Birth of the Blue Missile

-
Another couple of projects off the massive list. I shortened the hood release cable 3/4" and I made some room for the after market headlights. The wires were too tight to the back of the bucket so I officially made the car a Texas car. A couple of small steel cans and a hole saw, seam sealer and spray-on truck bed liner.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000079 (2).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 493
  • WP_000086 (2).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 497
  • WP_000085 (2).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 494
  • WP_000087 (2).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 495
I have been tiding up a few electronic things, replaced the LEDs in the third brake light, inserted a 9pin connector at the hood to allow for the IR upgrade.
I got all the design bits figured out with the IR illumination requirements,so
I built the two small "lights" that are 940nm 20 leds each, kind of in the fog light positions.
The main "lights" will have both 940nm & 850nm LEDs. The system should be good for 300feet.
More as it evolves.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000088 (2).jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 456
  • WP_000090 (2).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 452
Matt,
the "light" emitted from those LEDs is not visible to the human eye. Those are part of the forward looking "Infra Red" system. You know Night Vision.
Andrew

More progress in the land of Infra Red.
I worked up the tooling and ran some samples. I came up with a couple of lenses that seem to fit nicely, maybe with a tweek or two. The IR transparent plastic is black during the day so unless you know what they are they will look just like a couple of trim pieces. I used ply for the form and a pencil torch to heat the tabs and a putty knife to bend and hold them until the plastic cooled.
In the one pic the pink LEDs are the 850nm(longer distance) triple chip, and the purple ones are the 940nm ones.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000104 (2).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 412
  • WP_000101 (2).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 411
  • WP_000106.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 414
  • WP_000099 (2).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 418
  • WP_000098 (2).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 412
  • WP_000096 (2).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 405
  • WP_000095 (2).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 410
OK,
I decided I wanted rear louvers for the car, it gets hot in Texas.I only had a few photos to go buy, but I have a basic design that seems to work well. Mockup was with foamcore board and plastic laminate. nice and light and easy to cut.
Once I could take measurements with the mockup, I started on the "mold". Its a one sided form, essentially. Once Im done I'll stick the whole thing in a vacuum-bag and bag down the carbon.
More as it happens.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000107 (2).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 382
  • WP_000108 (2).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 392
  • WP_000109 (2).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 382
Look, you're no fabricating slouch either!
Keep that thought, let me actually make one first. still a ways to go.
Andrew

Look, you're no fabricating slouch either!
Keep that thought, let me actually make one first. still a ways to go.
Andrew

The difference I see is I stay realitively in the box when fabricating, you are totally outside of the box. Looking forward to seing the completed part.

Made a little more progress over the last couple of days.
Dont ever let anyone tell you, you dont need math after school.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000115 (2).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 356
  • WP_000114 (2).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 352
I got everything trued and filled, and now the first coat of epoxy and glass.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000117 (2).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 333
I just have to look at your thread once in a while to see what kind of off the chart stuff you're doing. Never a dull moment! :)

This is some genius level fabrication.

I wish I had the energy level just to consider doing half this stuff.

Idaho,
Thanks for the kudos.
I spent twenty years doing mill and trim for the carpenters union and I had time to make a number of planes, The one you saw is the 12* version, I also have a 9* version of the same plane and a chisel and rabbit planes as well. I had access to a friends scrap box at his shop where he made guitars. My entire woodworking tool box is made with solid curly maple trim and all of the tools are made out of the same.

OMM- the question is...do I need badges?
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo650.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 311
  • Photo651.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 316
I got the final coat of epoxy on the form today, after another round of sanding, Ill decide if I need to shoot a coat of clear before applying the form release compounds and pulling a part.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000118 (2).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 287
This is an Amazefest going on right here, wood working and Moparing. GREAT STUFF keep it up.

Long time Lurker.
Brad

Thanks Brad.
I got the ply schedule figured out and got all the carbon cut. This will be a combination of 3oz plain weave and 8K unidirectional.
I'll get the part bagged tomorrow.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000119 (2).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 269
  • WP_000120 (2).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 274
Thanks Brad.
I got the ply schedule figured out and got all the carbon cut. This will be a combination of 3oz plain weave and 8K unidirectional.
I'll get the part bagged tomorrow.
Andrew

I'm curious how this is going to turn out... :happy1:

I never thought about using wood as a mold as it's easier for us to model a mold on Solidworks and send foam out to be CNCed. How do you think the surface finish is going to look from a cosmetic perspective?

-
Back