Biohazard

-
Always cool to get the stuff!!!

Have fun with it Dan!

PS. I liked the white!!

haha...I liked it, too. I had planned on white all along but once I abandoned painting the interior panels red...that left me with a black n white interior theme which just wasn't warming the soul. My sample of the red vinyl looks really sweet so I'm pretty excited about it and, in my mind's eye, it's already looking awesome. :D

PS: In a perfect world, Gerald, I would have your car. ;)

Nope!!

Yours is just fine!!

We would both prefer new Hemi cars I bet!

On to some dirty work...

First, I had to pull the seat frame out of the bag it's been in for about 2 1/2 years. I did NOT enjoy being reminded of what this car smelled like back then and thought, for just a moment, about maybe burning the upholstery off the frames. Alas, I needed to know just how it all went together so that idea got shelved.

And here it is....stinky as hell (note the head rest) but otherwise complete and ready for dissection.

Started by removing the rear cover panel. You remove the two screws at the bottom of the panel and slide it off the seat frame.

This shows the hooks that keep the panel against the seatback.

The correct and original screws for yon panel.

The panel removed, you have access to most of the hogrings which secure the upholstery and foam to the frame.

Gotta take off this stuff if you have headrests. (I know most of these cars don't have 'em)

Wish I had realized that the headrests would simply lift right out but I was being careful and got out my special screwdriver to access the screws for the chrome fittings. I figured out about the headrests very soon after and promptly chuckled at myself.

Started pulling hogrings across the bottom.

Took some specific photos of certain things that got hogringed to the frame and how.

This strip of cloth goes across the bottom of the steel frame to buffer where the upholstery is pulled over it at the bottom.

Heavy cardboard panel that goes over the upper part of the seat back.

After wrestling with MANY hog rings...the frame is finally freed of its old, musty encasing.

These rods install through sleeves sewn into the back of the upholstery. When hog-ringed to the frame, they create the 'dished' appearance you'd have from the factory.

And...one for the historical registry.

That's it for today. After struggling with those damn rings, I decided one half of a seat was enough for one day.

Cheers!

Nope!!

Yours is just fine!!

We would both prefer new Hemi cars I bet!

It's the blue that I covet. With white upholstery. Would be just perfect for me. As for new anything..well, where's the fun in that? I'm all down with the "built, not bought" concept and definitely living it!

Those seats look great! Short of the dreaded stink!

Bone stock for sure! What foam did you get? Hope you got PG Classic Foam!!

You will have to do some shaping with the Legendary stuff like I had to do, if that is what you ordered.

It's all legendary.

Their covers are fantastic, but the foam is best for the deluxe cover style!

I had to add foam to the bolster areas on both top and bottom to get the right shape. Never mind carving the grooves for the tie down rods. Wish I had got the PG foam as it is spot on with no extra work.

A local upholstery shop.

A little glue and some muslin from Hobby Lobby to cover it.

So just more of the same stuff then, eh? Easy enough and thanks for the heads up.
Did they send you any material to do the rear cover panel too?

Yep!

My rear upper was just fine so I re-used it. I got the rear seat kit but only needed the lower and the way the foam wraps over the formed frame it was not an issue. It was just a rectangular sheet of foam that needed to be trimmed and hog ringed down tightly.

No, no...I meant the rear cover panel on the bucket seats....that panel that hooks onto the back side of the bucket seat upper.

Hot glue and 1/16" staples from electric stapler.

Lol..this is fun.

Did they (Legendary) include enough blue upholstery to cover those panels along with the seat covers or did you have to order that extra?

Got the kit front and rear. Front came with the backs for the buckets. Creative trimming around the corners is required! The hot glue gun helps to hold it before stapeling!

Ah, interesting. Okay, well all of my stuff was ordered from Classic Industries but it is all packaged in Legendary boxes with Legendary propaganda (sales lit) inside so I would think that my package should look just like yours aside from the color. Guess we'll know for sure come monday as that's when the vinyl is expected to arrive.

I figure if I get half of each bucket stripped to the frame per day, I should have everything ready by the time the covers show up.

One thing I didn't mention above: after getting the seat down to the frame, I loaded my pump sprayer with household ammonia and saturated the whole thing and then left it in the sun all day. I plan to fire up the pressure washer to blast off all of the foam rubber still stuck to the metal and re-treat with ammonia before reassembling.

You have a great template to work from! My seats were from a 67 and they are nowhere near the same. I had to source a set of 69 frames and they were missing some pieces and were in rough shape to start with. All the little metal rods in the burlap were rusted out and I had to remake all of it.

Yes, I'm quite happy to have all the original/correct stuff to work from. and holy cow! $325 for a pair of headrests from (assuming) legendary! ouch

Another round of messing with the stinky stuff today stripping the other bucket seatback.

All in the name of cleaning up this mess on the backside of the garage...

Took less time today than yesterday as I was able to just pretty much tear it all off the frame and yank hogrings like a madman without trying to memorize how it all went together.

The driver's seat was in far worse shape and evidently saw a lot more water than the passenger side. Note the rust.

Noting how some of the heavy wire was routed and secured. (and look at how nasty the burlap is on this one)

Both frames leaned against the wall for pressure washing. It easily removed all the stuck-on foam rubber and some of the paint as well.

After the spray-bath, both frames were soaked down with ammonia and then left outside to dry in the sun.

Tomorrow, I will be stripping one of the seat bottoms...or both if they are not too labor intensive. Meanwhile, I am contemplating paying a visit to my sandblaster with these frames.

Fo rizzle. I think these actually represent the very last of the contamination that got this whole project rollin'. So I'm very happy to be doing this work.

Good work, what are you going to do when the car is finished?
Looks like you have a little snow on the ground in one of the pic's

Yup, get them blasted and paint them. Will look like new when you cover them up.

What snow? What's the temp there? Been below zero here. Wanna trade places?:D

-
Back