Bolt pattern size, big and small?

-

ZDECKICH

Reaction score
Hello all, just got a new to my 67 Dart 270 and looking for a set of 15in steelies but i keep seeing several different bolt pattern sizes. I see some that say 5x4 and some 5x4.5 so tad confused. I wont be able to get to the car for a few days to measure it since im out of town. Any and all help is very appreciated. Thank you.

If the brakes and rear end hasn't been changed or modified yours will have the small bolt pattern wheels. 5 hole 4" bolt circle.

If the brakes and rear end hasn't been changed or modified yours will have the small bolt pattern wheels. 5 hole 4" bolt circle.
Ok great! Thank you for the help. It has some American Racing torque thrust on it now but want to get rif of those for some steelies. Thank you for the help.

I HIGHLY recommend you wait till you can measure before ordering. you never know what a PO did.

On 5 lug wheels measure from the outside of one lug to the center of lug 2 over ( the photo shows measuring a wheel but using same on lug studs work as well) the measurement will not be 4 or 4.5 exactly but it will be close enough that you will know which is which.

upload_2019-4-6_11-39-24.png

Oh and congrats on the 67 (the best year!)

If it has American racing torque thrust on it now, it has probably been changed to 5x4.5 or has adapters on it, you can't get torque thrust in 5x4 pattern to the best of my knowledge.

I HIGHLY recommend you wait till you can measure before ordering. you never know what a PO did.

On 5 lug wheels measure from the outside of one lug to the center of lug 2 over ( the photo shows measuring a wheel but using same on lug studs work as well) the measurement will not be 4 or 4.5 exactly but it will be close enough that you will know which is which.

Just my 2 cents worth ......
Center to center and add a 1/4".
Never failed me yet on "American / U.S." wheels no matter what the bolt pattern size is.
Dosen't work on Metric bolt pattern tho.
Some say Cavalier wheels will work on 4" bolt pattern but.... no.
Ok for "move around " wheels but don't try to actually drive on them.

Good thing I put the disclaimer in there. I should have known better than to spout facts without asking 20 questions and seeing photos first. :BangHead::BangHead:

If it has American racing torque thrust on it now, it has probably been changed to 5x4.5 or has adapters on it, you can't get torque thrust in 5x4 pattern to the best of my knowledge.

Just to clarify, you can actually get Torque Thrusts (and II's) in 5x4" bolt pattern, they are just hard to find. Trust me on this, because I have a set on my Dart. You can tell if they are small or large bolt pattern by looking at the center cap on the wheel. If the lug nuts are clear of the cap so that you can remove them without taking that center cap off, then the wheels are 5x4.5". If you have to remove the cap to get to the lugs, then it is 5x4". The American Racing wheels have to be custom cut for those 5x4's.

If you decide to go with another wheel style, Let me know please. I might be interested in the TQs.
Thanks Mike

Just to clarify, you can actually get Torque Thrusts (and II's) in 5x4" bolt pattern, they are just hard to find. Trust me on this, because I have a set on my Dart. You can tell if they are small or large bolt pattern by looking at the center cap on the wheel. If the lug nuts are clear of the cap so that you can remove them without taking that center cap off, then the wheels are 5x4.5". If you have to remove the cap to get to the lugs, then it is 5x4". The American Racing wheels have to be custom cut for those 5x4's.

Ok going off that then they are 5x4.5.
Thank you for the help.

You have to remove the caps on the 5x4.5's also, every time I change mine I've had to remove them.

IMG_20180808_114330.jpg

I've tried to get TQ's in 5 on 4 and they weren't available due to the center hub design. They were available in the early wheels in the late 60's and early 70's but very hard to find today.

I believe those torque thrust wheels are a later, modern era, wheel because they have the aluminum, lower profile center caps. If they are a modern era wheel they are definitely a 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern. The vintage torque thrusts used a plastic center cap with a different mounting pattern. I found out the hard way about the center caps after buying one of the aluminum ones to replace an earlier plastic version and it did not work.

You have to remove the caps on the 5x4.5's also, every time I change mine I've had to remove them.

View attachment 1715316255

It is entirely possible that I am mistaken. I also have the Torque Thrust II's on my Dart, so that could make a difference. They had to be custom cut for small bolt pattern, but with big bolt pattern the center cap didn't have to be removed. I guess I went on the flawed assumption that the center caps on the TT's and TT II's was the same.

-
Back