Broken dip stick tube

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
Just as i progress along something seems to always happen:banghead:I was taking off the alt. to clean it up better when i slipped and hit the dip stick......I bent it back and YAHHHHHH:banghead: It broke off in my hand. Of course the motor is in the car now...No oil in the pan but is there any way i can get this out without dropping the pan??????DAMMMIT

You will have to pull the accessories off the right side of the engine giving you room to get to whats left of the dipstick and hopefully there is enough to take a chisel and hammer and tap it, to flatten it out enough and maby you can get a grip on the remainder with some Vice Grips and work it out. good luck David

I had this happen several times actually lol... I made a tool for it. You take a self tapping screw and thread it into the dip tube, then I bent a coat hanger around the screw with a washer, attached it to a slide hammer and wack... it's out !

I had this happen several times actually lol... I made a tool for it. You take a self tapping screw and thread it into the dip tube, then I bent a coat hanger around the screw with a washer, attached it to a slide hammer and wack... it's out !

Great Idea.

Have done the same a couple times. Works great.

I've done the same to get them out, then used a piece of metal fuel line to make a new one. If you measure the old one it's not hard to get it the right length.

I was going to say trans cooler line but, same thing.

I've done the same to get them out, then used a piece of metal fuel line to make a new one. If you measure the old one it's not hard to get it the right length.

I use a tap the proper size to thread into the I.D. of the tube and coat it with grease to keep any metal chips from falling into the pan. Once it has threads, use a bolt, vice grips, hammer method mentioned above. or a threaded slide hammer. Sometimes the stub will come loose as you turn the tap, making the other steps unnecessary.

Good ideas above. If you have a heat gun to expand the block a little in that area that will also help free it up.

5/16-18 NC tap, at least 24 inch length of 5/15 all thread rod, about 8 inches of 1 inch schd 80 black pipe, a couple of fender washers and nuts. These are the tools I have specificly for this task. I even magnetized the tap. That and bearing grease in its flutes all everything we can do to keep the clips out of the engine. The tap doesn't create a full thread or create a lot of chip. You'll need a inch or more thread depth with your tap
so the all thread doesn't strip them out. A long 3/8 drive extension upside down will drive the tap.

-
Back