blinker indicator in dash

-

7dart0

Reaction score
for some reason they stay lit when i turn the parking lamps on. they do flash when i put either signal on. on the flip side the front parking lamps don't light up at all when you turn the lights on.

could this be a bad light switch or is it a grounding issue.

tom

My best guess is the Turn Signal Switch.
All of the lights (except the Headlights) go thru that switch. If the contacts / pins get messed up, all kinds of crazy stuff happens to the lights. I had a similar issue with mine.
Tried the Dorman Turn Signal Cam repair (twice) and it was junk.
Listened to the guys on here and bought a complete switch. Worked like a champ and has since.
Try searching for turn signal and you should find a great thread with pics.
Switch can be had pretty reasonable from ebay or the local MOPAR joint though they will probably have to order it.
Here, NAPA happen to have one in stock.
Good Luck, Let us know how it turns out.

The TS switch "should" have absolutely no connection to the parking circuit. And no, "all of the lights" do not go through there. Only ones that do are front and rear turn. TS lamps in rear do same job as brake so they in reality are 'not' separate.

Most logical might be something like a cross in the harness or bad TS bulb, or ground problem at cluster. First thing "I'd try" is disconnect the rear harness connector in the kick panel and see if it goes away

I see. I thought when you helped me with my TS all those lights went through it.
I am sorry for the mix-up.
But I will thank you for helping my with my TS. Been working like a champ since along with the brake lights, tail lights, front markers and the dash turn indicators.

Any time any classic, when the turn indicators in the inst' panel come on with park lamps, the fault is lack of ground at that front fixture. Park circuit seeks and finds a ground path through the 1157 bulbs turn circuit. So check and correct the ground for front park/turn fixtures at core support.
This really ought to be a sticky. I've typed it about a hunert times.

Sounds like your blinker fluid is low.

Attachments

• BLINKER FLUID.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 135
this is a little off the subject. bu i thought it was interesting. i read an aritcal in a mag years ago. by a former chrysler engineer. he said that in the early 60 the bean counters talked him in to putting only one turn light on the dash.

Sounds like a ground issue. As for the parking lights not coming on with the headlights; on some models, they don't by design. Not sure if that is the case for your car or not.

Back in the 80s, GM set their side marker up to burn with park and also blink with turn. All they did was route the current to ground path through the 194 bulb in the side marker fixture. Thus a turn indicator in the dash coming on with park lamps meant side marker bulb that side had failed.
As for Chryslers bean counters... First year of Dodge fender mounted turn signals, the indicators were still in the panel but those bulbs and sockets were omitted. Customers complaints and service techs having to install these quickly put a stop to that practice.

so on a 70 dart swinger the turn signal and parking lamp in the grill just ground through the housing correct?

does this mean i have to run a wire from the housing to the core support to pick up another ground?

tom

so on a 70 dart swinger the turn signal and parking lamp in the grill just ground through the housing correct?

does this mean i have to run a wire from the housing to the core support to pick up another ground?

tom

The front park lamp fixtures are surrounded in plastic right ? if so, There should have been a ground from those to the core support from the factory. Meaning 3 wires from each bulb socket.
Now IF... the front fixtures are metal to metal mounted like 67 Barracuda, The loss of ground in these is often the bulb base not connecting to the crusty socket its in. Or maybe the socket is loose in the pot metal housing. I saw one before with gobs of solder melted all around the bulb socket where it was factory crimped to the housing. Still little to no connection. All that was needed was to drill a tiny hole through the crimp and put a small screw through it.

Of course, there's always the name brand, if it makes you more comfortable, but it's more expensive.

Attachments

• STP BLINKER FLUID.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 85
-
Back