Bought an antique tractor last week, anyone like em?

-
Nick with his 60 JD , wheels up , he also has 1951 FORD 8n with hi,lo transmission

DSC00204.jpg

That's a dandy Oliver you have there Dericks. It was built in Charles City, Iowa
less than an hour drive from me. I live in Waterloo where the John Deere's were built. Lots of Ag history around here. I loved the Olivers because of their 6 cylinder sound and the sleek bodies with all the sheet metal. toolman

Does this count? :toothy5:

Attachments

• 5O55U55X43n73k53mbbbrf5352f3a84381edb.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 5Q45P15X53m93p23l4bbr254661cbc5bd17d0.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 157

!!! FAIL !!!! (me, I mean)

Here was my attempt. Took a garden tractor, mounted a used blower on the back--it was the wrong model, parts missing and hacked, and impossible to effectively adapt to the front--so I hung it off the back with a 10hp tiller engine.

Turned out that a 10 hp engine IS NOT ENOUGH to run one of these old single stage blowers

2nicniu.jpg

So not long after that mess failed, I found a GOOD buy on this old rig. I think I paid 175, it needed a U joint for the blower. I still have it and use it --when we have snow. The Ariens blower off to the side is gone. Too much for me to hang onto, anymore.

i4jvbt.jpg

This is an optical copy of an old slide, of a Case my Dad and I brought back back in the late 70's. It had sat for YEARS, probably 30 or more that we know of. Pulled the head and it had UNDAMAGED new sleeves in, "did" the valves, got a mag, and found !!! a NEW carb off a '28? Chev. Ran good

1izytg.jpg

That Farmall M sure brings back memories! When I was living at home, we had a 1953 MTA. It was our "big" tractor. We farmed 260 acres with the M and a 1948 Ferguson 30. I think it is the only year they made them with the torque amplifier. They were extremely unreliable. Ours broke twice before we done away with it altogether. It was said they only came two ways, brand new, and broke! Ours had the wide front end like the one you have. You don't see them very often.

That Farmall M sure brings back memories! When I was living at home, we had a 1953 MTA. It was our "big" tractor. We farmed 260 acres with the M and a 1948 Ferguson 30. I think it is the only year they made them with the torque amplifier. They were extremely unreliable. Ours broke twice before we done away with it altogether. It was said they only came two ways, brand new, and broke! Ours had the wide front end like the one you have. You don't see them very often.

And the IH dealers are still rebuilding TA's. Good idea....bad design. All it is is a planetary gearset. Extra gears in a tranny does the same thing.

Great tractors a lot of which I grew up with.Y'all brought back some great memories.

!!! FAIL !!!! (me, I mean)

Here was my attempt. Took a garden tractor, mounted a used blower on the back--it was the wrong model, parts missing and hacked, and impossible to effectively adapt to the front--so I hung it off the back with a 10hp tiller engine.

Turned out that a 10 hp engine IS NOT ENOUGH to run one of these old single stage blowers

2nicniu.jpg

So not long after that mess failed, I found a GOOD buy on this old rig. I think I paid 175, it needed a U joint for the blower. I still have it and use it --when we have snow. The Ariens blower off to the side is gone. Too much for me to hang onto, anymore.

i4jvbt.jpg

This is an optical copy of an old slide, of a Case my Dad and I brought back back in the late 70's. It had sat for YEARS, probably 30 or more that we know of. Pulled the head and it had UNDAMAGED new sleeves in, "did" the valves, got a mag, and found !!! a NEW carb off a '28? Chev. Ran good

1izytg.jpg

Nice! Those blower attachments are big bucks. Even the plow on mine go for 200 bucks used. I have a whole 12.5 hp, I need to get a pic with the chains.. It did great even with 12" of fairly wet snow but I did use the "Damn the Torpedes, Full Speed Ahead!" tactic.

Yep, epic fail compared to these true tractors. :prayer:

I like them, but don't know much about them. My uncle has a really nice Ford tractor...40's or 50's I think. Gray and red like a couple of the others posted on here.

we still have the 1957 Oliver super 77 row crop.
super smooth inline 6 that my grandfather bought bought brand new. Headed into the third owner but still on the same dirt it first set its plow into way back then.

I like them, but don't know much about them. My uncle has a really nice Ford tractor...40's or 50's I think. Gray and red like a couple of the others posted on here.

Don't recall any Fords with that color scheme. Maybe it was a Massey Harris or a Ferguson?

Keep the tractor **** coming! I love this thread. :-D

Love your antique tractors.
My son-in laws family has four Case dealerships, they have about thirty old tractors starting from the Cub going up to some real old steel wheeled beauties.
The only old tractor I have is a 1947 Gibson I found last year, and my Dads 1975 1370 White.

Kenny

That's ace!
If I was you I would have strapped the snow blower to the front of the blade
and have the wife sit on the hood to run it. LOL
I do watch the Red Green show.

Kenny

Years ago the Oliver super 88 was the tractor to beat at the tractor pull. Back when it was just local framers pulling field tractors nothing like the iron today.

Don't recall any Fords with that color scheme. Maybe it was a Massey Harris or a Ferguson?

Keep the tractor **** coming! I love this thread. :-D

Lots of fords had that color scheme, 8n's from 48 to 52, NAA/Jubilee 53 and 54, the hundred series from 54-57 and at least the 801 powermaster of the 01 series 58 -62.

That's ace!
If I was you I would have strapped the snow blower to the front of the blade
and have the wife sit on the hood to run it. LOL
I do watch the Red Green show.

Kenny

:D A buddy of mine was going to photoshop some zoomies and a blower on it last night but he went to the bar instead. BTW, Red Green cracks me up.

Edit: Damn it! Now you and 273dart got me thinking....."... if I could find a cheap 5hp two stage walk behind blower, maybe I could rig it to the front... I have a mig welder...hmmmmm."

Bought a 1949 8N with a Dearborn front loader last summer - best $1500 I ever spent. Picked up a Henry backhoe attachment from a cemetery 8N in New York - it had a 3' bucket for cutting graves in one pass. I thought my wife was gonna get someone to use it to bury me when I hauled it home. She said she thought the tractor was a rusty piece of crap, but the backhoe took the prize. I have since replaced all the hoses on it and am ready to hang it and try it out! Paid $500 plus put about $350 in it. So I have a loader and backhoe for $2350 - beats 17 to 20 grand for a Kabota!!! Plus - when I'm done working it - I'll paint it all up and add it to my 3 A-Bodies and 95 BMW M3 Antique/Classic collection!

you and 273dart got me thinking....."... if I could find a cheap 5hp two stage walk behind blower, maybe I could rig it to the front... I have a mig welder...hmmmmm."

That's not a bad idea, but I'd buy at LEAST an 8hp. I would think if you look around you might find one used that has the "right problem" IE just right would be a problem in the wheels drive gearbox, etc.

Pic of my 53 super M. Still a working tractor, mowing, and clearing snow.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 94
-
Back