Bought a 481X block from a scrap yard today

-
Know a guy that runs a local scrap yard. He’s given me a couple LA aluminum Intakes over the years plus a complete 1973 340 motor. I kept the crank, rods, and heads and got rid of the rest. Bored were tore up pretty good. When I need some iron for a project, he just gives it to me, as I bring him stuff from time to time.

Scrap yards by me wont sell a thing, they just buy scrap. There have been a few things I wanted and offered them good money for and they always say no we don't sell, it's going to get melted down.

Scrap yards by me wont sell a thing, they just buy scrap. There have been a few things I wanted and offered them good money for and they always say no we don't sell, it's going to get melted down.
On the contrary scrap yards sell everything! LOL they're not just keeping it and hoarding it for themselves and a big massive pile lol they just sell it to a bigger scrap yard...

On the contrary scrap yards sell everything! LOL they're not just keeping it and hoarding it for themselves and a big massive pile lol they just sell it to a bigger scrap yard...
Here in the PNW it goes into a shipping container straight to China. Used to sell them all the steel wheels we had because they'd take the tires too.

I guess I just figured out why there was velcro strips on the face of the block, probably to hold the glass top on it in a guys man cave. I'm looking at $2500 for used rods and mains, another $5K for a crank. Yikes. This is for an engine that doesn't have coolant jackets. I'm in over my head.

So is there any obvious damage to it?

So is there any obvious damage to it?
No, none that I can see,
I am not familiar with 5000 hp engine blocks, why there is a 1/8" space between the pistons and cylinder walls is hard for me to comprehend. Are they set up so loose?

No, none that I can see,
I am not familiar with 5000 hp engine blocks, why there is a 1/8" space between the pistons and cylinder walls is hard for me to comprehend. Are they set up so loose?

If it's that much, they're the wrong pistons. Someone probably just threw them in there.

No, none that I can see,

There is a liner missing.

How much? Sounds like you need rescued from that scrap idol you've scored there...

-
Back