, you yourself said the heads like that would be UBER expensive.

So now you want me to think that you’d tell a customer to spend Super Stock money for cast iron heads when a decent prepped Edelbrock head would do at LEAST that good for way less than half the cost.

But, nooooo, you’d tell them that’s what you need. Hell, you could do a valve job to a W2 head and it would at LEAST make the power of the heads used in the article.

Unreal.

Not even remotely close to what I was getting at.

Not even remotely close to what I was getting at.
It happens to me all the time... People will make up this fantastic story based on something I didn't say and leave it out there as internet truth... And until you say what the hell are you talking about, it's left as Internet truth...

It happens to me all the time... People will make up this fantastic story based on something I didn't say and leave it out there as internet truth... And until you say what the hell are you talking about, it's left as Internet truth...

Ain’t that the truth!

You guys turned this thread into a dumpster fire surprise your not on the /6 threads kicking them around telling them how stupid it is to build a /6. Yellow Rose could of handled it better but a least he was on topic until he wasn't lol. Bunch of you just trolled turning the OP thread into a why you shouldn't build a 318 debate, Like you guys always do if it ain't a 360/408 or cams designed for .843 vs .904 etc..

Last edited:
You guys turned this thread into a dumpster fire surprise your not on the /6 threads kicking them around telling them how stupid it is to build a /6. Yellow Rose could of handled it better but a least he was on topic until he wasn't lol. Bunch of you just trolled turning the OP threat into a why you shouldn't build a 318 debate, Like you guys always do if it ain't a 360/408 or cams designed for .843 vs .904 etc..
Shut up dummy....:poke:

You guys turned this thread into a dumpster fire surprise your not on the /6 threads kicking them around telling them how stupid it is to build a /6. Yellow Rose could of handled it better but a least he was on topic until he wasn't lol. Bunch of you just trolled turning the OP threat into a why you shouldn't build a 318 debate, Like you guys always do if it ain't a 360/408 or cams designed for .843 vs .904 etc..
Perfect example...:rolleyes:...

-
Back