Bore gauge

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
So I am thinking of buying a bore gauge. I see on ebay a wide range of prices from 19.99 to 299. I am planning on building a lot of engines.

So i am really wondering if more expensive means more accurate or more brand name.

Proform from summit runs $109. And looks like a great unit.

They also have this comp cams unit. Do you guys think it's better quality or more brand name??
COMP Cams Dial Bore Gauge Combos 5605

Go with a good one like Starret, usually comes with a calibration bar/fixture

Other places to shop: McMaster-Carr, Manhattan Supply Corp

Starrett, Fowler, Mitutoyo and others

Not to be a downer, just some thing to remember; measuring tools are only as good as the person using them.....it takes practice to be good

Now for the comment that I'll catch heat for...........I wouldn't hold my hand on my *** or get all wound up just because the gauge was graduated in .001 instead of .0001, I can interpolate .0005 on a gauge........plus, you can always change the dial

Rani I'd want a good used Starrett before a Chinese import. I'd think you could find one locally, C/L etc from "some old guy" retired, etc

ProForm tools suck dead rotten elephant balls. Look for good used Starrett or other good name brands. If you can afford new, go for it.

I sold and used these for years. I would rate them in this order. Starrett, Brown and Sharpe, Mitutoyo, Fowler, Central, and the imports in that order. If you use them fairly often you will never regret spending more for better quality.

I bought a chineese one years ago and its dead accurate. If its something I use more than once every 5 years I would have spent the money on a starrett, mitutoyo or sunnen.
I guess it boils down to how often you plan on using it.

I would get a good name brand at least. You said it yourself. You're going to build a lot of engines. I don't think anyone here needs to preach to you the value of quality tools. You already know.

JEGS 81600: Dial Bore Gauge For 2" to 6" Bore up to 6" Deep | JEGS

I use this one.
You can check alignment of main caps with it as well.

wow, these things are like anything else I guess and can get as spendy as you want.

I decided to take baby steps for now and I bought this one in the quote. Thanks

I have built a number of engines before in the past but it was in automotive school using the school's shop and tools. I never paid attention what brand the school has but it seemed to always work. I don't have access to the school's shop anymore because I am long gone graduated and they have since changed staff to people I don't know. (I sure miss the hot tank)

Its not so much about the budget but more a comfort thing. I think I should get my feet wet with a lower priced unit before I start putting some big money into a unit I am not really familiar with ( might sound strange).

A higher dollar unit may be in the future because I am planning on building a lot of engines because my backyard is pretty much a mopar salvage yard now. I am mainly looking for some mega fun in building these engines and I am prepared for a lot of trial and error along the way.

Thank you so much FABO for the knowledge and help :)

Last edited:
That Jegs one is the same exact one I have but my case is black. Made in China, works ok. Throw a starrett, brown & sharpe, or any quality dial indiactor on there. Honestly, the dial that came with mine is just fine.

-
Back