Brake Shoes

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
On a Formula S 10 in. brake shoes would the brake shoes be smooth or have an indention down the center. The drum has a raised place in the center that is equally centered. The parts store said the drums should be turned smooth and the shoes should be smooth.
If these shoes are worn like this they are really worn equally on both shoes.
Thanks for your help. As of now I am on hold. I am not going to put the brakes together until I know for sure.

I'm with the parts store on this one, I've changed a lot of shoes over the last 35 years and have never seen a drum with a raised portion in the center.

I could be wrong, it's happened before, LOL.

I have literally turned thousands of drums in the 15 or so years I sold parts. I have NEVER seen a drum with a raised center. ALL drums should form a perfect cylinder from inside to out.

Thanks Guys, I just wanted to make sure

You'll probably find that linning rivets wore the drums out everywhere except the center sometime in the past. IDont be surprised if you have to buy new drums. Good luck

..............They sure can have the indent...........i've seen a few...abouy 1/2in to 3/4 in wide....u still need to turn ur drums or replace them to work right.........for as small as those shoes are, i dont know there reasoning............kim.........

On a Formula S 10 in. brake shoes would the brake shoes be smooth or have an indention down the center. The drum has a raised place in the center that is equally centered. The parts store said the drums should be turned smooth and the shoes should be smooth.
If these shoes are worn like this they are really worn equally on both shoes.
Thanks for your help. As of now I am on hold. I am not going to put the brakes together until I know for sure.

I have never seen that on a 10 inch a body drum and I have used NOS Mopar drums recently. I can't recall seeing it on any new drum. I think it would be pretty hard to turn leaving the raise in the drum. Every machine I have seen turns the drum equally all the way across. If memory serves me correct I recall seeing some brake shoes with a groove near the center of the lining. If I am recalling right this would wear the pattern in the drum over time.
!ByB(sKg!2k~$(KGrHqV,!icEw5U5C,gNBMP80Lf3Og~~_12.JPG

I have never seen that on a 10 inch a body drum and I have used NOS Mopar drums recently. I can't recall seeing it on any new drum. I think it would be pretty hard to turn leaving the raise in the drum. Every machine I have seen turns the drum equally all the way across. If memory serves me correct I recall seeing some brake shoes with a groove near the center of the lining. If I am recalling right this would wear the pattern in the drum over time.
Thats a new one for me. I know the groove was meant for venting/cooling the asbestos linings and failing adhesive at extreme temps may have played a role but still,
flawed engineering in my opinion.

The pictures are exactly what mine look like. The pads have plenty of wear left and the only reason I was going to replace the pads was I had a wheel cylinder bad on one side and a wheel seal on the other. As I am trying to restore this 65, I am trying to take care of any problem as I get to it.
The groove measures exactly in the center of each pad.
Now do I replace them with smooth pads or keep looking?

Turn drums .Either pad will work. Vent groove in pads is unnessasary.Or is this a 100 point drums off show car resto?

Thanks, no, not a true show car. It will make some local shows and maybe The Rock. Mostly I just want a driver that me and my 2 teen sons can have fun with. One of them has some 60's songs on his i-pod for me. He just can't quite figure how that works with the AM radio.lol

................ replace the pads....................

Just to be correct, those are not "pads." They are shoes and "lining", as in "brake shoe lining"

If you ask for "rear pads" instead of "rear brake shoes" at the parts store, they are going to tell you "we don't list those"

I agree that if they are giving trouble, replace the shoes and have the drums turned.

Hey, I've been working on my wife's Jag where I backed into it with the Fish. I'm still looking for the bonnet. lol

Thats a new one for me. I know the groove was meant for venting/cooling the asbestos linings and failing adhesive at extreme temps may have played a role but still,
flawed engineering in my opinion.

Again if I am recalling correctly, I remember the grove was originally done so if you drove through water it would have an area for the water to escape quicker resulting in better braking.

The groove in the lining is designed to cool the pads. Obviously brakes cause wear, as that is how friction material works. As the drum wears, it will only wear where there is contact, thus the raised ridge in your drum. This means nothing. You turn them smooth again. And as they wear with more miles, the ridge will raise again. Not a big deal, just normal wear. I have seen thousands of cars like that. I am not convinced the groove does anything, but then I haven't spent tons of money on research and development.

I guess I was just surprised to see them in a 65 Barracuda Formula S. I had a Boss 429 Mustang in 69 and I know it was like that. It doesn't seem anyone offers the grooved replacements so I guess I will have to buy the smooth ones and replace the drums.

I guess I was just surprised to see them in a 65 Barracuda Formula S. I had a Boss 429 Mustang in 69 and I know it was like that. It doesn't seem anyone offers the grooved replacements so I guess I will have to buy the smooth ones and replace the drums.

To my knowledge the groove was a Ford thing and some of the remanufactures picked it up. I haven't seen it done for many many years on new parts. It went obsolete quickly.

.................................................................................................
Maybe Ford started it but Mopar picked up on it too. Here's a set of 10 X 1 3/4" shoes right out of the Mopar box.

Attachments

• 100_0893.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 151
Thank you for showing me those. I don't know if it would really make a lot of difference or not, going to the smooth ones. That seems to be all I can find so I guess smooth it will have to be.

-
Back