Birth of the Blue Missile

-
Ok all bagged and under vacuum for another four hours then Ill be able to check the fit out tomorrow morning.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000121 (2).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 418
Also curious, where did you buy all of your composites materials, pump, bags, etc. All I know of around here is Aircraft Spruce.

I assume you're keeping that mold. It could be in demand.

Your assumptions are correct. Here is the piece out of the bag I still need to trim the flange and try it on the car to see if the mold needs to be tweaked.
That will be the mornings fair.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000122 (2).jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 411
I would have been really surprised if something didnt need tweaking. I had to turn the side flanges down a bit to make them tight to the glass. Thats done, but I need to give the epoxy time to cure before I can give it another try. Other than that there is about 1/4" gap between the louver and the glass at the center of the spans. I also tried opening the trunk, and I need to trim about 1/4" off the corners of the bottom slat to clear the trunk lid. This was designed to be trimmed, especially for those who dont want the center point on the slats. I probably will trim them to an arc for my use.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000125 (2).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 426
  • WP_000123 (2).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 416
  • WP_000130.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 412
Do you mind posting pictures of both the inside and outside of the carbon part? Looks like good work! Now, I've got a different challenge for you! :D

Have you ever thought about laying up fiberglass on your wood mold? Then bondo and fill in any holes, primer, and sand it. Then use that as a mold for your carbon part. It would require quite a bit more work but the extra prepping will give you a smoother outward surface finish, since that's what most people are going to see. Also, have you ever thought about laying down a layer of carbon, followed by a layer of kevlar, with another layer of carbon underneath? (C-K-C)

MUUMUU,
The reason the “PLUG” is made out of wood is so that, just as it was needed in this case, is so that it can easily be modified. The wood is covered with fiberglass and gloss coats of epoxy so it can be polished out facilitating the piece’s release from the “mold”. Until I’m happy with the shape of the piece, I’m just making one for me. Once the shape is good, next comes the ply schedule. Right now it’s the thickness of a paperclip. Way too thin. But that enabled me to put it on the car and take more measurements to tweak the shape. Until I’m happy with the part I’m not making a negative mold for the finished piece. Even in that case Ill probably use wood for a lot of it. It’s easy to shape and takes the compressive forces of vacuum bagging, also I’ve been “patternmaking” for decades, so its easy for me.
As far as “Kevlar” and most other aramids go, unless you are looking for ballistic protection they are a waste of space. See if you can find a micrograph of Kevlar in matrix. What most people do not know is that aramids never really bond to the matrix. Which is why aramid composites that get submerged in water, suck water into the matrix via capillarity and get heavier.
I got involved with composites in 1980, and have gotten to know a lot of the people that have developed the industry. If composites interest you that much you need to go to the “IBEX” convention in Ft Laud.
Back to work
Andrew

Fair enough! You seem to have far more knowledge of composites than I do. All my experience with it is from trial and error. Simple "garage composites." :D I just remembered we primarily use kevlar for our baja vehicle for protection against rocks since carbon is brittle.

Your experience is correct. Carbon has high tensile strength and little compressive strength, and Kevlar (and other aramids) is the opposite. This is why carbon/aramid hybrid cloths do so well structurally. As long as its not in a wet location.
By the way there is NOTHING wrong with "garage" composite work. That's where I do all of mine.
I even made my own magnetic stirrer out of a mini food processor. Here it is in action. Pic included.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000131.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 394
Hello Andrew....I'm from the Gubberment (EPA) and I would like to check your laboratory / garage....

you are way ahead of the hot rod curve....no doubt, you didn't sleep thru your chemistry class

Denny,
First of all unless you are from O.S.H.A (Official Stripper and Hooker Association) my work is classified above your pay grade. :glasses7:
Other than that you already know what kind of strange projects Im capable of.
I got the re-do all cleaned up and the hardware made.
MuuMuu, the first couple of pics are of the bottom of the piece. I still need to put a few coats of clear, or primer on the piece. Either way Ill get it on the car tomorrow.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000137 (2).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 379
  • WP_000134.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 381
  • WP_000135.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 379
  • WP_000136.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 375
Looking good Andrew! If you ever need a hand let me know. I'm not far from you.

Tommy

Denny,
when it comes time to drop the engine in I'll fly you out!
Here it is mounted the Ma MoPar way I'm not real happy with this, yes it clears the trunk.
I'm thinking about clips that go over the rubber and under the stainless trim.
Thats for later, next is filler primer and paint/clear.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000139 (2).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 352
  • WP_000140 (2).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 350
  • WP_000142 (2).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 354
  • WP_000143.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 361
Looking good! You think when you get the process down the way you want it that you could just clear it? It would go great that way on an all black Demon. :)

Looks "fab" ulous. Real skill and talent on display.

Wow.....every time I go away for a bit and come back, Andrew has a whole new car goin' on! Fabulous progress!

-
Back