Blocked oil passage/high oil pressure any advice

-

360duster1973

USarmyRANGER
Reaction score
I bought my 73 duster from a knuckle head about 3 years ago hadn't noticed the oil pressure was extremely high until I installed a oil pressure gauge. Cold start it was reading about 70 psi and 65 psi at a warm idle which I knew was a red flag. I then went and replaced the easy things first the oil pump, lighter weight oil, a new oil pressure gauge, and checking the pan for clumps or debris. Lifters and crank are getting oil. After giving up for the winter I started with going back to the forums and went and bought some Marvel Mystery Oil and figured I'd give it a shot. I drained about a quart from the new oil and added the MMO. After about 2 hrs the psi dropped down to 48-50 psi.

What else can I do? Is there a stronger product I can use to help break up the blockage?

Attachments

• IMG_0721.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 409
Are you sure that the oil pressure is a problem?

I've had many engines with 65-75 psi cold and warm and some even higher. If they put the high pressure spring in there, that is normal and nothing to worry about....

My 65 Barracuda had 60-70 at idle and 85@ 3500 rpm cold. Once it warmed up it would run about 35-40 at idle and 60 at 3500, and I never had any problems for 5 years.

Not a thing wrong with that oil pressure. You did a lot of unnecessary work for absolutely no reason.

I have to agree with the above...your operating PSI is and WAS completely fine. Alot of guys try very hard to get good oil pressure. Leave it alone! It's when tolerances get sloppy, and you're running low psi that you start to worry!

Yea, that's not that high.
If it bugs you run lighter oil like a 5-20 and the Wix filter.
Flow volume is just as important as pressure for cooling the bearings anyway. :)

Yea, that's not that high.
If it bugs you run lighter oil like a 5-20 and the Wix filter.
Flow volume is just as important as pressure for cooling the bearings anyway. :)

OK, a couple of u guys mentioned running a Wix filter as a solution to the high oil press. Is there something I'm missing, how will a different filter change oil press? BTW, mine is 70-80 psi cold idle, can't have too much of a good thing!!

I ask because during hard acceleration in can jump over 100 psi. I'm wondering if it's not another issue. I was able to get it down to 40 psi with it in gear and idling and 70 psi at 2000 rpm's. What is producing that kind of pressure? 100 psi can't be good.

Your oil pressure is fine. I've had an engine run 100 psi cold and 75-80 warm. No problem....

OK, a couple of u guys mentioned running a Wix filter as a solution to the high oil press. Is there something I'm missing, how will a different filter change oil press? BTW, mine is 70-80 psi cold idle, can't have too much of a good thing!!

I'm assuming someone did their homework on filters that are more prone to not bursting with that kind of psi (stronger canister)....

I'm assuming someone did their homework on filters that are more prone to not bursting with that kind of psi (stronger canister)....

That and a less prone to self destructing filtering element.
The filter doesn't do anything to the oil pressure itself, just more trustable on flow volume.

Not telling you, as you already know all that. :)
It is for A body's question.

That and a less prone to self destructing filtering element.
The filter doesn't do anything to the oil pressure itself, just more trustable on flow volume.

Not telling you, as you already know all that. :)
It is for A body's question.

First of all, you have no idea what the clearances are. Second, you have no idea if it has half groove or full groove main bearings. Both affect pressure. You should be running a 5w40 or if the clearances are a little tighter a 5w30.

And the filter CAN and WILL affect oil pressure. Most filters DROP the oil pressure because of pressure drop across the filter.

Wix 1068 is the best case, filter element, and less prone to popping than the rest, for the money. Also it flows the best for the size filter it is. It will not drop pressure it will just be able to handle the pressure. Make sure it is a Napa gold series oil filter. Never ever run a Fram, I have built three engines because of the elements coming lose and wadding up stopping oil flow. Everyone has their own opinion, this is just my own experience talking.

Wix 1068 is the best case, filter element, and less prone to popping than the rest, for the money. Also it flows the best for the size filter it is. It will not drop pressure it will just be able to handle the pressure. Make sure it is a Napa gold series oil filter. Never ever run a Fram, I have built three engines because of the elements coming lose and wadding up stopping oil flow. Everyone has their own opinion, this is just my own experience talking.

Lol, I knew the answer to the question but I like to play Dumb, Dumb! Lol

I have built three engines because of the elements coming lose and wadding up stopping oil flow.

I blew three fresh engines with the "Fram self destruct" filters.... :banghead:

No more Fram for me.... :finga:

High oil pressure and thick oil wastes fuel and robs HP. Since bearing clearance is unknown run the engine to operating temp and drive it. 10 psi for every 1K RPM. 20 psi at idle is plenty of oil pressure. Run the thinnest oil you can to get in the range.

-
Back