Brazilian Dodge Dart 76 (similar to 69 usa)

-
Hi, the magnum is running on natural gas.. but.. I will remove it as son as possible...

I will list the strength and the weakness

strength: economy... I spent 50% less money during my last trip.

The natural gas costs about 1,90 Brazilian money (reais).. the gas costs about 2,80. Car is consuming 1 m3 of gas to run 10km.

In countries as US, where gas is cheap, I think that use natural gas is a complete waist of time (and money)

weakness:

the car became weak...
the muffler sound looks like an old man farting
car truck is now useless as the gas cylinders are huge
engine bay has a ugly part that controls the natural gas.
every year we have to go to an inspection.. thus, we spend money and time
Some friends told me that headers heats a lot when using natural gas

well, I'm not a big fan of natural gas..

Actually some people are starting to prefer NG in the states because it is cheaper and it's burns cleaner in the engine. It's easier on the engine so you don't need to do oil changes or routine maintenance as often. Generally, what I've seen, horsepower is just about the same. I test drove a 2013 Natural Gas Honda Civic and you couldn't tell the difference between that and the same engined Honda Civic gasoline car. The main difference between a gasoline engine and a natural gas engine is I believe you need hardened pistons and valves as well as a different injection system (don't quote me on that, but I'm 90% sure). But I'd agree that doing an inspection every year would get annoying as well as having a cluttered engine bay. I'm not sure about the muffler sound (could be a cheap muffler) but I do believe the headers would be warmer than the gasoline engine. Good luck on your build!

Hi MuuuMuu.. I believe that a new car, designed to work with NG would have the same performance as a gas car. The problem is that our dodges were desiged to work with gas. Moreover, nowadays we have electronic fuel injection system. This makes a huge difference.
The muffler sounds (like fart) occurs due the NG kit. The NG kit pulses the gas trough the engine.. we rear a muffler sound like a toc toc toc toc (farting).
A friend has a modern car with NG and he said the he does not feel any loss on horse power. His car is a GM 2.0 Vectra

just showing the gas cylinders of my new car

Resize%2520of%2520DSC03832.JPG

Hi MuuuMuu.. I believe that a new car, designed to work with NG would have the same performance as a gas car. The problem is that our dodges were desiged to work with gas. Moreover, nowadays we have electronic fuel injection system. This makes a huge difference.
The muffler sounds (like fart) occurs due the NG kit. The NG kit pulses the gas trough the engine.. we rear a muffler sound like a toc toc toc toc (farting).
A friend has a modern car with NG and he said the he does not feel any loss on horse power. His car is a GM 2.0 Vectra

Ah, that makes much more sense now. Yes, the Honda Civic is a factory NGV. I thought your Dodge was some special Brazilian NG setup from the factory, but from what I've heard from the NGV guy at my work is that those conversions, if not executed properly, don't workout well on cars at all. Especially if you don't get those forged parts, the engine probably won't last long (~30-50k).

after a long time.. I bought new tires. Hope to have the painting job done until the spring beginning.

DSC05969.JPG

Hello, my friends!
Mr Borges offered me his car...Do You think i should buy it?lol!
I´m from Brasil too, sold mine one year ago, and i´m thinking about buying another Dodge...
Greetings!

Nice job! Looks that the engine came from the bottom of the sea =)

Hopping to finish my project soon also, were are you from in BR.?

Hi, I'm living in Minas Gerais (Juiz de Fora).

don't know why I enjoy suffering with this car.

Hi, I'm living in Minas Gerais (Juiz de Fora).

don't know why I enjoy suffering with this car.

Sometimes i ask myself the same Lol

I were in your town few years ago, a very nice city, my dart came from MG also. I think that is the state with the bigger dodges per habitant number in BR.

Good luck with your car, hope to see it back to the streets soon!

Hi,
1st. remove damper pulley screw washer. Put this big screw again in the same place.
2nd. install the drilled plate as show in pictures. I installed the side screws first. After that, I installed the center screw. I used a nut to hold it in place.
3rd. The main idea is, when you tighten this center screw, it will push the original pulley middle screw. As consequence, pulley will come out the engine.
You can also tight both side screws alternately (as I did).

Later I post the tool I made to install bushings. It is easy to reproduce. Basically it is a small piece of tube and a long screw (and some washers)

Next step: free the stuck engine!

don't know yeat what to do... tomorrow I will try a bit more

do you guys got marvel mystery oil or dry ice?

I'm using WD40 and diesel do clean up everything.
I've never heard about anything like "marvel mystery oil" in Brazil. The penetration oil most common here is WD40 and similar products.

A friend told me that acetone is the best penetration liquid he knows.

Yesterday I tried to search the "dry ice" approach on google. Didn't find.
How do you use dry ice? direct on top of pistons?

I think that as soon as I clean the engine, it will run smooth

-
Back