Brake Boosters getting scarce?

-

TripleJackInGA

Master of None
Reaction score
I just picked up a 72 Dart Custom 4-Door, 225/auto with front disks. The brake booster is without a doubt bad.
In trying to find another one, neither Advance, NAPA, Oreilley's, or Autozone can get one.
They all list a 50-6206 from Cardone or comparable from Wagner, but after checking with both, neither had any at the factory.

So where the heck do I get one? I drive the car daily, so I can't yank it off, send it out to be rebuilt, and wait on it.

It was bad enough that the pricing I was seeing was $110-$150, because they will only sell it with the master cylinder, but it seems like I can't get one at all now.

Ideas?

3xJack -

Another way of looking at this is to question whether or not you really want to use the old style booster, or instead replace it with a newer style model. There's a super cool guy here in Portland that rebuilds boosters. The name of the place is Booster Dewey, with a website here:

http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/

He rebuilt my original booster a couple of years back for a very reasonable fee. He cautioned me that the older Chrysler rebuilt boosters aren't his favorite for two reasons:

(1) It has just a single diaphragm.
(2) The mechanism that seals the diaphragm is a rigid (ceramic?) piece that has a tendency to crack and fail with age. Even though replacements are possible to find, it really isn't the most reliable design.

Sure enough, a year later that same piece failed on my booster. Not suddenly in traffic, but slowly and surely. Its no secret that I absolutely dislike the single, cost-cutting, stock brake fluid reservoir. I now also dislike the original booster. Luckily I found a generic retrofit here that works perfectly well:

http://www.performanceonline.com/19...OUTH-CAR-POWER-BRAKE-BOOSTER-KIT-19530/?page=

Its lighter, its dual-diaphragm, and it gives you the use of a modern two-bolt master cylinder found on Dodge or Ford pickups.

At first I was worried that because it sticks out a ways from the firewall that the exhaust manifold would cook the fluid in the master cylinder. I've used heat wrap material on and off and it never made any difference, so I think the cooling is adequate.

I know that many here don't think our cars need power brakes, and very often these discussions turn into the null-orthodox response of, "get rid of it and go to manual brakes." That's not terribly helpful in my opinion. I have power brakes and I love it.

If you also have power steering you might also consider going with hydroboost, but its quite costly.

-m.

3xJack -

Another way of looking at this is to question whether or not you really want to use the old style booster, or instead replace it with a newer style model. There's a super cool guy here in Portland that rebuilds boosters. The name of the place is Booster Dewey, with a website here:

http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/

He rebuilt my original booster a couple of years back for a very reasonable fee. He cautioned me that the older Chrysler rebuilt boosters aren't his favorite for two reasons:

(1) It has just a single diaphragm.
(2) The mechanism that seals the diaphragm is a rigid (ceramic?) piece that has a tendency to crack and fail with age. Even though replacements are possible to find, it really isn't the most reliable design.

Sure enough, a year later that same piece failed on my booster. Not suddenly in traffic, but slowly and surely. Its no secret that I absolutely dislike the single, cost-cutting, stock brake fluid reservoir. I now also dislike the original booster. Luckily I found a generic retrofit here that works perfectly well:

http://www.performanceonline.com/19...OUTH-CAR-POWER-BRAKE-BOOSTER-KIT-19530/?page=

Its lighter, its dual-diaphragm, and it gives you the use of a modern two-bolt master cylinder found on Dodge or Ford pickups.

At first I was worried that because it sticks out a ways from the firewall that the exhaust manifold would cook the fluid in the master cylinder. I've used heat wrap material on and off and it never made any difference, so I think the cooling is adequate.

I know that many here don't think our cars need power brakes, and very often these discussions turn into the null-orthodox response of, "get rid of it and go to manual brakes." That's not terribly helpful in my opinion. I have power brakes and I love it.

If you also have power steering you might also consider going with hydroboost, but its quite costly.

-m.

if you go hydroboost a cost effective way of doing it is finding a diesel chebby/fard as most of them use hydroboost, thats what I did. I used a 1994 3/4 ton chev diesel hydroboost system ($25) and made my own lines ($20) and had a brake rod machined in order to use a dodge master cylinder ($20) way better brakes then manual or vacuum boost; before this I was condsidering a disc swap but I don't think I will now

if you go hydroboost a cost effective way of doing it is finding a diesel chebby/fard as most of them use hydroboost, thats what I did. I used a 1994 3/4 ton chev diesel hydroboost system ($25) and made my own lines ($20) and had a brake rod machined in order to use a dodge master cylinder ($20) way better brakes then manual or vacuum boost; before this I was condsidering a disc swap but I don't think I will now

Wow, really good info people! I like it!

nope toyotas been doin it for quite awhile

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMawQjifAKg&feature=related"]YouTube - Supra pull 60-130 brake boosting[/ame]

sorry i couldnt resist LOL

I've wanted to do this for a while. My '91 Suburban (Diesel) has hydroboost and I covet the system. What I don't see how to do is to mount the thing to my Barracuda. Do you have pics or ideas? If so, let's start another thread because I don't want to hijack this one.

-m.

Here's another vote for Booster Dewey. He does good, fast, nice work. I don't like hydroboost.
(Also, Cardone's stuff is garbage)

I've wanted to do this for a while. My '91 Suburban (Diesel) has hydroboost and I covet the system. What I don't see how to do is to mount the thing to my Barracuda. Do you have pics or ideas? If so, let's start another thread because I don't want to hijack this one.

-m.

I dont have pictures but I can start a thread for it

Hydroboost is very effective, and they used it on a lot of GM trucks, but it can also fail. I have a buddy with an 84 6.2 4x4, and his failed last week.
I guess everything can and will fail at some point, but ya know.

This car has front disks with power, while my 65 has 4 wheel drum non-power. I don't mind non-power brakes, but as most of us know, a power-brake system, where the booster has failed, is 10-times harder to use than just a non-power brake system.

I looked at Dewey's site, and while it seems like a good way to go, it also means the car is down for several days, as I'd have to remove the unit, ship it from Atlanta to Portland, then back again, and install. This is my only driver right now.
As for POL, looks nice, but it's also $279. Even though it includes a new master cylinder, a reman master cylinder costs less than $20.
Am I trying to be cheap? Yes & no. I've been out of work since mid-October, so right now I'm looking to spend smart. I'll do things correctly, but I simply can't afford to shoot for the moon on replacement parts, and like I said, this is my only car right now.

I did get a lead on a place in Atlanta called Brake Specialty, so I'll call them on Monday and see what they can do. My brother said when he worked in maintenance for Coke, they used to do all of their boosters, and they did a good job.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Hmm bought mine at advance for my Dart Sport no problem.

Well, not sure how long ago, or if your setup means you have a different booster or what, but they could not get it. They listed it, and so did every other place, but when they called to check availability at the DC, and at the manufacturer, it was not available.

auto zone last week 118 with me not having a core and it came with a master
ill give u all the numbers on my recipe

50-3714
one of those should get you where u need to be

auto zone last week 118 with me not having a core and it came with a master
ill give u all the numbers on my recipe

50-3714
one of those should get you where u need to be

If you compare the specs on the 50-3714 that you got, and the 50-6206 that I need, yours is flatter, but bigger diameter. Mine is deeper, but smaller diameter. not sure if that would fit or not, but it's worth looking into.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...E4&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=20690061#fragment-2

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...UE4&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=3822028#fragment-2

yes will fit the small one is like 69 and back other one is like 74 and up only reason for the small one you had was they could fit a big block in there with it other then that part number i gave you is your best route and its oem so it will go right in

So I placed an order for the 50-3714. I got an email the next day that it was cancelled, with no reason. I call, and of course, it's not available.
I'm ordering a 50-6101, which is supposedly in stock, and Cardone's website shows this as being for 73-75 A-bodies with disk brakes.
Crossing my fingers this time....

Will the 50-6101 work on a 71 dart with 4 drums? The rod on the 6206 looks different than the 6101.

Attachments

• untitledyhtdj.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 537
  • untitledhgtrdh.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 550
just google the "ram man" out if texas, I belive......he rebuilds boosters and usally has plenty of them ready to go.

Lots of info back and forth here. Subscribed because I may get the power brake booster re-built on my 65.

Oldmanmopar beat me to it. What's power brakes? I used power on my 69 C10 but that was a huge big block beast. Just takes up more space in the engine compartment is what I say! :grin:

I put a booster and MC from a 95 Breeze on Dart stand-off brackets. Cost ~$20 at junkyard. I installed an adjustable prop valve ($28 ebay) for later front disk brakes.

Attachments

• master cylinder & booster.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 486
Some very innovative solutions here! Hotrodding at it's best guys. Keep it coming,because Im learnin!

I put a booster and MC from a 95 Breeze on Dart stand-off brackets. Cost ~$20 at junkyard. I installed an adjustable prop valve ($28 ebay) for later front disk brakes.

Can I use this with front and rear drums just by not using the prop valve, and did you have to modify rod to hookup linkage at standoff bracket?

-
Back