Brewtus' DustAAR (hopefully) build. Don't expect much.

-

Brewtus

Old washed-up Streetracer
Reaction score
Picked up this '72 Duster last summer in trade for....junk. I think I came out pretty well -

DUSTER003.jpg

DUSTER002.jpg

The car came with lots of spares...

DUSTER004.jpg

DUSTER005.jpg

DUSTER007.jpg

I cleaned up the hantavirus-n-filth out of the car last summer and parked it.

DUSTER022.jpg

DUSTER020.jpg

DUSTER019.jpg

DUSTER018.jpg

I made a trip down to Roswell, NM to my dad's place last month to retrieve some parts left over from my first Duster that I had squirreled away some 25 years ago. I picked up the 8-3/4" rear that I kept, along with a 340 and 440 steel cranks that I had. I clean forgot that I had the 440. The 340 and 440 blocks and hardware will be picked up later this month -

JohnnysJanuary2011.jpg

The 8-3/4" got scuffed and painted today. Not a huge start, but a start nonetheless. My '75 Class-C RV and '77 B-200 are checking the progress -

Dusterpics102.jpg

Dusterpics103.jpg

Rattlecaned!!!

Dusterpics104.jpg

Dusterpics105.jpg

More to come. When time and money allow. \\:D/

looks pretty solid love those little z cars it looks like 280 in the background

Love the trunk key. Looks like a good solid start. I'll keep an eye on this one.:coffee2:

Thanks everyone. This will certainly not be a fast build, but I am working on it when time and funds allow. There will be more soon.

Nice trials bike. I would love to have one.

Careful what you wish for. I thought it "looked cool" about 7 years ago. I now own 6 Trials bikes, and have been a board member in the local club for 3 years now. I all but ignore the 9 other bikes I own.

Thanks for the compliment on the 315. That bike isn't even mine. It belongs to the wife, who also competes. :D

Yeah, it's been a while. I did not really want to post pictures of a pile of parts, but some work has begun.

I disassembled the OD 833 I got with the car. Does not look too bad, and I've already made arrangements to have countershaft bushings made.

Duster001_zpsf1588cca.jpg

Duster003_zpsc846a218.jpg

I also went down to my dad's place in Roswell to retrieve some parts I've had stashed there for around 25 years or so. I got my last 340 block, and a 440 I clean forgot I have, along with some Craig'slist fodder -

DerPig054_zpsb08e0306.jpg

More to come..... :D

So are you going to to build your Duster like the original DustAAR ? Its mentioned in the title thread but there no mention of the build plans ?

Attachments

• DustAAR_MG_7870.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 572
  • DustAAR_100_4107-1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 647
I have that rear lip on the DUSTAAR if you want to purchase it.

So are you going to to build your Duster like the original DustAAR ? Its mentioned in the title thread but there no mention of the build plans ?

When I started the thread, I had no idea that car existed. My plans are for more of a AAR/Autodynamics style Trans-Am racer, not a show car. No 6-pack, nor anything really related to the street oriented AAR Cuda. Caged, bare floors (well, maybe Line-X'd floors anyway), lightweight buckets, Firm Feel suspension bits, Minilite (or Minilite knockoffs), 340 and a 4-speed. It will have license plates and be legal and all, but it will be more of a car to take to track days at the local road course. Heck, I might even try Autocrossing with it. The last time (which was also the first time) I Autocrossed was in the '80's with my old Duster (the one in my Avatar). That car was set up for drag racing (well OK, street racing) and was more of a cone Zamboni than a competitive Autocrosser. I had fun though, and always wanted to build a roadracing-style A-body. I'm doing that now. Very slowly, but doing it. The 340 block I retrieved does not look good though. I'll keep you posted. eventually. :mrgreen:

When you get closer, I make/sell Duster AAR style stripes. There's a listing for them in the classified ad section

Attachments

• Duster aar w 340 stripe pic 1.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 532
  • DSC_3803.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 504
Not to highjack your thread but does anyone have any info on the front spoiler used on the Dustaar?

Nice. I love '72's! They have the best front end and taillights, I think. Was there birds living in the trunk?!? Now that's what I call a "Super-Coupe"!

supergalo1.gif

When you get closer, I make/sell Duster AAR style stripes. There's a listing for them in the classified ad section

Those do look sharp. If I don't go with the Superbird-style "Plymouth" callout on the rear of the car, I'll go with those. :thumbrig:

Nice. I love '72's! They have the best front end and taillights, I think. Was there birds living in the trunk?!? Now that's what I call a "Super-Coupe"!

Birds, yes. Along with squirrels, mice, rabbits, and a cat or two. The car was abandoned in the east mountain area for years before I got it. Now it sits under a carport while I gather parts for it, now home to city-dwellers such as birds, squirrels, mice, rabbits, and a cat or two. :sad7:

What kind of shape does the spot-welded-on muffler hanger look for the "other" muffler? The one for the dual exhaust.....would that be the right side?

It's probably history, huh?

Hmmm, don't know. I'll check when I get home this afternoon.

Not much progress. The 340 block I retrieved last weekend is not in good shape. I need to have it inspected at the machine shop, but I'm pretty booked up for the next 3 weeks or so.

-
Back