Black engine bay's?

-
As I said "in their own opinion". That's yours, that's mine. If we were all the same we wouldn't need car shows. We could just look at one and be satisfied we've seen them all. There's no border on taste. IMO

Paint that engine bay the color you want it....they do look good body color but done nicely they look just fine black, go with what your wallet tells you or the amount of time you have for the project tells you, just don't leave it ugleeee and unloved........Just Sayin ;)

Be like Burger King,and HAVE IT YOUR WAY !!! Don't be afraid to "Dare To Be Different" !!!! Opinions are like azzholes,everyone has one !!!

As I said "in their own opinion". That's yours, that's mine. If we were all the same we wouldn't need car shows. We could just look at one and be satisfied we've seen them all. There's no border on taste. IMO

nice Chevy...........

Take the time to paint it body color, even if its mixed and put in a rattle can by a paint shop. It will lose its lustre over time but will still look nice as you dont need UV protection under the hood, a better solution for only a little more money is single stage acrylic enamel, it is 15X tougher than any 1k rattle can mix, as it is catalized, and will hold a beautiful shine indefinately under the hood...it is cheap and well worth the money spent imho.

Attachments

• d32.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 298
i'm only gonna put body color on cars I'm planning to sell or when I feel I gotta color i'll love forever.....I wanna change color on my duster, just a Lil' bit and the dang engine compartment is killin me!!!!!!!!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Im pretty sure mine came black. Im not sure if it was paint but it came off with gunk engine degreaser. It was over everything including wire harnesses. Got most of it off but can't get at the areas under the steering shafts.

One of the PO's did the black paint thing on my Duster. While I would prefer body color, I don't loose any sleep over it. Not real worried about "correctness" and such as I am not planning to restore my car to it's original state. Bought the car as a project for me and my kids to have fun with. And it is filling that bill nicely. If/when we pull the engine, I would take the opportunity to paint it body color. But until then screw it. Like a few other members stated, "it's your car, do what you want with it.". :cheers:

Pat

P.S. Hopefully a few purist will not "Un-Friend" me for this post! LOL!

One of the PO's did the black paint thing on my Duster.
one of my brother's barracudas came with a black engine bay also.
It also came with Wilwood disc brakes on all four corners. My bro also added a Doug Nash 5 speed. Of course, none of this is original, so it can't be as good as OEM.

:D

The OP wanted opinions, not a dozen people telling him to "do whatever he wants".

The fact is that unless there are other extenuating circumstances, a correct body color engine compartment is better for resale.

...and in my OPINION, part of the fun and "character" of Mopars is seeing that orange, turquoise, red, or blue engine next to the body color of the car.

Now...about the trunk...

It is so refreshing to see that, no matter what the demographic of the internet forum you're on is, there's still the same types of people :)

In this case I'm talking about the people who can only communicate opinions through nerd-rage.

Seriously guys. It's fine to say "I don't like how black engine bays look. It's just not how I think MOPARs should be." There's a big difference in that and "OMFG SELL YOUR MOPAR YOU CHEVY LOVING SATANIST."

I don't see where it's a big deal, dude ;) Whatever looks better to you. Though, if you're going for an "original" looking restoration, I'd keep body color.

one of my brother's barracudas came with a black engine bay also.
It also came with wilwood disc brakes on all four corners. My bro also added a doug nash 5 speed. Of course, none of this is original, so it can't be as good as oem.

:d

lol.

Unless your car is black....Black bays look like ***........Thread closed ! :D

Unless your car is black....Black bays look like ***........Thread closed ! :D
Although every one of the Rod Shop drag cars had black engine bay and door jambs. It was stated they did this to "keep a cleaner appearance, so dirt and fingerprints didn't show". Come to think of it, a lot of vintage Mopar drag cars had black engine bays. Oh, but wait, they weren't total OEM cars anymore. Ooops, I forgot.

And to the OP, remember that nothing except bias tires, drum brakes, and ignition points are acceptable. At least not on your car. No stroker motors, non-stock colors, performance tires, upgraded brakes, or "tree" air fresheners will be accepted. At least not by some people here. But then again, it is YOUR car, ain't it?

Body color. For the ones criticizing others that say body color, reread the OP. He asks specifically about it.

In all reality though it's your car, do it the way you see fit.

I painted the engine bay on one of my cars black in the 70s because the factory pretty much missed the right side of the engine bay with paint and it rusted. Battery acid had removed a bunch of the body color from the left front corner too. Since black usually covers well and can be touched up in spots and match that's what I used. I am in the process of cleaning that all up to go back with body color, which is my preference. I'm not a fan of black underhood on Mopars but in some circumstances it's a better option.

To me, body color compartments is just one of the little details that separates Mopars from the rest.

You can get good paint in spray bombs. Check "paint scratch" for touch up paint in cans. I know at least one member that used their product.

I couldn't imagine spending the time to pull stuff down and slap black paint on it...

For you guys that think it's too hard to paint... IT'S NOT! You can do a great job with a $40 paint gun and good prep work.

I prefer this look. Before and after. The inner fenders were painted black at one time.

Attachments

• engine bay 056.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 195
  • Dart 005-1.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 199
To me, body color compartments is just one of the little details that separates Mopars from the rest.

absolutely...without a doubt . when these cars were painted on the line , the entire uni-body was painted. when the inner wells were bolted in later , like the C bodies and 75+ B bodies, they were done in black.

-
Back