Bring it on

-

GonnaBQuick

Reaction score
Ok here is what i know. going with a 440 + 727 transbrake. want to at LEAST beat 500hp to rear wheel. so gentlemen ladies too. what are some particulars you advise to breathe life and FIRE into this baby. gonna go single card, no juice, roller cams alum heads etc.

locker or spool for your differential my 440 727 transbrake will eat up posi clutch packs

How much money do you have for the driveline build? What are you starting with?

basic 440 build with a good forged piston in 10.5:1 range

solid lifter cam with 550+l lift 250 ish duration

set of eddy performer or stealth heads prepped by a shop that knows mopars.

set of quality roller rockers in 1.5 or 1.6 ratio.

mopar m1 intake or eddy performer rpm.

950 holley dp.

set of 2" headers.

nearly impossible not to make 500hp.

500 to the wheels is a stout 440, I'm guessing around 600 HP at the flywheel. Good compression, spend the money on the heads, you'll need them to hit 600 HP.

Who is going to build this engine? I ask because you don't just bolt parts together and get what you are asking for. And why is someone who REALLY knows how to build an engine that is going to make 500+ rear wheel horsepower and LIVE, going to give that information to you for FREE? What did it cost them to learn their lessons on horsepower? Free advice on an engine build of that nature will be worth the cost you've payed for it.

well considering i didn't exactly consider anyone in here competition....yet, guess i was just hope for a sharing of the wealth of knowldege i know exist on here. my buddy who has his own speed shop and low 9's 68 camaro will be doing the build. alos be seeking advice, guidance from one of his friends Steve Wann local Mopar guy out here in Central Cal. I consider myself a researcher (sometimes too much) so I was just doing some explortory information seeking.

If I read your first post correctly, you don't want to go with aluminum, I.E. aftermarket heads. To make what I would guess to be a 600 crank HP 440, you are going to need a really well thought out combo of intake, cylinder head flow, cam timing and exhaust. I am pretty sure by the time you prep a set of iron heads to reach that level, you would be money ahead with some aftermarket heads.

low-buck will give you 500hp at the flywheel. iron heads/holley dp/headers/whatever cam you go with wont matter. heads are the limiting factor. 9.5:1 comp. (aftermarket pistons). 400hp at the wheels.

eddy performer rpm alum heads, a good set of rockers so you can run a .557 or .590 mopar solid lifter cam, holley double pumper, eddy performer rpm intake, with the 9-10:1 comp pistons and headers will get you where you want to be. dont forget the converter. should be close to 500hp at the wheels. you better upgrade the yoke/slip yoke to 1350 spicer ujoints also... or you will just pop them.

well considering i didn't exactly consider anyone in here competition....yet, guess i was just hope for a sharing of the wealth of knowldege i know exist on here. my buddy who has his own speed shop and low 9's 68 camaro will be doing the build. alos be seeking advice, guidance from one of his friends Steve Wann local Mopar guy out here in Central Cal. I consider myself a researcher (sometimes too much) so I was just doing some explortory information seeking.

I would talk to Mr. Wann about what you need for your 500 hp 440...i am sure he can steer you in the right directon.

There are some builders that are here because they care enough to give some help. And others that are here to self promote and bring in business. I've always found the former leads to the latter but maybe that's just my experience.
In any event - I'll be blunt - From my experience - without some very expensive work and that includes the trans and rear - you won't get your naturrally aspirated horsepower goal with factory iron heads. Maybe the better question - which will also be based on what you can spend and what you have, is how quick does the car have to be, and how do you plan to use it?

There are some builders that are here because they care enough to give some help. And others that are here to self promote and bring in business. I've always found the former leads to the latter but maybe that's just my experience.
In any event - I'll be blunt - From my experience - without some very expensive work and that includes the trans and rear - you won't get your naturrally aspirated horsepower goal with factory iron heads. Maybe the better question - which will also be based on what you can spend and what you have, is how quick does the car have to be, and how do you plan to use it?

Completely true. And let me add; help yes, design no. We have built 700 HP 440s with factory iron heads. It costs blood, sweat, tears and DOLLARS and sometimes even a wife. Love to "help", but keep it real. The cylinder heads for that effort will cost $3,500 for the port work, guides and valves. How many sets do you want?

Does the motor need to stay a 440 or do you have the budget to make it bigger? You gonna use the stock block or modify it or use an aftermarket block? Start to consider those choices and you are looking at a $2000+ stock block after a good girdle/caps and machine work, and $3000+ for an iron aftermarket block. Get into a rotating assyand you can easliy spend another $3K for good stuff or $2K for 440 Source stuff. Hell, I'll sell you a 520" (4.375 stroke x 4.350 bore) 440 Source rotating kit new and balanced for $1600 plus the ride and throw in a SFI flexplate. That would get you started on your way.

Local speed shop has a sign that reads "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

-
Back