Big inch small block for street use.

-

DSG Duster

Reaction score
My '75 Duster with slant six has all the suspension parts for a 360. I am thinking of going to a big inch small block. Any suggestions as to the biggest I could go for a reliable daily driver type engine? What would be the best block to look for? Thanks, Dale.

..........Hey Dale, most do the 408 out of a 360 block, u can go bigger but that costs more and reliability may suffer........................kim....

Best block IMO is the LA 360 roller block 88-91 IIRC. Basically the last few years of the LA with fuel injection.
There are 4.25" and 4.18" stroke cranks out there in addition to the more common 4" stuff.

What's your budget?

A budget stroker engine usually runs at least 7.5K if you assemble it all yourself.

Plus if you go with an aftermarket siamese block you can build a 470+ engine with a 4.25 crank.

He mentioned "reliable DAILY driver". If a budget and daily driver are on your "need to accomplish list", I'd go with a hopped up LA 360? Cheap parts and more reliable. Steer clear of the Magnum 360 route, they are famous for cracked heads. I'm usually VERY pro stroker when people ask about what to build, but for daily driver that would be ill advised as parts wear out quicker.
I'm just assuming of course, but most people building a daily driver are looking for cost cutting AND reliability.

I've got an R3 non-siamese and a BPE 4.25" crank that I'm just itching to put together with a 4.06" piston--440" small block. I am even considering topping this shortblock with some 300+cfm EQ Mag's which IMO would make a unique and streetable big small block. I'm betting with the right cam it would be close to 600 HP and probably 580 ft/lbs all in by 6200 rpm. Besides if you got the itch for more power (and we all do) you put some serious heads on it. The more I think about this the more I like it. J.Rob

I agree with Rodzilla. If you're wanting a true daily driver, I would build a strong stock stroke 360 that can still boil the rear tires and save yourself about $5k for a different project like maybe an overdrive or something. I'm building a 408 for mine, but I only do and few hundred miles a year.

RAMM; Serious heads like a set of fully ported W5's? Or Indy's?

Rodzilla, he was looking for a big inch small block. While I think a 360 is big for a factory delivered CID, I think he was looking for a stroker. They can certainly be reliable.

DSG, RAMM has a nice set up for sale for sure. Priced right. If you didn't go with his set up for what ever reason, the common 4 inch arm provides a nice 48 inch gain.
With RAMM's set up, you jump a whooooping 80's!!!

IMO, I could only describe this big inch small block as providing a mad amount of torque and potential HP is only limited to the head you put on it. If you keep the valve train a reasonable set up (for its displacement) , this can last a very long time in your ride.

DSG, I would build what I am in the process of building right now. It's a 318 stroker with a 200R4 (4R) transmission. I want it for a daily driver with no drag strip use...nothing over 5800 RPM. It will run on pump gas, have a 4" stroke SCAT cast crank (390CI), use an RPM airgap intake, SIR rods, TCI adapter, Holley 750, 360 heads (ported by me and gasket matched), 2.02 /1.60 valves, 340 driver's exhaust manifold and 360 Ram truck passenger. I'm leaning toward a custom cam to get maximum torque. Probably run 4.10 gears and 26" tires. With the 200R4 (stock torque converter) & 4.10 gears I should be able to come off the line like a Rr@ped ape and cruise at 70 doing 2500 RPM. 180 MPH top speed.
This should be a great street car and very drivable with decent gas miliage. Lots of low end torque for the street lights and plenty (and I mean plenty of top end). My thread for the 200R4 swap is here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=252436

The thread that helped me make some of my engine decisions (with the help of FABO members) is here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=255601

I don't want a RACE CAR, gotta use this car to take my daughter to school every morning...just a torque monster with good highway manners. My '69 Barracuda deserves no less!!!
You gotta know what you want BEFORE you build it!! Of course a 360 stroker isn't a bad idea either???

Treblig in Tex

Attachments

• DSC01623.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC01771.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC01777.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 359
  • DSC01748.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC01689.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 344
RAMM; Serious heads like a set of fully ported W5's? Or Indy's?

Rodzilla, he was looking for a big inch small block. While I think a 360 is big for a factory delivered CID, I think he was looking for a stroker. They can certainly be reliable.

DSG, RAMM has a nice set up for sale for sure. Priced right. If you didn't go with his set up for what ever reason, the common 4 inch arm provides a nice 48 inch gain.
With RAMM's set up, you jump a whooooping 80's!!!

IMO, I could only describe this big inch small block as providing a mad amount of torque and potential HP is only limited to the head you put on it. If you keep the valve train a reasonable set up (for its displacement) , this can last a very long time in your ride.

Yes on the heads, W5's or Indys are what I had in mind. Any head compatible with the 59* lifter and an offset intake rocker arm is what I consider the next big step in seriousness. This particular deal I could never do again so yes it would be priced very very right. Another reason I like the above package is the full water jacketing in this R3--nice and cool on the street. J.Rob

Attachments

• R3.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 319
The book "how to build big inch mopar small blocks" by Jim Szilagyi is a really good read.

Agreed, good place to read and learn. Also purchase how to not rod my small block MoPar as it also covers everything in the how to rebuild my small block MoPar.
Between these two books, you'll be in very good shape.
The MoPar engines book is also really good to have.

-
Back