BRITNEY CRASHES

-
That didnt look too bad to me...Course I never hit a wall at 130....Was she trying to power out of the slide? Watch slowmo and her zoomies many frames into the slide. Get off it, girl!

brit1.19.jpg

“Brittany smoked her tires. We didn’t expect it to do that,” Johnson told Stern. “Then she didn’t get off the throttle in time and then gave it the gas too late. That spun her around, and she was out of control. She was just too aggressive and needed to be more patient.

“Unfortunately, in this sport, there is no room for error. You can’t make any mistakes. You saw what happened when she did,” he said.

“Brittany injured her shoulder in the crash. There’s no concussion, but she’s going to be really sore,” Alan Johnson, Force’s tuning consultant, told Elliott Stern of the Santa Maria Times. “She took some really hard hits into the wall. She’s going to be sore for a while.

“We hope to get her back on the track as soon as we can, but there’s a possibility that she could be out for a while. We’ll get her a new car together in time for Phoenix. If she’s ready to go, we’ll get going again.”

That first slam was pretty hard.

That is what happens went you put Chevy decals on Nitro Burning Hemi.....

Elliot was at the Winternationals? He's been on the sports page for a hundred years. He does like the motorsports. Whenever we needed good press for Karting, he was to Go To Guy. 3.28 in TF? Is that what I read?

Elliot is an acquaintance the writes for the sports page of our local paper. Ahhh 3.62, read Millican had reset the record, got numbers fouled up :rolleyes:

I turned the TV coverage on in time to see Kallita be interviewed. The video of one of his runs it looked like the body of the car was wanting to head to Covina without the car. Little bits flying off as he went. Hope Brittany heals up well.

I turned the TV coverage on in time to see Kallita be interviewed. The video of one of his runs it looked like the body of the car was wanting to head to Covina without the car. Little bits flying off as he went. Hope Brittany heals up well.

Kind of looked like the rear of the body panels on the right side was 'waving' to the spectators as the car went down the track.

Last edited:
The stuff you can see now with the super slo mo cameras is incredible, on some of these violent engine explosions you can sometimes identify various parts exiting and becoming airborne.

Long ago when drag racing was still a part of SoCal culture we went to Orange County Int. Raceway for a nitro show. Sun was down, header fires were long, Gary Beck banged the blower right at the green. We saw the blower go up until it left the lights. We never did see it come down. People were scurrying for cover.

It's been said that racing rulebooks are written in blood. Something bad happens, changes are made, although sometimes it takes a little while to happen.

More cockpit padding and safety gear improvements were made after Eric Medlen died, this and changes in car construction made it possible for her to survive that crash.

The crash that Steve Torrance had last fall was similar to the one that killed Blaine Johnson at Indy in '96, I was there, I saw it happen. Changes in track design and car construction helped make it possible for Steve to survive that crash.

Back in '79 at Indy a nitro car launched a blower way in the air, it hit a TV cameraman on a three story tall scaffolding, knocking him off and killing him. I was there that time as well and saw that happen. Now we have the blower restraints and ballistic bags to contain pieces from exploding blowers. I have a picture of a track official carrying a piece of a blower rotor after one let go.

These are just a few of numerous changes made over the years to try to help make bad events survivable.

“Brittany smoked her tires. We didn’t expect it to do that,” Johnson told Stern. “Then she didn’t get off the throttle in time and then gave it the gas too late. That spun her around, and she was out of control. She was just too aggressive and needed to be more patient.

“Unfortunately, in this sport, there is no room for error. You can’t make any mistakes. You saw what happened when she did,” he said.

“Brittany injured her shoulder in the crash. There’s no concussion, but she’s going to be really sore,” Alan Johnson, Force’s tuning consultant, told Elliott Stern of the Santa Maria Times. “She took some really hard hits into the wall. She’s going to be sore for a while.

“We hope to get her back on the track as soon as we can, but there’s a possibility that she could be out for a while. We’ll get her a new car together in time for Phoenix. If she’s ready to go, we’ll get going again.”
I agree with the first part, She was too aggressive and "stayed in it" a touch too long, but I think She timed getting back in it about as well as possible. It looks like She
"soft shoe'd" back into it trying not to upset it & just blow the tires away again, but the rail tilted when it swung back & that wing got air under it, & the rear was off the
ground and across the track and no drivin' is gonna fix that................

Long ago when drag racing was still a part of SoCal culture we went to Orange County Int. Raceway for a nitro show. Sun was down, header fires were long, Gary Beck banged the blower right at the green. We saw the blower go up until it left the lights. We never did see it come down. People were scurrying for cover.

LOL, I was there too! I miss those night events.

DFX ^5 We were desert rats, made the trip over Cajon Pass for OCIR and Irwindale pretty much whenever we heard BE THERE on KLOS or KFXM. Good times we had. :lol:

Reading these OCIR stories reminds me of one of the many times I was there.
I don't remember who it was but one of the nitro cars blew an engine/trans and launched the flywheel straight up in the air. Went up way high and must have been spinning a bunch because when it came down and hit the track it took off for the pits. Must have been like a spinning circular saw blade.
Good thing it didn't hit anyone in the pits. Don't remember if it hit anything at all.
Scary!

-
Back