Brake Push Rod Spring

-

Rustyfish

Reaction score
Just how important is the push rod spring to the function of the brake pedal and system. Mine is broken. Not sure I could find one around here and I don't think they can be found new. Seems like it's main purpose is the keep the pedal from actuating the brake light switch. It would be nice the find some kind of replacement. Anyone have any ideas on that? The one I need is on the far right in the diagram.
IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

If you look at the later cars ('69 for example) they seem to have eliminated both the boot and spring. It doesn't seem like they really do much.

Yeah I suppose the pressure from the master cylinder pushes in that direction anyway.

Thanks Boys!

They are not needed when using the dual piston master cylinder. If you are using a single piston style you are a brave man.

I just did this, last week. Couldn't keep the brake light out every time. 64 Valiant with a 68 dual MC. I had some springs on hand that I used for valve checking, and just shortened one a little, and it seems to work fine.

They are not needed when using the dual piston master cylinder. If you are using a single piston style you are a brave man.
Already have the dual for the upgrade and have a complete new set of lines from In Line Tube. Brakes have all been gone through with new hardware. Pads and drums looked pretty good. Have all I need except In Line didn't send the correct front hoses for the 9". Those will arrive soon and then I can make this thing stop. Fingers crossed. Part of my get Running and Driving thread.

-
Back