blinker/fuel gauge issue??

-

twotone68

lifetime mopar man
Reaction score
I've got one for you guys. My 68 dart has stock guages. have added a electronic voltage limiter. installed a new/old fuel guage. All has been well for about 78 months. All of a sudden one night, i turned the head lights on and noticed a dull glow from my left blinker?? Then the fuel guage started traveling towards full. When the blinker would cancel the guage would go back to normal level. This has been going on for a bout 2 weeks. Now i noticed at night when the left blinker is on,there is a dull flash from under the left blinker,shining on the speedo???? This is a intermittent. Not consistant . Any ideas ????? Thanks.

These circuits can get crossed anywhere between the instrument panel and the back of the car. This could be a intermittent short circuit that existed before the mechanical limiter was replaced with solid state or a fault that was created at that time.
I probably would have a quick look at wiring harness in the trunk, connector behind left kick panel, etc.. then move on to behind the instrument panel.
Good hunting

Yes, it sounds like there is a short in the instrument area or rear harness as suggested, with higher voltage than the 5v (nominal) regulated instrument voltage getting to the fuel tank gage circuit.....although it seems this woudl likely effect the temp gage too if it were in the dash area.

IMO, you need to be jumping on this NOW! Any shorts are a BAD sign.....and can have BAD consequences if left unfixed.

The very first thing I would suspect is grounding problems right at the cluster. Do these still have two PC boards like my 67? If so, there's no reason to assume that both or either PC board is grounded.

Here's a laundry list of some of what was wrong with my 67

The harness connector pins were loose and broken at the PC board. Mine were so bad I abandoned them and soldered pigtails to the board traces, and used "Molex" style connectors

The spring contacts for the IVR were not making contact with the PC board. I soldered jumpers across

The gauge stud nuts were not making contact with the board. Loosen / tighten them several times and replace the nuts if you can

The IVR of course....replaced

The gauges themselves "might" be out of cal

And there is nothing except "accident" to insure that both PC boards are grounded to the cluster, and that the cluster is grounded. Attach a ground pigtail, and bolt to the column support.

attachment.php

attachment.php

-
Back