Brazil's rare barn find !

-
Wow!! Those are some great historical Mopars you got there!!! Very Cool! I noticed the master cylinder on the Dart has a rather large looking cap on the cover of the cylinder. Different from the ones in the states. Those vehicles are museum quality for sure and the fact that you have all the history on them makes them even more rare. I am jealous! What a great thread. Please post more pics as you uncover these and get them running and cleaned up. Thanks for the great pics. Beautiful cars.

Hi, Dustermaniac !!

Yes, our brazilian Dart brakes are rather different from the original US models, and I heard a story from one of the engineers responsible in that area in those days, he said that it was necessary to improve all brake system using the Simca Esplanada previous model, and that's why even our wheels has different offsets too !!
We use larger & bigger brake drums and master cylinders...In the 1969 thru 1971 all models used drums in all wheels, and after that it was possible to have the car with the P/B system and front discs as an option till 1973 and mandatory from that year on, all developed for our local market because of the speed that the Dart could reach the Chrysler engineering decided to make more improvements on that matter....
Just try to figure out that th A-bodies were the sole option for Chrysler in our country, so the responsability was very high at those times...These Darts were very far away from the local competition back in the Seventies !!
Sure I'll share & post more pics & info about these great barn finds here, my friend !!
Thanks for all the kind words and let's keep up the funtastic work !!

Thanks for your reply. I'm very interested in your friend's collection. It makes for great reading and the pics of your countries Mopars are very refreshing. I'm glad you found this site and posted the pics and comments. Please post as many as you can. Mike

Thanks Mike, it's always a huge pleasure to share so many good cars & experiencies about our beloved A-bodies here, there & everywhere, LOL !!!
:toothy10:

Those engine pics are interesting, more please! It looks like they used the older style valve covers and 69-older radiator, water pump, fan and pullies. I bet a lot of older, left-over out-dated parts were sent over by Chrysler to use on these cars. Also, is that a heat shield on the driver side exhaust manifold?

Yep, looking some 318 V8 older pictures I can figure out what Chrysler had at those times and they decided to use all they could get to make these Darts running good...And yes, there is a heat shield used on the drivers-side exhaust manifold, I've only seen these on the early production cars, maybe from 1969 through 1972/73, not sure about that.
I'll take more pics on this Dart engine bay for you to see the differencies, okay ??

WOW, again! What a time capsule. Can't wait to see your pics of the R/T , and his 71 coupe. Are the amber foglights behind the grille standard?

No, the amber foglights behind the grille were a dealer installed option.

Here are more pics on this magnificent 1971 Dart Coupé that's a quite a daily driver for Mr. Michel, one of the first early production cars we've had the lucky to found, and this one stays in the family for more than thirty years in a row (sorry about the quality on these images, they were captured by a cell phone):

27022010009.jpg

27022010008g.jpg

27022010003.jpg

27022010011.jpg

27022010005.jpg

27022010007a.jpg

Now the engine bay (very similar to the 1970 green Dart Sedan):

27022010019n.jpg

27022010020mf.jpg

27022010023.jpg

Here's the only identification tag that was used on the Darts, from 1969 till 1981, at the end of production:

27022010021.jpg

Now some pics on the Dart's interior, remembering that the sport steering wheel, bucket seats, air conditioning, 4-speed shifter on the floor, console & stereo sound equipment were all dealer's aftermarket installed options (not original)

27022010018.jpg

27022010017.jpg

27022010016.jpg

Now a close look to the Rally dash, this is original but the tachometer on the center pod was an extra option:

27022010012.jpg

27022010013.jpg

27022010015.jpg

And here's another local Chrysler production: a Dodge 1800 dubbed "Polara", based on the Hillman Avenger / Plymouth Cricket cars, this one belongs to Mr. Michel and it's all original, a 1976 model also on metallic green colour. Mr. Michel has got another five cars like these, from the first 1973 model to the last, built in 1981:

27022010002a.jpg

And finally, here's our 86 year old Mr. Michel sitting behind our pride & Joy, the 1979 Dart Coupé, this car was mantained all these years with his care, knowledge and original parts...

1002691u.jpg

1002693.jpg

Was the 4-speed transmission a Chrysler part, and were the hood pins a factory option or dealer installed on the 71? I would love to see some close up pics of those chrome magnum rims, and the rallye/hub caps on the other 77 :toothy10: Be sure to tell your friends "thank you" for letting us view their beautiful cars! :cheers:

I just noticed the wide drip rail moulding over the side windows, is that a aftermarket part or part of the body?

Was the 4-speed transmission a Chrysler part, and were the hood pins a factory option or dealer installed on the 71? I would love to see some close up pics of those chrome magnum rims, and the rallye/hub caps on the other 77 :toothy10: Be sure to tell your friends "thank you" for letting us view their beautiful cars! :cheers:

I just noticed the wide drip rail moulding over the side windows, is that a aftermarket part or part of the body?

Well, in fact the four-speed transmission was a factory option offer for Darts only by the end of 1975. This one was made and assembled locally by ZF Transmissions, and was a regular option only in the Charger R/T models.
You could order this, and the hood pins just after 1971 in selected dealers across our country.
About the hood pins, it's very interesting: they were factory installed only in the 1972 Charger R/T models, never offered before & after...Don't know the reason why !
This wide drip rail moulding is an aftermarket accessory very common on brazilian cars at those days, and they were used mainly on non A/C models to prevent moisture on the windows by leaving them about two fingers opened to get more fresh air in the raining days without getting the interior all wet...

About the rally wheels, in the Charger pics they are exactly the same as my car uses today, with a metal hubcap offered on the SE package (non -original to the Charger R/T), here's the example:

1002532.jpg

And this is a sample on how the car came from factory (the whitewall tire wasn't original)

rodadart.jpg

Now an official picture on the 1976 Dodge Charger R/T model, just like our friend's:

rt76recuperada.jpg

Another option that came only in the 1973 till 1978 Darts was this original smaller chromed hubcap fixed on the rally wheels, notice that the hole vents on these wheels are different from the ovalized models:

rodadart73.jpg

About the "Magnum 500" wheels: they were a factory option on the Charger R/T from 1971 until 1973, but proved to be very popular on the aftermarket parts too, lots of Dodges used them too...All chromed steel, you could have these either on black or chromed rings only in 1971, and smaller vent holes by 72 and so on...

rt72vsrt78.jpg

viimoparnationalspremia.jpg

dart71licooriginal.jpg

viimoparnationalspassei.jpg

I'll find more pics on the Magnum wheels and put here, okay ??
See ya !!!!

My friends,

Recently I went to Mr. Michel's home & garage, talked to him a lot about his Dodge passion and he showed us some great pics & old stuff taken on the Seventies...We scanned these pics and I decided to share with you, fellas !!
Mr. Michel used to do repair some old & classic cars and he started doing this in the early Forties, when there weren't many resources he could find, in that time and even now...
A great example on his criativity to make some car conversions show on one of these jobs in an almost destroyed by accident 1923 Dodge that turned to be a small truck:

dodge1923pickup.jpg

After that and lots of work he could manage to buy another great car, a 1950 Dodge Kingsway Custom Sedan that was used by the local government agency for almost a decade and came to the garage in a very bad shape condidtion indeed...Here's the result of the meticulous restoration that Mr. Michel made on his property, and we have to say that Dodges in the Fifties are very scarce in Brazil because people here prefered the Fords & Chevys among the options...
Here's Mr. Michel with his caring baby:

dodgekingswaycustom1950.jpg

A look inside the car reveals how much details could be seen, even a fake wood-paint on the dash using only brushes !!

And now we can see both the 50' Dodge and the 70' green Dart next to it, this one was recently returning to use, at that time it was recently bought !!!

Here we can see the same 50' Dodge on a local parade hometown late in the sixties with Mr. Michel behind the wheel:

By 1994 Mr. Michel received a big offer to sell his beloved Dodge to a local collector and he decided that it was time to go...Here's a colour shot on the Dodge the day it was delivered with Mr. Michel and his wife:

As I told before, in the Seventies Mr. Michel as a very skilled and talented mechanic was responsible to give maintenance to all kind of classic cars and his customers started buying more "modern" local production products like Chevy Opala, Ford Galaxie and the Dodge Darts...He decided to make a task force partnership with a local Dodge dealer and helped with his fantastic work. Here's some pictures taken by 1975 showing some of his customer's cars being revised on the garage:

dodgesnaoficinasaojose3.jpg

dodgesnaoficinasaojose4.jpg

In the difficult times of the second world war gasoline was very scarce here, so the local mechanics decided to convert some cars to use gas-generated by combustion apparels, with wood and coal, I don't know how's the name of this in english, but here we used to call "gasogenio" on these apparatus.
Mr. Michel decided to produce some on his own and was very successful on that matter, and after almost 25 years he did a special one hanging behind a 1970 Dodge Dart as an experiment, here's a picture of this car:

dodgedart1970gasognio.jpg

This Dart was sold in the Eighties and the gas-generated equipment was kept to remember how tough were those days...Here's Mr. Michel with his creation:

gasognio19.jpg

Today we can contemplate Mr. Michel stories and share all his knowledge with us, lucky guys...
Here's a shot of the front of his home & garage, a 1940's building projected & made by himself !!

prdiooficinasojos.jpg

And inside this place...Some rarities sleep, waiting for the day they will see the light again...

The 1976 Dodge Charger R/T, stored since 1988
chargery.jpg

A 1970 Dodge Dart, another brother, sleeping since 1987
dart2.jpg

This one was the luckiest guy: a 1971 Dodge Dart Coupé,a private property for more than thirty years serving the Michel family, still on use after all these years...

douradoh.jpg

Here's my humble homage to this extraordinary man that still sparkle the Mopar flame in our hearts...Thank you very very much, Mr. Michel !!!

seudanilo.jpg

Thank you folks, so good to share goos stories envolving our beloved A-bodies !!!
And I can tell you, that PURE PASSION & LOVE !!!

buzian,

The AC compressor on Mr. Michel's '71 Dart Coupe appears to be a Tecumseh cast-iron one, as on my '65 Dart. I suspect mine was dealer-installed since the under-dash box appears add-on. Mr. Michel's passenger unit appears factory, though different than U.S. models. The Tecumseh compressor is heavy, so I am replacing with a newer rotary type. The aluminum York compressor has the same bolt pattern and should replace the Tecumseh (have one on my '65 Newport). Easy to find since many Ford's used them. Usually ~$100 and you can find the clutches alone. My Tecumseh has a larger diameter clutch than the York, so don't know if clutches interchange. Mr. Michel's clutch is missing and hate to imagine him sweating in the Brazilian heat.

IMHO This has been the BEST thread on FABO in quite some time. I have it bookmarked and keep going back to look at the pics. Thanks for posting the pics. Got any more? PLEASE?

Bill,

In fact this air conditioning unit was a dealer installed option but the complete kit was furnished by Chrysler of Brazil at that time...It's partially dismantled just to change some bearings that make some noise, hope to fix them soon, just before the summer days...
Thanks for the tip about the modern compressors, sure it'll be very helpful for us !!
See ya !!

IMHO This has been the BEST thread on FABO in quite some time. I have it bookmarked and keep going back to look at the pics. Thanks for posting the pics. Got any more? PLEASE?

My friend,

Your wish is our command, LOL !!!
Last saturday we went to a local meet that usually happens monthly, and this time it was the first appearance on the Michel's 1970 green Dart with his garage brother, the 1971 gold Dart Coupé...
Here are some great shots on the place (I even took our 1979 Dart to pose with his "older brothers" too !!!)

1002840x.jpg

1002805p.jpg

1002806.jpg

1002807q.jpg

1002808b.jpg

dart70museudotrem17.jpg

dart70museudotrem14.jpg

dart70museudotrem10.jpg

dart70museudotrem16.jpg

Now a close look to the engine bay:

1002829.jpg

1002830j.jpg

1002831.jpg

And here's Mr. Michel happy with his family altogether:

1002832p.jpg

And me among the "Dodge Legends"...

1002834.jpg

1002835.jpg

Next stop...Mr. Michel's barn !!!
All Dodges required !!!
(Soon, on FABO threads...Don't even THINK on changing the channel, pal !!!!)

Great thread and fantastic photos, thanks for taking the time to do this.

Thanks, my friend !!!

And I would really like to show you another great brazilian blog showing a very skilled and fine job on restoring a 1972 Dart Coupé to a very mean street machine...
This is one of my closest friends, Giovanni, who has this incredible page telling us the great story behind his rare barn find car, and believe it or not, it was a "DIESEL" powered one !!!! (Not original, of course...Chrysler of Brazil never did such a shame !!!)
Giovanni saved this Dart's soul and now he's rebuilding it with some great and neat parts, lots of good stuff coming from the USA, please have a good look, that's worth A LOT the visit !!

www.dart72.blogspot.com

See ya, FABO friends !!!

-
Back