Brighter Headlights??

-

Dartness

Reaction score
Can I achieve brighter Headlights somehow on my 63 Dart? I'm hoping to upgrade to a halogen bulb or something. Anybody know if this is possible? How do I do this?

Message FABO member "crackedback" as he's addressed the brightness and safety issues that was inherently built into our cars. The best and most sensible upgrade you can make.

There are tons of threads here on everything from adding relays to better bulbs. Use the search function and you'll be reading for hours!

This all depends on your available cash. You can go Sylvania Halogen, all the way up to projector or HID kits.
One good upgrade is to run relays for the headlights to maximize the voltage to the bulbs.
Ditch the ammeter and put in a volt gauge while you are at it.

Here's a little info you can actually use.

The relay kits (weather done as a DIY or a prebuilt kit) is the best bang for the buck on these older headlights.
I would have to say mine are easily twice as bright with the relays instead of running the amp load through 20 feet of undersized wire.

I did mine DIY best thing i did, rewired from under battery tray out all new harness with larger wire reused orig headlight plugs with new connectors, added the relays too,the headlights are WAY brighter than before and with the electronic voltage Regulator no more pulsing of the lights at idle!!! I think the guys name is Dan on this forum he posted several good DIY's on electrical upgrades.

1.....Read the mad article. Go through the charging system and get it and the wiring and bulkhead connector up to snuff

2....consider what to use for headlights. There's some guy calls him self slanty eyed six dan or some thing

3...Buy a relay kit from crackedback or research and built your own.

That is all..................

what the other guys said.. make sure everything is in good condition and use a relay kit. should take care of the issue.

To answer your question: yes!

Do a search for posts by SlantSixDan - he is a real automotive lighting expert and he has some outstanding advice on upgrading all of the lights on our A-bodies.

I think some old sealed beamed just get old & put out less light. A set of new halogen sealed beams might make a very significant difference (i think Dan recommend GE Nighthawk).

Making sure the lights are getting the highest voltage ( or battery voltage) will also help- relays are used to accomplish this.

There's great info on this topic and also how to upgrade all the lights on our vintage Mopars.

1.....Read the mad article. Go through the charging system and get it and the wiring and bulkhead connector up to snuff

2....consider what to use for headlights. There's some guy calls him self slanty eyed six dan or some thing

3...Buy a relay kit from crackedback or research and built your own.

That is all..................

"slanty eyed dan"
Holy crap, did Dan get Chineeserized now too? :D

I put H4s in Motorcycle housings in my 68FormulaS buckets and used the original headlamp wiring to trigger relays right behind the buckets. I powered up the relays from battery power through an auto-reset relay, and a fat wire.IIRC it was 10ga.
A world of difference
And you can buy the H4s in several different energy ratings.
The M type reflectors may not be legal every where. There are other offerings for automotive useage. I play nice with others and dip early, but I'm also seldom on the road after dark, and I live in a rural, low-traffic area.

-
Back