Black engine bay's?

-

porksoda

Reaction score
I was wondering how a black engine bay would look.
Or should I stick with the same color as the body?
I am just curious at what I should do because if I pull out my /6 to drop in my new 360 I would either like to paint it black or the color I plan to paint the car in the future.
I like black because its simple but I hear mopar people would hate me for doing a black engine bay. lol.
Is that so?
I am assuming the body matched engine bay is like a mopar thing?

Prepared to be crucified for even mentioning a non-body colored engine bay....

Yup, every Mopar uni-body that I can recall has the engine bay painted the same color as the body.

Well this is good to know then.
I am still real new to everything lol.
Glad you guys let me know before anything was done.
I guess I better hurry up and figure out what color I want to paint the car.
Thanks guys!

Painting the engine compartment black detracts from the authenticity of the car. You might end up regretting it.

Sounds like something a chevy owner would do. :D Just kidding. Many paint places can match your paint color and put it in a rattle can for you.

Paint that engine bay the color you want it....they do look good body color but done nicely they look just fine black, go with what your wallet tells you or the amount of time you have for the project tells you, just don't leave it ugleeee and unloved........Just Sayin ;)
Well this is good to know then.
I am still real new to everything lol.
Glad you guys let me know before anything was done.
I guess I better hurry up and figure out what color I want to paint the car.
Thanks guys!

personally i think a black engine bay looks like crap. but who am i to tell anyone what to do with their car.

Body color for sure...not just because they all were built that way, but because it just looks better than black.

If you paint your bay black, at least you could change the exterior paint color to how you wish and it will match then you wont have to worry about pulling the motor adding time and money. I am tired of my orange so if I want plum crazy purple it would look strange........

Seeing as how the OP seems to be asking for opinions...

...I've passed on buying cars simply because the engine bay was black instead of the correct body color.

It's a hell of a lot more work, but walking up to a nice looking car and then looking under the hood and seeing black...

Is like seeing a girl with a nice ***, and pretty hair, then when she turns around....let down on the honker, the moustache and the missing teeth.

Mine has been painted since 1977 and I never had anyone tell me I should n't have painted it that way.Its your car and do what you like.My is not not a show stopper just bad ***.

I think it comes down to what you like. The engine bay on my 74 Duster was the same blue as the rest of the car and looked great. The engine bay on my 73 Duster I did in black because the original lemon twist yellow bay looked like *** and would never stay clean enough to look good. Black is much more forgiving.

Well, leaving it black would let you swap exterior paints when you wanted without having to repaint the bay right away, every single time. It's a huge hassle. I'm painting my car black, so the bay will be black anyways. But, It's not ever going to be a show car. I know that. And so, if I decide to paint it another color, I'm probably going to leave the bay black, cause unless I'm also swapping the engine out, that just creates too much down time that I can't drive my car :)

Nope I wouldn't paint it black.
Mine was black when I bought it with sublime green exterior. I knew I was going to change it so I went ahead and bought the car.
Stuff like this is what makes a car a higher caliber of vehicle.

I painted my engine compartment black, and it looks good. I did it because I'm 15, and don't have any money at all. Now that it's done, I do regret it a little but am still happy with the outcome. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 804
  • IMG_0254.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 747
Also, I don't care if this hurts the value of the car because I'm not going to sell it for a long time if ever.

Paint it what ever color you are going to paint the body, my Barracuda had the worst grey paint job you have ever seen but when you popped the hood It was Sunfire yellow with a beautifully detailed engine and compartment. I drove it like that for several years before painting the rest of the car.

Nicely done, good Job!!! paint the car any color ya want at any time and not have to pull it all apart....I like that idea
I painted my engine compartment black, and it looks good. I did it because I'm 15, and don't have any money at all. Now that it's done, I do regret it a little but am still happy with the outcome. Hope this helps!

My engine bay is black but then my car is black , I wouldn't do it otherwise the parting lines between body and engine compartment always look akward. IMO

-
Back