Break in time for new engine

-
Next time just ask the builder about the break in period, cause everyone has a lil diff opinion on this...so if something went wrong and u were to tell the guy you followed someone elses advice that u found the internet, he might tell u tough sht when it comes to any possible warranty.

The engine won't break--its how well the rings seal and how the bearings wear in. Its at 15,000 miles--non strokers--you start seeing ring problems.

I think oil changes are more important than how you drive it. I like running it for 40 mins to break the cam in, change the oil/filter. Drive it a few hundred miles and change oil/filter again. This way the metal that wore away is gone.

I think I changed the oil/filter again once it hit 1,000 miles. Then its every 3 or 4 months cause oil breaks down with time if the car is driven most days. At $45 an oil change it sure isn't cheap but neither is fuel.

If the engine smokes like crazy or spins a bearing, etc and the builder said its cause you drove it wrong--expect for hitting 8,000 rpm's he be full of it.

Now do folks forget to prime the oil system--yep. Spin bone dry empty oil filters on and put 5w-30 oil from wal mart in, yep. they also buy the cheapest oil filters and use 87 octane fuel

Has anyone had success using rare earth magnets on the oil filter or on the oil pan to trap metallic particles? You can also buy an oil filter magnet that covers the complete end of the oil filter.

Has anyone had success using rare earth magnets on the oil filter or on the oil pan to trap metallic particles? You can also buy an oil filter magnet that covers the complete end of the oil filter.
I use magnetic drain plug , filter SHOULD catch any of the bigger pieces . So far have not seen much on plug since rebuild 10,000 mile ago

GIVER,when I have a engine built,in the process of the build I tell the machinist build her well because after a few hot and cold cycles I plan on flooring it,my last builder said go for it.

GIVER,when I have a engine built,in the process of the build I tell the machinist build her well because after a few hot and cold cycles I plan on flooring it,my last builder said go for it.
All this as long as its not running to hot from the start.

If they took it to 470 hp on the dyno, then it is 'broken in".

Drive it as hard as you have the sack to. Nothing is going to "seat" or change after a few dyno pulls.

Some folks like to re-torque after the dyno, but I have never felt that did anything for the assembly.

Drop it in the car, put fresh oil in it and drive it. Change the oil at 2k.

B.

Yeah. They went through 2 oil filters and changes while my stroker was on the dyno. The motor is broken in. It will get stomped on as soon as I get used to the extra power and can keep it straight. More worried about what breaks next in the drivetrain. I will change the oil frequently tthe first few though as I like to see how things are doing via the oil and filter which I cut open.

I use magnetic drain plug , filter SHOULD catch any of the bigger pieces . So far have not seen much on plug since rebuild 10,000 mile ago
I'm using a magnetic plug as well it works great I changed the oil when the car got back from Moparfest and the plug looked like it had a fro but that was after a 5000 km highway break in run I'm sold on them

My first hi perf build the builder said floor it , drive it hard from the start , builder was Terry "Zeke " Maxwell , good advice . If you have a shady builder not sure of his work he will tell you take it easy hoping the warranty period is over before you stress it and it blows up .
That first build lasted 12 years and over 120,000 miles before I sold the car . So far that advice has worked

"" I'm using a magnetic plug as well it works great I changed the oil when the car got back from Moparfest and the plug looked like it had a fro but that was after a 5000 km highway break in run I'm sold on them 10-16-2011 04:57 PM ""

Mine had a bit of metal on it as well after the first oil change , not an afro but enough that i was glad I had the magnetic plug .

-
Back