Black and yellow

-
They sound like B17 flyin around.
Yep, that's the first thing that caught my attention. All sitting in the kitchen talking. Which included my wife and her sister. So when you suddenly hear something over those two talking, It's like ..WTF :eek: lol

All done. I don't do well with stings. Got hit multiple times once when I mowed over a nest once. It hurt, but I thought it was over till an hour later when I couldn't swallow water. ER gave me an IV of benedryl and I was OK. Really would be good by me if I never do that again... This round, the wife volunteered. If she gets stung it's usually like a fly bite. But I made sure she didn't. Had her in my Carhartt full suit with hood. Full face mask. Long gloves,etc Everything taped. Taped a flashlight to her arm. Can of spray in each hand.. (Sorry, I am forbidden to post the pics my daughter took. LOL )
Waited till they settled after dark.
Their was no activity when she started. and none when she was done. A whole lot in between. But they were dropping, not flying.
Should not have asked to put up the picture.
Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...

Should not have asked to put up the picture.
Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...
Oh, I didn't ask. She was threatening my daughter first just for sending it to my son. They didn't even send it to me (yet)

I had to kill a nest of yellow jackets in the bed of the truck I just bought! They built a huge nest between the tailgate and bed cover.

Friday I went to a friend's and he and his son had tennis rackets fighting bee's that had made a nest in their hay bailer. They finally found the hole they were coming out of and sprayed it with starter fluid. We carry tennis rackets with us when looking at and bringing home old cars, there great for fighting bees and wasp, hornets are a different story, I don't mess with them. My brother called me yesterday and told me I needed to come and get my 73 duster I've had stored up at his place, he got stung mowing around it!

Apologies to the bug lovers. But not coexisting with this 30ft from my deck and 3ft from my garden. Wife did a good job on it last night, but still had some larvae squirming. Hit them with another shot of spray and bagged it this morning.

154CDDC5-9F8F-4DFD-AD22-D986461750B6.jpeg

B4185F50-AB98-4615-A3F3-96B6D91572E9.jpeg

Sometimes I don't know why I can't wait for summer when it's cold.

Sometimes I think summer is the worst when i run into summers critters.

Went out to put a battery in my car, open the hood and as the hood is going up, I feel pain and don't even have time to think about what happened. I step back in time to see about ten more come out of the grille, and there is a nest under the hood lip.

These little bastards are going to get it tonight.

View attachment 1715370432

View attachment 1715370433

If you haven't whacked em yet....be sure to use GOOD spray like Raid. The generic stuff Wal Mart sells just pisses them off! Gasoline in a bean sprayer works good too.

zkx14.....Hornets bite you and sting you at the same time! I was 37 years old the first and only time I ever got stung by a Hornet. Got me right in the temple, and I looked like a Klingon for hours! I'm 61....and remember it like it was yesterday! :eek: Your wife deserves a medal for assassinating them things!

If you haven't whacked em yet....be sure to use GOOD spray like Raid. The generic stuff Wal Mart sells just pisses them off! Gasoline in a bean sprayer works good too.
It sounds like she has done this before...
But yeh, told wife same when she went to hardware store last night. Got this. Doesn’t say foaming, but it is...Two cans did the job quite well. Cans run out fast, but don’t think any got away. She said a couple flew out, turned around and crashed into the foam.

E5543D08-F61D-4BF2-9DBD-B9918AF8B118.jpeg

It sounds like she has done this before...
But yeh, told wife same when she went to hardware store last night. Got this. Doesn’t say foaming, but it is...Two cans did the job quite well. Cans run out fast, but don’t think any got away. She said a couple flew out, turned around and crashed into the foam.

View attachment 1715370669

Once we were flat towing the hemi back from Ft. Smith , a huge yellow and black hornet about 3 1/2" long flew in the window,all were down , dam near had a wreck before that monster got out. Sounded like some one beating on the windows w/ a small bat . Have only seen one that size around here since----------

zkx14.....Hornets bite you and sting you at the same time! I was 37 years old the first and only time I ever got stung by a Hornet. Got me right in the temple, and I looked like a Klingon for hours! I'm 61....and remember it like it was yesterday! :eek: Your wife deserves a medal for assassinating them things!
My daughter was researching them a bit. Said these ‘bald faced hornets’ are actually more closely related to yellow jackets than true hornets. And they really earn their spot on the ID chart posted on page one. Pretty sure they are what landed me to the ER before.

Once we were flat towing the hemi back from Ft. Smith , a huge yellow and black hornet about 3 1/2" long flew in the window,all were down , dam near had a wreck before that monster got out. Sounded like some one beating on the windows w/ a small bat . Have only seen one that size around here since----------
You sure it was a bug? LOL

When you live in the country with wasps and rattlers, copperheads, cottonmouths and the liitle coral snake, you get used to watching for them. The guys in La, and Wa, state, they watch for Bigfoot!!!!!??????

OK so the guy in downtown Baltimore watch for really big rats!?????????????????///

My grandpa used to just clap 'em out of mid air. He had carpal tunnel so bad and his hands were so calloused, I never knew if he just didn't feel the sting or if there was a trick to it. I never have had the guts to try it.

Ma used a garden hose to knock them and their nests off site of the house. Water really, really, really, pisses them off.

Soooo confession time.... as kids in the country... we used to put firecrackers on the ends of long sticks... light them and blow up wasp nests. Then ran like hell...

I had small bees and then wasps living in the fender of my 70 Super Bee when I had it.

I always thought "how appropriate".

They always kept coming back.
Never bothered me but would fly at and around anyone other than me who approached the driver's door!

Interestingly I had the same thing happen 20 years later with a wasp's nest outside the back door of my office.
I could come and go as I pleased and even go out back to talk on the phone, right underneath them.
But if anyone ever tried to come up to the back door instead of the front, they would swarm!
I called them my trained attack wasps.

I had small bees and then wasps living in the fender of my 70 Super Bee when I had it.

I always thought "how appropriate".

They always kept coming back.
Never bothered me but would fly at and around anyone other than me who approached the driver's door!

Interestingly I had the same thing happen 20 years later with a wasp's nest outside the back door of my office.
I could come and go as I pleased and even go out back to talk on the phone, right underneath them.
But if anyone ever tried to come up to the back door instead of the front, they would swarm!
I called them my trained attack wasps.
I opened the passenger side door on my WIP Duster the other day. As I opened it I let go of the handle and grabbed the top near the rear edge. Almost instantly I felt pain in my right index finger and saw a swarm of wasps. Turns out that the wasps had squeezed between the door and the jamb and built a nest just below the top. I stuck my fingers in the nest when I opened the door. Man, I haven't been stung in decades!

It's that time of year. Found this in a bush earlier today. maybe 2/3 of a basketball. Almost hit it with the electric trimmer. Bald faced hornets. Still working on a plan of attack to get rid of it...
View attachment 1715370436
I can assure you that a 3.5 inch 12 gauge turkey load of #4 shot through an extra full choke is very effective on critters like this.

-
Back