Broke my water pump bolt. Now what? (Update - broken bolt is out)

-
Probably not enough for that extractor. You do gave a little material to weld a nut on though. The ones that break off below the surface are tough to weld a nut on. You have to build up weld to the surface. A welding or machine shop is your friend.
Yeah, I agree that my local machine shop could have it out in a jiffy. As always, transport is the hangup. I have no way of moving the engine there. The motor is on a stand in my garage and weighs about 400 lbs. dressed. I don't have an engine lift or tow vehicle, nor do I own any welding equipment or have any experience welding. It would be a very simple task for my machine shop guy, as I've brought him smaller items before for bolt extraction. So I'll just have to get creative and use the drilling/Easy Out/Liquid Wrench/hammer tapping methods and all the other great recommendations that guys have sent me. One way or other, it's coming out. Right now, it's soaking in PB Blaster. I know that if I could get it cherry red, it would come right out but I don't have the stuff to do this, other than a small hand held propane torch used in plumbing. I'll keep working on it, though. I already have the new water pump from NAPA and I'll install it ASAP once the bolt is out.

Red Loctite again. : ) Make sure its "use by date" is not expired. I slightly do remember I did do this successfully once on an exhaust manifold broken stud. If the threads are not mangled from vice grips and you can grab a few threads with the nut on it, it very well may work and is worth a try IMO. No welding or drilling or transport or other hassle required.

Red Loctite again. : ) Make sure its "use by date" is not expired. I slightly do remember I did do this successfully once on an exhaust manifold broken stud. If the threads are not mangled from vice grips and you can grab a few threads with the nut on it, it very well may work and is worth a try IMO. No welding or drilling or transport or other hassle required.
Could you let me know the procedure for doing this? Thanks.

Exhaust manifold bolts are a but different from water pump bolts. They are smaller 5/16" diameter. Most go through a fairly thine ear on that manifold. Nothing much for it to seize to except the head. Several of the 3/8" water pump bolts go through the timing cover before entering the block so if they are seized they can be seized to that also.
The one close picture we have doesn't really show what this broken bolt goes through but with the approx' 3 threads showing it may be directly into the block and not through a timing cover.
All I know for sure, If I already had the engine on a stand with ample access to it, I would have had my drills and a tap out days ago.
If you watch Youtube you would find "side by size comparison" of products that claim (certainly appear so) to work much better than PB Blaster. But then again, at home I could be well past the issue before such a product arrived in my mailbox.
You have to understand that I worked in plant maintenance of a textile mill for 10 years. We dealt with this sort of thing at least once per week. The "fixers" in weave room, spinning room, etc,,, had only a prescribed group of tools required to make the typical adjustments and/or repairs on those particular machines. If/when they broke a bolt, a workorder was delivered to the machine shop.
After dragging a toolbox across the plant to where needed, "I'm going to go smoke while you bolt the part back in place so it provides a center guide to that bolt". The look on their face was sometimes priceless. LOL They truth was, I'll be placing as much as 100 feet of drop cord from the nearest outlet. More or less as much air hose too if its need is expected. Only chemicals we had was a spray solvent labeled 711 and a can of rapid tap. In majority of cases a spark or flame was not allowed. Too much adjacent grease and fibers to ignite.
If/when a side grinder was required, a second man with fire extinguisher in hand was required at stand by.
Remember that old saying, "Keep on sucin' 'till you succeeds" :)

Sure, glue a nut onto the stud and spin it right out. There's a reason why the stud broke in the first place. It is either cross threaded or corroded in so bad that it wouldn't turn from the start. That's why it broke in the first place. . Good luck with the glue.

Last edited:
Exhaust manifold bolts are a but different from water pump bolts. They are smaller 5/16" diameter. Most go through a fairly thine ear on that manifold. Nothing much for it to seize to except the head. Several of the 3/8" water pump bolts go through the timing cover before entering the block so if they are seized they can be seized to that also.
The one close picture we have doesn't really show what this broken bolt goes through but with the approx' 3 threads showing it may be directly into the block and not through a timing cover.
Not on a /6. Yeah they go thru the timing cover on a small block for sure.
If he tried the red loctite idea understand that the once the loctite was in the nut, the nut on the stub, that it would have to sit a good while and allowed to "set up" like at least overnight before he tried to undo it. I agree it probably won't work but being the most likely source of corrosion was the dissimilar metals with the steel bolt, cast iron block and aluminum water pump, and the water pump was able to be slid over the remains, it may well not be stuck all that right in the block ..
I too would have had it out before this thread got to be more than 5 posts long. ..

Yeah, I agree that my local machine shop could have it out in a jiffy. As always, transport is the hangup. I have no way of moving the engine there. The motor is on a stand in my garage and weighs about 400 lbs. dressed. I don't have an engine lift or tow vehicle, nor do I own any welding equipment or have any experience welding. It would be a very simple task for my machine shop guy, as I've brought him smaller items before for bolt extraction. So I'll just have to get creative and use the drilling/Easy Out/Liquid Wrench/hammer tapping methods and all the other great recommendations that guys have sent me. One way or other, it's coming out. Right now, it's soaking in PB Blaster. I know that if I could get it cherry red, it would come right out but I don't have the stuff to do this, other than a small hand held propane torch used in plumbing. I'll keep working on it, though. I already have the new water pump from NAPA and I'll install it ASAP once the bolt is out.
Trust me, leave out the ease out.

Every solution known to man is listed here, and should be a sticky. chop chop get r done :lol:
Still working the problem. Heated it up again, more PB Blaster, cooled it, tried to turn with a vise grips. No luck - wouldn't budge. Have totally buggered up the threads on the shaft. Before doing this, tried to fit an extraction tool on the protruding part. Not enough length to make the connection. Next step - drilling it for a bolt extractor tool. Going out to buy left hand drill bits.

Still working the problem. Heated it up again, more PB Blaster, cooled it, tried to turn with a vise grips. No luck - wouldn't budge. Have totally buggered up the threads on the shaft. Before doing this, tried to fit an extraction tool on the protruding part. Not enough length to make the connection. Next step - drilling it for a bolt extractor tool. Going out to buy left hand drill bits.
Hind sight is 20/20, I would of stopped before the threads got totally destroyed, and as mentioned above instead of a nut, I`d use a rod coupler as a guide. I would of ground the bolt flat to keep a bit from walking, just to get a good center started. Even then, it`s tough to keep a bit from walking over. I`m a weldor so you know what my first attempt would be.
Good luck we`re rooting for ya :thumbsup:

You should’ve followed post 23 and the center of the bolt would have been established.

“Do you have anyone with access to a lathe? I’d take a bolt the size of the broken off one and drill a hole through the center the size of the hole you would be using for an easy out. Then thread a nut on to the bolt that is broken off and thread the bolt with the hole in it into the nut. You can then use the bolt with the hole as a drill guide. If you don’t want to use an easy out that’s fine because at least you have a centered hole to use to progressively drill the hole bigger until you can barely see the threads. Sometimes you can get lucky with the reverse twist drills while doing this and the bolt will back out while your are drilling“.

You should’ve followed post 23 and the center of the bolt would have been established.

“Do you have anyone with access to a lathe? I’d take a bolt the size of the broken off one and drill a hole through the center the size of the hole you would be using for an easy out. Then thread a nut on to the bolt that is broken off and thread the bolt with the hole in it into the nut. You can then use the bolt with the hole as a drill guide. If you don’t want to use an easy out that’s fine because at least you have a centered hole to use to progressively drill the hole bigger until you can barely see the threads. Sometimes you can get lucky with the reverse twist drills while doing this and the bolt will back out while your are drilling“.
A lathe would be good but I believe the engine is on a stand.

Ya know, I'm tempted to comment but I was told if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything....

Some very technically competent people have made suggestions, unfortunately those suggestions have fallen on deaf ears...

Good Luck..

Don't bother with left hand bits. They will unscrew themselves only if the bolt is loose. I wouldn't even drill a hole for a extractor at this point. Welding on a nut is the best way. If that doesn't work, remove the head and have the machine shop drill and retap. Trust me, I have seen this scenario before.

Don't bother with left hand bits. They will unscrew themselves only if the bolt is loose. I wouldn't even drill a hole for a extractor at this point. Welding on a nut is the best way. If that doesn't work, remove the head and have the machine shop drill and retap. Trust me, I have seen this scenario before.
It's not on the head. It's a timing cover bolt. It's on the front of the block.

Doesn't change the fact left hand bits are a waste of time and will actually make getting the bolt out more difficult if/when the bolt is actually removed....

I own a full 32 bit set of left hand bits, I know when they are useful & when to go a different direction... In this case a welded nut is the best/easiest option...

Then haul the fricken block off to the machine shop and have it removed. Is it the timing cover only? Remove it and take it into the machine shop. I have read through this thread and still don't know what the damn bolt screws into. It really doesn't matter. Haul the thing in and get it removed. How many hours of members time have been wasted here! Geez man (the op) use your head!

3 pages, who has time. I would have the damn thing out and the engine in and running by now.
He has no welder, doesn`t want to buy one or learn how to.
He has no engine lift or truck to haul engine off.
How he`s going to install IDK, guess he`s using a rafter and chainfall?
He does have an engine stand :thumbsup:
The broken bolt saga shall continue, stay tuned for tomorrows win or fail.

He has no welder, doesn`t want to buy one or learn how to.
He has no engine lift or truck to haul engine off.
How he`s going to install IDK, guess he`s using a rafter and chainfall?
He does have an engine stand :thumbsup:
The broken bolt saga shall continue, stay tuned for tomorrows win or fail.
Call a frickin tow truck. Any friends. A slant block fits in a pick up box pretty easy. These are all excuses.

Then haul the fricken block off to the machine shop and have it removed. Is it the timing cover only? Remove it and take it into the machine shop. I have read through this thread and still don't know what the damn bolt screws into. It really doesn't matter. Haul the thing in and get it removed. How many hours of members time have been wasted here! Geez man (the op) use your head!
Naw. It's in the block. Where the timing cover bolts to the block. Gosh Mike, it's explained thoroughly with a picture in the first post. He's said he has no way to haul it. No reason to beat the guy up. He's trying the best he can.

-
Back