Broken key in ignition!

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
Well I have been living with half my key broken off in my ignition. Is my only option to take apart the entire column to get it out?

This is all I have left. I'm not fishing out the rest but a magnet may work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 224
There have been similar threads. Replies included some very creative methods to get the piece out of there. I always wonder how this happens in the first place. If a defective lock cylinder or ignition switch caused it, wouldn't it happen again ? If that's the case, repair does require disassembly from horn button down to the cylinder.

Just throwing this out what about a electrical terminal removal tool? Has two spring steel prongs that might get in there and grab it?

What I've done is take a piece of thin gas welding rod, and wrap elec tape around a couple inches at one end as insulation leaving the tip bare. Place the bare, taped end of the rod into the ignition against the broken key, (the tape insulates against side contact) then brush (momentarily touch) a live 12 volt wire against the other end of the rod.

This will usually cause the rod to arc/fuse (weld) to the key, and you can generally wiggle the key stub out. Sometimes it take a few tries.

The rod can get warm/hot, so be aware.

Worst case if you supply too much power too long, is the key welds to the lock, and you're back to square one, taking the ignition switch to a locksmith...

This'll work on door/trunk keys as well.

hope it helps

have you tried to loosen it out with a hard shot of compressed air? maybe get a pick and hook tool set and jiggle the piece while you push air at it... 3rd one down might be your pick of choice...

Attachments

• hts923_hook_and_pick_st.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 177
That sucks and it's just the tip. I have a column here with a key or you may have to replace the ignition. That is in there deep. Try talking to a locksmith and see what they say. Do you have a spare key? Take a grinder to the ends of 2 paper clips to cause a burr and see if you can fish it out by catching the burr on the key too.

Lift the car into the air, with the grill towards the sky, and shake it real hard.:violent1::banghead: I should fall out???
Sorry...I just couldn't resist!!
Treblig

Can you get the lock turned using the broken stub? If so you should be able to remove the lock cylinder

You are going to have to pull the wheel and lock ring.... Should be able to hit the release pin after that....

Lift the car into the air, with the grill towards the sky, and shake it real hard.:violent1::banghead: I should fall out???
Sorry...I just couldn't resist!!
Treblig

Shoot, if this in in a beak nose car you should just tell him to scrap the whole thing

A fully-licensed, bonded, and insured locksmith can make duplicate key for ignition. they have perfected the art of knowing exactly what customers want and need. They can also access patented security key-systems.They provide not only routine, but emergency key, core, and cylinder repairs.They are able to cut cabinet, desk, and locker keys as well as repair cabinet, desk, locker, and safe locks.

I have fished broken keys out of locks with a pen vise. The cylinder has to be in position for the key to come out if it were intact. Screw the bit into the key as far as you think it will go without exiting the far end. As you do this, periodically try to pull pen vise out to see if remainder of key will come out. I've usually needed 3/16 inch of the bit in the key before it obliges. Vacuum cylinder afterwards to try to remove any brass shards that may have fallen into the cylinder.

Attachments

• pen_vise.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 121
I just went through this. I just took the tumbler apart and fixed it. I realized I was wasting time and just jumped in.

A fully-licensed, bonded, and insured locksmith can make duplicate key for ignition. they have perfected the art of knowing exactly what customers want and need. They can also access patented security key-systems.They provide not only routine, but emergency key, core, and cylinder repairs.They are able to cut cabinet, desk, and locker keys as well as repair cabinet, desk, locker, and safe locks.

1 post and it is a sales pitch?

I have fished broken keys out of locks with a pen vise. The cylinder has to be in position for the key to come out if it were intact. Screw the bit into the key as far as you think it will go without exiting the far end. As you do this, periodically try to pull pen vise out to see if remainder of key will come out. I've usually needed 3/16 inch of the bit in the key before it obliges. Vacuum cylinder afterwards to try to remove any brass shards that may have fallen into the cylinder.

This seems like a great idea but it also seems very risky.

Check the piece of key you have, if it's brass a super nuclear magnet won't get in out! :coffee2:

Check the piece of key you have, if it's brass a super nuclear magnet won't get in out! :coffee2:

maybe the shockwave from a small nuclear explosion on the opposite side of the column would do the trick :D

-
Back