Big horsepower 318 builds

-
The Site could do it to raise funds, Get Trick Flow And other performance companies to donate or at least at cost the parts get one of the builders here put it together and raffle it off, be a marketing campaign for the companies if you could put together a somewhat streetable 500+ hp 318 go a long way in people having faith in these companies products and there's enough eye balls on this sites to make it worth it to these companies.

The Site could do it to raise funds, Get Trick Flow And other performance companies to donate or at least at cost the parts get one of the builders here put it together and raffle it off, be a marketing campaign for the companies if you could put together a somewhat streetable 500+ hp 318 go a long way in people having faith in these companies products and there's enough eye balls on this sites to make it worth it to these companies.
The problem is a 318 isn't gonna make 500 horsepower in a "streetable" manner.

the difference in engine size reduces with that 4" crank, 318/360 = 42ci, 390/408 = 18ci. just saying. :thumbsup:
neil.
The few guys I have talked to about 390's say they run damn close to 408's. 18 cubes isn't much.

The problem is a 318 isn't gonna make 500 horsepower in a "streetable" manner.

What's streetable is debatable I mean run on pump gas and idle at respectable rpm so more than race guys would buy a raffle ticket.

The few guys I have talked to about 390's say they run damn close to 408's. 18 cubes isn't much.

Funny how 22 cid is when it's a 318 vs 340 all a sudden it is and it's less with overbore 323-328 cid. :)

Last edited:
How about @Johnny Mac at Blueprint Engines?

Split the difference... do the 360 crank in 340 trick like back in the 80's, only a 318. 346~ cubes.

8,000 is a number I threw out. Seems like 7300+ would be the magic number.
A grenade comes to mind. lol
I know a guy that raced a 318 in a "stocker" truck. He spun it 7200 rpms for 4 years, cast crank, and it held together. Just putting it out there. Oh, I don't know what the hp was, but it went 12's at over 4000 lbs.

First of all, those heads aren’t trick, unless you are running Super Stock, and no way would I have used them. Stud mounted rockers are JUNK. You won’t find many even basic SBC’s out there running stud mounted rockers any more.

Second, all that work on the crankshaft is overrated. He could have reduced the diameter of the counter weights and used a crank scraper and been better off.

Third, you can tube the lifter gallery with a hand drill if you have the common sense of a stick. It’s not hard. And it’s not trick. It should be done on ANY engine with solid lifters and any engine with hydraulic lifters where you want to control oil leaks.

Fourth, using chevy rods is a no brainer. Bearings are cheaper, easier to get and have many more undersized available.

That’s a basic prepped short block, with 10.5:1 for the rules and a solid lifter cam. The heads damn sure ain’t trick flows and most likely aren’t as good as a set of chinese heads with good porting.

Again, it’s not that hard. Nothing trick.

The heads on that engine( i ran it in my car) maxed at a little over 270@600 lift. Nice work but nothing super trick. Very mildly worked actually
I didnt run the camshaft that the engine was on the dyno with.
I ran a 231/238 solid camshaft with similar lift.
I also used that same cheap crosswinds dual plane intake.
The 950 carb i still have to this day. Kept it and gave an almost brand new Pro systems 950 To the guy i sold the car to back almost 5 years ago. It was about 8 slower in the 1/4 than the magazine 950. Just flat wouldnt ET as well. I always give up shiny for ET
I also ran ultra cheap 1 5/8 headers on that combo.
If someone were to make a legit 500 horse from that combo, first thing would be to swap in a dome slug and roller cam. Probably only need something 250 ish at 50
Probably use out of the box trick flow heads and a ported victor or maybe excellerator
At 12.5 compression, those heads and a single plane, it would bust 500 easy with tti step headers and stay at 7k or under.
I didnt even run the thing 6500 with those beehives. Shifted it at 6200 and striped at about 6.

Last edited:
I wish I had a unlimited checkbook. Oops, I'm not going to talk about my 273. We need to concentrate on 318's. Let's start with a stock or .030 over bore, and a stock stroke crank. What pistons, cam, and heads will we need for good horsepower? Of course it will have a good intake/carb combo and headers. Barely streetable or street/strip if you will. There are a lot of guys that drive 5-600 horses on the street. WTF, it's so easy to overbuild.

I wish I had a unlimited checkbook. Oops, I'm not going to talk about my 273. We need to concentrate on 318's. Let's start with a stock or .030 over bore, and a stock stroke crank. What pistons, cam, and heads will we need for good horsepower? Of course it will have a good intake/carb combo and headers. Barely streetable or street/strip if you will. There are a lot of guys that drive 5-600 horses on the street. WTF, it's so easy to overbuild.

If you look at the 4 400 hp @ 6000 rpm 318 builds going around they all where basically a zero decked 318 with 220 ish cfm heads with around 285 110 lsa .500-.550 lift some did it with smaller cams, add 50-100 cfm to the heads should get you up near 500 hp give or take, still probably go air gap unless it's drag only 1 3/4 headers and 750-850 carb. A 400-500 hp 318 in a early a body with 6 speed and some deep gears that handles like a sports car would be a fun car. I'd wouldn't overly worry about 500 hp but go with the Trick Flows, and try to come up with a valve train that would allow you to rev 7000 + rpm and make power, If you could make Rhoades roller lifters with a moderate duration 230-240 cam on a 108/110 Lsa and even use maybe 1.7 rocker to get the lift might come close to an engine that makes near 500 hp and still be decent streetablity. Even a small solid roller might do the trick, when I wanted to build a 400-425 hp 273, the Comp cams solid roller 268 with 230-250 cfm ish heads on my dyno program make a nice flat hp curve from 6000 - 7500 rpm and flat torque through out the powerband even down low, who knows how it would of played out in real life, good thing about smaller displacement engines they don't nose over after peak hp as easy as large displacement.

Now days with cheap turbos is another way to go.

Last edited:

If you look at the LS 4.8l and 5.3l 500 hp combos probably would do similar to a 273 318 would have similar out comes.

Last edited:
I had the same though, Rob.. To exercise a challenge, or to prove it to none other than myself.. Maybe even the thrill of planning out a goal.
Hummmm, maybe FABO should have an Engine Masters for 318's??? (I'm ducking under my desk now)
Well, if there is a pay out, show me the guaranteed money pay out and I’ll start building tomorrow.

How did the engine masters regulate the build rules?
When and where are we meeting at who’s dyno?
Where ever that will be, there’s gotta be a good steak house near by!

Well, if there is a pay out, show me the guaranteed money pay out and I’ll start building tomorrow.

Steak?

I am a Prime rib kind of guy. My heart surgeon probably thinks my choice is ok too! LOL

I think those rules change, from challenge to challenge...

* CI limit is already in place. Let's say overbore limit to .040 and 3.31 stroke.
* Shelf pistons for OE stroke to fit this challenge is non-existent, so ANY piston/ring combo
* maybe make rods open to dealers choice?
* For cost, maybe limit to solid flat tappet.
* Heads? unlimited iron? so CR isn't sapped away by aluminum? Bore will limit valve size.

How are we going to get anything done will you guy's eating.
Thanks, now I'm hungry and we only have burger. lol

If you look at the 4 400 hp @ 6000 rpm 318 builds going around they all where basically a zero decked 318 with 220 ish cfm heads with around 285 110 lsa .500-.550 lift some did it with smaller cams, add 50-100 cfm to the heads should get you up near 500 hp give or take, still probably go air gap unless it's drag only 1 3/4 headers and 750-850 carb. A 400-500 hp 318 in a early a body with 6 speed and some deep gears that handles like a sports car would be a fun car. I'd wouldn't overly worry about 500 hp but go with the Trick Flows, and try to come up with a valve train that would allow you to rev 7000 + rpm and make power, If you could make Rhoades roller lifters with a moderate duration 230-240 cam on a 108/110 Lsa and even use maybe 1.7 rocker to get the lift might come close to an engine that makes near 500 hp and still be decent streetablity. Even a small solid roller might do the trick, when I wanted to build a 400-425 hp 273, the Comp cams solid roller 268 with 230-250 cfm ish heads on my dyno program make a nice flat hp curve from 6000 - 7500 rpm and flat torque through out the powerband even down low, who knows how it would of played out in real life, good thing about smaller displacement engines they don't nose over after peak hp as easy as large displacement.

Now days with cheap turbos is another way to go.

I'm not sure 230-240° in a 318 will get you 500hp, a solid roller may get it close. I posted my 340 earlier and it wasn't 500hp with a 236/242° hydraulic cam. Even with ported Edelbrocks I shifted it at 6400, anything earlier or past 6600 and it slowed down.

If I were building this engine I'd be looking at cams in the 250-260° range and around .600" lift, most likely a solid roller.

Your mileage may vary.

no body ever builds a 500 hp 318 cause every body tells them to forget the 318 and build a 360 and if your serous then your stroking that!! last 8 years show me a thread saying a 400 hp 318 was a good plan?? ill wait!!!! if some body ever built a 400+ 318 besides hotrod and chevycraft and shows a dyno sheet other than westech to prove it lil 318 core prices will go up equal to 360 cores!!

no body ever builds a 500 hp 318 cause every body tells them to forget the 318 and build a 360 and if your serous then your stroking that!! last 8 years show me a thread saying a 400 hp 318 was a good plan?? ill wait!!!! if some body ever built a 400+ 318 besides hotrod and chevycraft and shows a dyno sheet other than westech to prove it lil 318 core prices will go up equal to 360 cores!!
I've got a 318 and a 360 core I'm ready to double the price on...:thumbsup:...

-
Back