Brake drum

-

ptbill

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the spring is for that goes around the outside of the drum? I only have it on one drum

20230407_143448.jpg

20230407_143448.jpg

I think it is there for vibration & chatter reduction. The factory used them on some cars.

I have seen them on other brands too

Most likely a bendix thing

Anti chatter, anti "ring." I've turned thousands of drums and rotors in my lifetime. You must use a "chatter strap", a soft rubber strap, often with lead weights, to dampen "ring" and chatter. It is self perpetuating. The tool will get "waves" going, and it just gets louder and deeper, if not mitigated.

Anti chatter, anti "ring." I've turned thousands of drums and rotors in my lifetime. You must use a "chatter strap", a soft rubber strap, often with lead weights, to dampen "ring" and chatter. It is self perpetuating. The tool will get "waves" going, and it just gets louder and deeper, if not mitigated.
So do I need it?

The older mopars used to screech like hell coming to a stop, because of "hard linings".
Springs were to dampen vibration .
I have experienced, and read about.
Springs were to try and stop it.
Seemed to work .
No harm keeping them .

The older mopars used to screech like hell braking, because of "hard linings".
Springs were to dampen vibration .
I have experienced, and read about.
Springs were to try and stop it.
Seemed to work .
No harm keeping them .
Yeah, I'm going to

Keep in mind that designers/ engineers/ bean counters did not put ANYTHING on a vehicle that was not needed
Don’t say that! You will start an argument about block to transmission braces and the dampers on transmission tail stocks……

A body 9'' drums were notorious for squillin' brakes.We installed springs on cars that didn't have them at the dealership.
Some helped, some didn't. Man I'm old..

A body 9'' drums were notorious for squillin' brakes.We installed springs on cars that didn't have them at the dealership.
Some helped, some didn't. Man I'm old..
Thanks. I'm leaving it on and I'm old too

Much discussed and all good/reasonable answers. Also would help a little in rejecting heat. Nobody mentioned that there are also drums with outer radial ribs, probably for stiffness to similarly reduce ringing, and should also aid in cooling. Couldn't add a spring to those since it would slide off the tapered ribs.

Can someone tell me what the spring is for that goes around the outside of the drum? I only have it on one drum

View attachment 1716074570

View attachment 1716074572
The spring is to reduce drum harmonics. If you've ever rubbed a wet finger around the rim of a crystal wine glass, you'll know what I mean. When you turn a drum on a brake lathe, you need to add a dampening belt for the same reason. Once the harmonics start, they get worse if they're not dampened, and they result in vibration and reduced braking performance (not to mention the noise). Steel drums seemed to have more of a problem with that than the cast iron drums. Most aftermarket drums don't have the groove for the spring and don't seem to have the problem, so, don't transfer the spring over to them as they may not stay where they should.

-
Back